The Order: 1886

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Every major review site has it as a 6/10 at best. Basically it's a 6-hour "movie" but it has a bad story/characters and ends with an obvious sequel.

Another trashnext-genexclusive. This generation sucks so far (except for Wii U first-party), save us Bloodborne.
Triggered. This is now the current gen.

But I have to agree. I'm going to have to cancel my CE pre-order of Order and probably put it towards FF Type-0 HD. Bloodborne HAS to be good......please......you can't fail us

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Eh, I'll have my own review for y'all soon enough, bought it digital earlier in the month (wife's excited for it [even after length news but I'd bought it previous] - figured it would let us both play - the gambit of digital on PS4) so I'm stuck getting it regardless.

I'm not length obsessed if there's some appropriate stuff to pull you off the narrative path/etc - so if the "that's a speedrun" bits are true, don't expect me to knock them on that - I don't mind something that takes 20-25 hrs to platinum. (Which is actually a shocking amount of games) Although I will mind if it's done on the back of "run 18 different difficulties" type things, that's bullshit when it's more than 1-2.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah the length doesn't matter if the narrative or gameplay is good (The Last of Us is like 10 hours tops).

But if you make a short game and you sacrificed gameplay because you wanted it to be more "cinematic" then it better be a story worth being a glorified movie.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Eh, I'll have my own review for y'all soon enough, bought it digital earlier in the month (wife's excited for it [even after length news but I'd bought it previous] - figured it would let us both play - the gambit of digital on PS4) so I'm stuck getting it regardless.

I'm not length obsessed if there's some appropriate stuff to pull you off the narrative path/etc - so if the "that's a speedrun" bits are true, don't expect me to knock them on that - I don't mind something that takes 20-25 hrs to platinum. (Which is actually a shocking amount of games) Although I will mind if it's done on the back of "run 18 different difficulties" type things, that's bullshit when it's more than 1-2.
Guess the wife is used to the length being short eh?

Vaclav

Not from what she says on that implication. I do have my doubts on her honesty though.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not from what she says on that implication. I do have my doubts on her honesty though.
Don't we all. I think i'll pick this game up on redbox for a day. Sometimes I'm in a mood for one of those interactive movie type games.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm pretty self-deprecating, and when I joke about size she points at our kids and says 'it worked'

I can't even imagine being a developer on this game and reading reviews like what have come out today. Just absolutely brutal.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty self-deprecating, and when I joke about size she points at our kids and says 'it worked'

I can't even imagine being a developer on this game and reading reviews like what have come out today. Just absolutely brutal.
Yeah, so much for that $100 steak comment they made.

Vaclav

To be fair, sometimes when the net gets a hold of something early, they run with the "general impression" to try to garner interest/show "impartiality" and sometimes it doesn't actually work out completely correct in the longrun.

I'm not holding my breath, and being stuck with the purchase forces me to be stuck with some level of optimism, but it could be another "Mass Effect 3" style of overreaction to a number of reviewers after seeing the public outcry over something potential inaccurate or trivial.

spronk

FPS noob
first review i'd agree, when 3-4 major sites give it 7 or below its a stinker. always gotta shave one or two points off a AAA release from places like gamespot and IGN, so yeah not too optimistic about this game. I also bought the CE last july when it was glitch pricing on best buy and sold for $48, but even that now seems a bit high. oh well if trade values hold i could dump the game asap and keep a dumb statue for basically free.

nk1y9Uh.jpg

I do wonder what sony is gonna do about preorders today, if a bunch of people panic and call in for refunds their line usually has been "nope" but they made a few exceptions in the past, like I got a refund for driveclub a week after launch

could people on gaf have said they called Sony in and cancelled their preorders without any hassle

Vaclav

Eh, I've found everything besides Lords of the Fallen to hold my attention enough to be worth spending $60 on, so I'm not THAT worried but we'll see maybe I'll have a #2.

spronk

FPS noob
dragon age I, gta 5, diablo 3, and even destiny are all games I can kinda sink mindless time into on ps4
with the current xbox/PSN sale there are a ton of good games that imo are better to burn $60 on like the telltale collection, shadow of mordor, alien isolation. i'm playing wolf among us now for the first time (also own it on steam) and its awesome, i imagine walking dead and borderlands are also gonna be great.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
To be fair, sometimes when the net gets a hold of something early, they run with the "general impression" to try to garner interest/show "impartiality" and sometimes it doesn't actually work out completely correct in the longrun.

