The Orville

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fucker

Log Wizard
This show doesn't have black alert and spore drive, therefore it cannot possibly last.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So I just watched this weeks episode, and I dunno, maybe I'm more light hearted and easier to please but I liked it. IT was a bit hokey at times but overall I really enjoyed it.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The reason this show is better than STD is that it is true to the original core elements of both TOS and TNG that made it work. Its a show about the human condition with a backdrop of sci-fi. That's why this episode worked, in my opinion. Rather than try to force the SJW cock down your throats, it puts a purely sci-fi spin on the topic that can be related to in human terms. And if they play the long game on this arc, they can tackle the whole validity of emotions vs logic in a thoughtful manner (rather than the hamfisted STD SJW bullshit way) down the road with Isaac's people. Star Trek did not endure for so long because of the sci-fi, it did because people could relate to the problems presented in a different way and to the characters dealing with them. This episode (and the Bortis Marriage and the Power of Divorce one) hit that mark pretty well, in my opinion. That MacFarland is content to make himself a secondary character in this show is a pretty clear signal that this is the part of Trek he is aiming for, in my opinion.

Eventually, we will get some more big concept plot changing stories, but having these character arc driven episodes helps get us invested in the characters and care how they address the big stuff down the road.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
The reason this show is better than STD is that it is true to the original core elements of both TOS and TNG that made it work. Its a show about the human condition with a backdrop of sci-fi. That's why this episode worked, in my opinion. Rather than try to force the SJW cock down your throats, it puts a purely sci-fi spin on the topic that can be related to in human terms. And if they play the long game on this arc, they can tackle the whole validity of emotions vs logic in a thoughtful manner (rather than the hamfisted STD SJW bullshit way) down the road with Isaac's people. Star Trek did not endure for so long because of the sci-fi, it did because people could relate to the problems presented in a different way and to the characters dealing with them. This episode (and the Bortis Marriage and the Power of Divorce one) hit that mark pretty well, in my opinion. That MacFarland is content to make himself a secondary character in this show is a pretty clear signal that this is the part of Trek he is aiming for, in my opinion.

Eventually, we will get some more big concept plot changing stories, but having these character arc driven episodes helps get us invested in the characters and care how they address the big stuff down the road.
Last year I would have agreed with you, but now this show is a snooze fest with no long term plot and every episode just seems to draw on social justice bullshit.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Last year I would have agreed with you, but now this show is a snooze fest with no long term plot and every episode just seems to draw on social justice bullshit.

I said at the beginning of this season that SM wants this show to be cancelled, and it has done nothing to prove me wrong.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Season hasn't been a snooze fest imo, I enjoyed this last episode and love the show in general. Sci Fi nerds just are impossible to please.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Season hasn't been a snooze fest imo, I enjoyed this last episode and love the show in general. Sci Fi nerds just are impossible to please.

We're picky, but not impossible to please. The only way that we could be considered impossible to please would be if you view every single fan as one entity, which would be absurd.

And while I enjoy Orville, it is nowhere near the pinnacle of Sci-Fi. It's not even close. It doesn't even reach the top of its own sub-genre, or the two sub-genres it is a part of. It tries to do two things while being mediocre at both. Its core redeeming quality is that it's not STD.

Ditch MacFarlane as the captain/lead role, tighten up the comedy, and stop aping other Sci-Fi's Sci-Fi, and you'd have an amazing show that would be universally praised by any Sci-Fi fan that isn't turned off by comedy in their Sci-Fi (It's more likely than you think!)

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
We're picky, but not impossible to please. The only way that we could be considered impossible to please would be if you view every single fan as one entity, which would be absurd.

And while I enjoy Orville, it is nowhere near the pinnacle of Sci-Fi. It's not even close. It doesn't even reach the top of its own sub-genre, or the two sub-genres it is a part of. It tries to do two things while being mediocre at both. Its core redeeming quality is that it's not STD.

Ditch MacFarlane as the captain/lead role, tighten up the comedy, and stop aping other Sci-Fi's Sci-Fi, and you'd have an amazing show that would be universally praised by any Sci-Fi fan that isn't turned off by comedy in their Sci-Fi (It's more likely than you think!)

I don't think it's trying to be the pinnacle. They are in trouble if they are, though. I enjoyed season 1, but this season has been a bad space soap opera.

I wonder what cheap relationship melodrama the USS Towelring will bring us for the season finale.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't think it's trying to be the pinnacle. They are in trouble if they are, though. I enjoyed season 1, but this season has been a bad space soap opera.

I wonder what cheap relationship melodrama the USS Towelring will bring us for the season finale.

The pinnacle comment was more towards it not being one of the greats which would transcend the pickiness issues. There are a few Sci-FI shows which while not everyones cups of tea, demand universal respect. Your Babylon 5's, TNG, SG:SG1, and so on. Orville is in a quality range where it faces both pickiness and outright distaste, and it invites more pickiness than usual due to its dual-genre designed nature.

• 2Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Get rid of the two white guys, they're by far the worst parts of the show. Make hot bitch the capn and it'll be a better voyager.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
The show is solid, the sci fi element takes itself seriously and i definitely enjoy it. The comedy does feel out of place a few times but they are getting better at it.

Compared to STD this is a work of damn art. Compared to other favorite SCI FI shows its somewhere in the middle of the pack but then again if you compare it only to starting seasons of the other SCI FI shows it starts to look better. The character driven episodes are not that bad, they are even hints of the season spanning arc stories hinted at with the Krill baddies.
There is definitely room for improvement and they are definitely working on it. Seths does definitely better work behind the camera than in front of it but so far he didnt turn me off the show.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malkav

French Madman
If anything, to me it seems they are starting to rely too much on Moclans having a dumb culture.
Ok, we had that one episode in S1 about Bortus child. But in S2 we had :
- Moclan peeing episode
- Moclan divorce episode
- Moclan are heterophobes episode

That's 3 episodes of 7 aired this season right now. It feels repetitive.

• 2Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
If anything, to me it seems they are starting to rely too much on Moclans having a dumb culture.
Ok, we had that one episode in S1 about Bortus child. But in S2 we had :
- Moclan peeing episode
- Moclan divorce episode
- Moclan are heterophobes episode

That's 3 episodes of 7 aired this season right now. It feels repetitive.

I actually wonder if they are setting something up with all this. Especially the Captains comment about the Union and Moclan eventually being at odds.

Cybsled

I could see them becoming an enemy. The Klingons were enemies for periods of time even in new Trek.

• 2Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
They also fired a torpedo during the test run last week.

• 2Like