The Official Guitar Thread

90Proof_sl

shitlord
Thinking about a Suhr, Nash S Model, or an American made Fender Standard. I need a reasonable tremolo system and leaning hard towards the Nash S-63. Dealer wants $1,800, but I think we can work out a decent cash up front price. Somebody talk me into buying one of these guitars.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Thinking about a Suhr, Nash S Model, or an American made Fender Standard. I need a reasonable tremolo system and leaning hard towards the Nash S-63. Dealer wants $1,800, but I think we can work out a decent cash up front price. Somebody talk me into buying one of these guitars.
I have an alder Suhr standard, and it is AWESOME. I was in the market for a strat, played the Suhr, and just couldn't leave without it. It's the most plain looking guitar ever, and was absolutely worth the money. The Aldrich humbucker is greet, but the real gem is the JST ML single coil. Holy shit what a great sounding pickup. Sustain for days and the perfect strat "quack" tone.

Is the dealer you're going through Matt's Music? They're a top-notch shop, great bunch of guys and treat the instruments like gold when they're in the store. I bought two Suhrs and a Warwick from there, along with my Mark V. If you're Suhr or Nash hunting, they're (IMO) the best place to go.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My father build a home-made strat that looks a lot like that Suhr except he only put in a single humbucker and OFR, clearly only one purpose with that guitar. One of the better playing guitars I've ever played.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Whenever I see black tuners on a fenderish headstock I think of super strat Charvels and 80s shred wank. So that would be my reaction to black tuners on that guitar, haha. I don't think it would look bad though, just changes the overall aesthetic from classy to shreddy. Weird how such a small switch could do that.

Otherwise, go for it. Locking tuners are great and Schaller/Spertzel/Gotoh are all good brands.

Seventh

Golden Squire
And what the fuck is wrong with 80's shred wank?

There are two types of guitarists sir. Shredders, and people who aren't skilled enough to shred who hate on it. CHOOSE WISELY.

clearly only one purpose with that guitar
Damn right. To cover Maiden tunes. \m/ Your dad is the man.

Seventh

Golden Squire
He played a shitload of 80's metal in the 80's, so that's what it was used for
Fuck yes. Noodledad FTW. \m/

80's metal played on an 80's style Charvel = glorious. Mark Diglio was the king, fucking ace tone, shred chops for years and cheesy-yet-badass songs with a whole bunch of awesome sluts in every video. What's not to love?
biggrin.png
A buddy of mine actually owns the red Charvel in this video.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Awesome. He had some Charvels too but nowadays he's mostly sold everything off just because he doesn't play as much. He still has some les paul customs, his homemade strat, some regular fender strats, a weird 12 string and for some reason one of those headless guitars (Steinberger or whatever).

I like to pretend he's better than me, but he never really got into much shredding. I think he can play anything reasonable from the 80's, but no Yngwie or anything crazy.

Thankfully for him he grew up in the glory days of guitar. He was able to easily clear $1000 in a weekend doing gigs just covering 80's metal. Nowadays you're lucky to get $30 each at a gig, if you even get paid.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
And what the fuck is wrong with 80's shred wank?

There are two types of guitarists sir. Shredders, and people who aren't skilled enough to shred who hate on it. CHOOSE WISELY.

Damn right. To cover Maiden tunes. \m/ Your dad is the man.
I play sludge dude. We're on opposite sides of this spectrum.

I have some shred in my past though. The first 'real' guitar I ever got for myself was a jackson soloist but the all mahogany version. I've still got it. It's one of my nicest guitars.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I play sludge dude. We're on opposite sides of this spectrum.

I have some shred in my past though. The first 'real' guitar I ever got for myself was a jackson soloist but the all mahogany version. I've still got it. It's one of my nicest guitars.
Sludge is for people with crappy amps who can't get good tone!

i kid, i kid

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The internet thinks we're post-metal, that term is just a little too broad for me.

