The Orville

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chris

Potato del Grande
They should have had the first officer go down to the planet and "kill" her off, the ex wife thing is played out and the will they won't they I suspect they'll move to is a boring cliché. Episode would have had some emotional bite to it if they did that.

Really enjoyed the season though, looking forward to the next one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
They should have had the first officer go down to the planet and "kill" her off, the ex wife thing is played out and the will they won't they I suspect they'll move to is a boring cliché. Episode would have had some emotional bite to it if they did that.

Really enjoyed the season though, looking forward to the next one.

I think Seth should be the one killed off if anyone dies. Kelly would stay the XO and they bring a new captain in.

Seth is alright but he's probably the least interesting crew member. (Tied with Kelly). It would still be his baby, he just won't star in it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I think Seth should be the one killed off if anyone dies. Kelly would stay the XO and they bring a new captain in.

Seth is alright but he's probably the least interesting crew member. (Tied with Kelly). It would still be his baby, he just won't star in it.
Should tweet him that.
Hey man, love your show but you are the worst person in it.
Can't wait for season 2!

• 2Worf

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I'm sure celebrities just love that! He's not bad, but the rest of the cast is just that strong.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Should tweet him that.
Hey man, love your show but you are the worst person in it.
Can't wait for season 2!
I think everyone agrees he's the worst part of Orville. He just sucks as an actor, like cowboys and aliens

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
While i dont disagree, i think part of the reason is the nature of ensemble casts. You have your main characters that have to do the boring things, and the other members only show up when needed or to tell a joke.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Just binged through the season, highly recommend it to any star trek fan. It really felt like a version of TNG in an alternate universe without the star trek backstory but had very similar themes and a vibe, updated for 2017. SethM is of course the worst part of the show but he's just Seinfeld-levels of meh acting/tastes, not really super bad and the rest of the writers and crew seem to keep his constant need to play 60s showtunes and older movies to a minimum. Just about every episode felt like something I had seen previously in TNG/DS9/Voyager with a minor twist, but I enjoyed it all.

Look forward to season 2, will watch it live for sure. Gonna binge watch through Star Trek discovery soon, i'm expecting it not to be as good as Orville which is just so weird to say.

The weirdest thing about this show is how there is only like ... 30 seconds of "comedy" per episode. I assume Seth initially pitched this as his version of Star Trek TNG, the execs laughed and said "but Seth, you make comedies! You can't do drama!" and he instantly just said ".. I meant a star trek COMEDY! Its right up my alley!" and then did what he wanted in the first place anyways. God bless him for it though, I'll take just everyday common sci fi shows like this anytime over more CSI, Law & Order, Bored Housewives, etc.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
The weirdest thing about this show is how there is only like ... 30 seconds of "comedy" per episode. I assume Seth initially pitched this as his version of Star Trek TNG, the execs laughed and said "but Seth, you make comedies! You can't do drama!" and he instantly just said ".. I meant a star trek COMEDY! Its right up my alley!" and then did what he wanted in the first place anyways. God bless him for it though, I'll take just everyday common sci fi shows like this anytime over more CSI, Law & Order, Bored Housewives, etc.

I think what works so well is rather then being a blatant joke comedy, it's just a Star Trek spinoff without the Gravitas. It's like the hi-jinks of Star Trek's B team.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
TVwH9Ur.jpg

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is it true this series is full of dick jokes because they all but copied star trek but need to run the parody line so they don't get sued?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Is it true this series is full of dick jokes because they all but copied star trek but need to run the parody line so they don't get sued?

Negative. I'm not a fan of Seth McFarlane so I was quite skeptical when I heard the show was launching. Not going to lie, the show is solid, can certainly stand on its own, and I was genuinely surprised at how little parody there was vs legitimate series drama.

It's pretty damn good with the worst part being Seth's acting.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Negative. I'm not a fan of Seth McFarlane so I was quite skeptical when I heard the show was launching. Not going to lie, the show is solid, can certainly stand on its own, and I was genuinely surprised at how little parody there was vs legitimate series drama.

It's pretty damn good with the worst part being Seth's acting.
you enjoy the series more if you just FF, every scene w/ seth.

even the kids are more tolerable than him.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider

It's much more Star Trek than Discovery was, but it's not a parody in any way. It's played pretty much desperately earnest with the occasional joke thrown in.

An uncharitable review I saw called it Seth doing Trek cosplay, which is a little unkind, but pretty accurate.

• 1Like

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
It's basically Trek if the characters acted like real people. STD picked up for a bit during the mirror universe episodes (then slumped hard afterwards, imo), but overall I think I got more out of Orville, especially the latter part of the season when it felt like they'd landed on the right balance between homage and original creation.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
It's next generation with an awkward Picard, Jordy that occasionally air humps statutes of planetary heros and a slime who has jungle fever. It's wonderful.

Oh and no Wesley.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Also a Worf that lays eggs and a Data that cuts limbs off as a joke

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users