I'm not holding my breath, and being stuck with the purchase forces me to be stuck with some level of optimism, but it could be another "Mass Effect 3" style of overreaction to a number of reviewers after seeing the public outcry over something potential inaccurate or trivial.
I know what you mean, but length, as the point of controversy over the last week or so, really doesn't seem to be the prevailing complaint. It's almost universally panned as boring it seems. That's not something I expected, thought the complaints would center around the multiple consecutive chapters that are entirely cinema/QTE and the inflexible (no stealth, etc) gunplay segments. Those get their share of angst too but I expected the story to be the high point and balance out some of the technical and design faults. This doesn't seem to be the case at all.

If I had the time I'd still probably consider buying it w/ GCU and flipping it back in by the end of the weekend before they tweak prices based on trade-ins and returns as it doesn't seem to be coming to redbox, at least not yet.

Vaclav

Got that whole list pretty much spronk, except Telltale which I just can't get into for some reason - I need to give them another try though. (Plus some day I need to actually play my copy of GTA5, still have it sitting here unplayed - I know it'll eat a ton of time when I do start and can't find myself with a window enough to commit to it - probably it'll sit there waiting until after Bloodborne gets me back into consoling hardcore)

BTW Trophy list looks to be a joke - the extra value that a challenging trophy list can add to something is not something that it's got - so even less optimistic now. A good trophy list can extend the duration alot, but besides collectibles and a few easy sounding trick shots (besides it's like 5-10 of them for the worst, 10-20 min even if they're challenging if there's a Chapter Select which there no doubt is) - this trophy list does not bode well for that.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I keep almost picking up a telltale game and then don't for whatever reason. End up just watching that episode on twitch for a few minutes (via the Xbox One store) and talk myself out of it. All of them for $55 seems like a steal as far as content goes and they've been on sale like that a few times now I think.

I wonder how The Order would have done if they released it in 4 episodes. I imagine their budget isn't conducive to that treatment.

Vaclav

Yea, I'm hopefully that the episodic method works well for Revelations 2 - it really could be a move forward for many games to go that way - rather than "leaving something out for DLC" - episodic and having a cheap upfront cost really ends up being largely the same, but spreads the cost out in a way that most people find more palatable.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
This is what happens when you overhype a game - but i feel for the devs, i know my bioware ppl were going cray over every single critique over there game...then its like "oh GOTY for sho!"

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Next gen has been pretty crappy of late.

Inquisitions is very good
Diablo but that was a remake
Last of us, another remake
Tomb raider, another remake
Black flag was excellent but previous gen as well
GTAV remake

Those are the best of the bunch. Most of them are fucking remakes. Dying light is decent but not good IMO.

Destiny was garbage in my eyes. Coming from Bungie I couldnt' of been more disappointed.

Thief Garbage.

French assassins creed, garbage.

Then you have the perpetual remakes of madden, COD, battlefield which you either buy or you don't.

Next gen has been complete shit of late. This isn't a console only problem either. PC gaming has been shit as well.

spronk

FPS noob
When you think of the iconic last gen games - Uncharted, Mass Effect, Dragons Age 1, Bioshock, GoW, Halo, etc - they didn't start appearing really till 1-3 years after console launch. So hopefully we'll start seeing some trickle out this year like Bloodborne, Battleborn (god I get those two games confused all the time), and maybe some new shit at E3. Star Wars Battlefront should hopefully be amazing and I'm not sure if you'd call it a reboot or sequel.

but yeah sequelitis is really too much right now, the other big games are all sequels like Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Halo 5, etc. The new IPs have all been pretty weak like Dying Light, Evil Within, or Watch Dogs.