All kidding aside, with you on the tone comments, Seventh. A lot of the sludgier bands out there really push vintage stuff and while I do have an Acoustic 370 in my rig, and enjoy the sound of the 70s sold state California amps, I think you lose out on a lot of fidelity going purely that route. I play a Warwick Thumb into the aforementioned Acoustic along with a Verellen Meatsmoke and have a whole ton of effects. The guitarist plays the Sterling version of Petrucci's sig model (with BKP Warpigs) into an Orange Thunderverb 200 (previously owned by BTBAM's Dusty). We tune low but have proper string gauges and setups to accommodate that. It's not like there aren't post-metal/sludge bands with similar setups, but it's atypical in comparison to most I think.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I took a few pics of the swap when I had an SE Navarro.

Swapping PRS SE tuners for Schaller locking tuners (Picstory)

Locking tuners, well, lock. They don't require you to run the string around the peg several times - you just tug it to tension, lock the string in there and then you're about 1/2 turn from pitch. It makes string changes a shitload faster and easier, and (like any quality tuner) adds a shitload of tuning stability. Every one of my guitars has them, and there are several different brands you can go with. (Schaller, Gotoh and Sperzel being the most common).
Just installed locking tuners on a strat last week, hardest part was finding the damn things. The life of a stubborn lefty...

Speaking up which, I want to replace the pickups on a MIM tele with the pickups that come on a standard. However, you can't buy them from Fender parts since they don't offer them in the catalog. I suppose it makes sense since if you could easily buy and drop standard pickups in a MIM it would probably cut down on sales of standards. Aside from taking a chance on ebay, and ideas on how to acquire parts that Fender doesn't want to sell you?

Seventh

Golden Squire
The internet thinks we're post-metal, that term is just a little too broad for me.

All kidding aside, with you on the tone comments, Seventh. A lot of the sludgier bands out there really push vintage stuff and while I do have an Acoustic 370 in my rig, and enjoy the sound of the 70s sold state California amps, I think you lose out on a lot of fidelity going purely that route. I play a Warwick Thumb into the aforementioned Acoustic along with a Verellen Meatsmoke and have a whole ton of effects. The guitarist plays the Sterling version of Petrucci's sig model (with BKP Warpigs) into an Orange Thunderverb 200 (previously owned by BTBAM's Dusty). We tune low but have proper string gauges and setups to accommodate that. It's not like there aren't post-metal/sludge bands with similar setups, but it's atypical in comparison to most I think.
A buddy of mine has one of those Meatsmokes. Holy shit what a filthy, awesome, fantastic sounding amp.

Edit: Heh, he plays sludge too. Or "crust". I dunno, it's all just metal to me to be honest. If it makes me want to headbang in my car, I like it.

90Proof_sl

shitlord
I have an alder Suhr standard, and it is AWESOME. I was in the market for a strat, played the Suhr, and just couldn't leave without it. It's the most plain looking guitar ever, and was absolutely worth the money. The Aldrich humbucker is greet, but the real gem is the JST ML single coil. Holy shit what a great sounding pickup. Sustain for days and the perfect strat "quack" tone.

Is the dealer you're going through Matt's Music? They're a top-notch shop, great bunch of guys and treat the instruments like gold when they're in the store. I bought two Suhrs and a Warwick from there, along with my Mark V. If you're Suhr or Nash hunting, they're (IMO) the best place to go.
Matt's stores look like they are too far east for me. Martin Music in Memphis is an easy Saturday drive, otherwise I'm looking at heading to Dallas.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
So, fuck. The Lunchbox is pretty cool, but it's too directional due to the little speaker. If you go off to the side of it a little bit, you lose it entirely.

Maybe I'll go back to a Blues Junior. Which would be a really entertaining full circle.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
So, fuck. The Lunchbox is pretty cool, but it's too directional due to the little speaker. If you go off to the side of it a little bit, you lose it entirely.

Maybe I'll go back to a Blues Junior. Which would be a really entertaining full circle.
I love my little SuperChamp X2