The Orville

Siliconemelons

It's just she has tits and ass, the tree scene sealed that deal if you didn't know.

For her age her bod is nice, but ergh...

Issac has to be the save, there is almost no way around it- this is the Orville they get out of situations fairly easy. At least they have in the past so...

Also, the guy that plays Issac is the same I think as who they used for his hologram self. Thanks imdb picture

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
It's just she has tits and ass, the tree scene sealed that deal if you didn't know.

For her age her bod is nice, but ergh...
I mean, come on, we don't really have that many choices to be honest. Alara would be totally it if she was still part of the crew. Or, without a doubt, Mercer's brief love interest (Michaela McManus).

The new security officer has an okay face but man those bow legs...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
i don't mind how this show handles the topics of the day, its kinda gay but not over the top and is coming across as reasonable enough. especially compared to discovery. the moclan arc made some decent points in an entertaining way, and the AI question is going to be sweet. speaking of ...

1551074175055.png

i love in sci-fi the different ways humanity is going to get fucked up. xindi solo deathrays, eyeball fleets, getting fucked up by klingons or cylons or rogue AI, or kinda rewrite things like the expanse and have a sentient molecule go around wrecking shit. humanity fuck yeah also has some great short stories from anon.

there's a million potential ways for us to get fucked up when we head out into space, so what do you think is the weapon platform for humanity to go for in 200 years? lasers / phasers, railguns, hyperfast missiles, plasma throwers? i'm a fan of railguns myself. stellaris has a sweet anomoly where your ship gets unexpectedly clipped by a railgun round that was several million years old round fired from a neighbouring galaxy in some ancient war.

and for the orville doctor hotness thing, she had yaphit all up in all of her jelly style, going to be hard to compete with that. i always thought odo should have leveraged that more with kira.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

Interstellar space ship weaponry, kindof is an interesting question, you consider any interstellar spaceship needs some kind of means to withstand impact with space rocks, etc at light speed. If the ship can deflect, or withstand THAT in the first place, any conventional weaponry would also be ineffective.

in startrek they have the warp bubbles protecting from impacts, I think. Even at "impulse" is something like 1/4 or half the speed of light or something. which would also be as faster, or faster then any railgun. They then have whatever "shields" are supposed to be..

Weaponry that arms/disarms, or dissipates intentionally after a certain range would certainly be a good, "safety first" measure.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

They have deflector dish's in trek - it takes care of all the particles and space dust that would screw your ship up in a hot minute - there have been episodes where its been damaged etc. and they have had to move and it caused "structural integrity" issues etc.

• 2Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
They have deflector dish's in trek - it takes care of all the particles and space dust that would screw your ship up in a hot minute - there have been episodes where its been damaged etc. and they have had to move and it caused "structural integrity" issues etc.

Fun Trek nerd fact: Federation starships get all the material for their replicators from the deflector array. It takes in all the matter that the ship passes through and coverts it into simple structures for reconstruction as whatever is needed, except when plot requires some rare material to be obtained elsewhere. Like dilithium crystals.

• 3Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fun Trek nerd fact: Federation starships get all the material for their replicators from the deflector array. It takes in all the matter that the ship passes through and coverts it into simple structures for reconstruction as whatever is needed, except when plot requires some rare material to be obtained elsewhere. Like dilithium crystals.
Sounds great, doesn't work for space stations like DS9 though. Also doesn't address storage requirements of the matter or the insanely fast paced process of joining the materials together either.

Still comes down to a magic wizard did it.

• 2Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Sounds great, doesn't work for space stations like DS9 though. Also doesn't address storage requirements of the matter or the insanely fast paced process of joining the materials together either.

Still comes down to a magic wizard did it.
Of course, sci-fi is just a different type of magic sometimes.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Of course, sci-fi is just a different type of magic sometimes.

If I am ever in a bad situation on a star ship, I'll know to reroute the subspace array to the deflector to emit a tachyon spread that will iron out knots in the space time fabric of whatever anomaly threatens my mission.

The deflector dish is the crescent wrench of space exploration and plot armor for writers everywhere.

• 3Like

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
those are some of the reasons i think the expanse is so good. there's no such thing as shields and may well never be. enterprise only had polarised armour during its run, so thats likely the direction we'll be taking when we head off into the stars.

our current tech is railguns, lasers, point defense and missiles. fusion reactors may give us gobs of plasma to throw around, but that's pretty much all i can see on the horizon for the next few hundred years. unless CERN gives us some special tech to manipulate various energy fields it's going to have to be armour for protection.

that was an interesting fact about the deflector grabbing the raw materials, but reconsitution has been covered pretty well before, nanotech is pretty much manipulation of individual particles and we are already well on the road to that. neil stephenson in the diamond age has it as a central theme of that book.

pic from FSR ....

B0FBD6F8-43F3-4DF4-A835-E2452715B821.jpeg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Fortunately the chance of encountering an object so large by chance is, heh, astronically low (at least for our spacecrafts, probes and satellites).

• 1Like

Caliane

Fortunately the chance of encountering an object so large by chance is, heh, astronically low (at least for our spacecrafts, probes and satellites).
do we actually know that?

all our measurements for such a claim is based on inner solar system isnt it? Where we have large gravity wells that would pull any small debris in.
How do we have know what amount of small debris is out past our solar sytem, on the way to Andromeda? Is this based entirely on the lack of interference with light?
Second element is distance involved. Saying "theres an astronomical chance of hitting a space rock in the 365million miles to Jupiter, is not the same as saying the 2.57million light years to Andromeda.

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
do we actually know that?

all our measurements for such a claim is based on inner solar system isnt it? Where we have large gravity wells that would pull any small debris in.
How do we have know what amount of small debris is out past our solar sytem, on the way to Andromeda? Is this based entirely on the lack of interference with light?
Second element is distance involved. Saying "theres an astronomical chance of hitting a space rock in the 365million miles to Jupiter, is not the same as saying the 2.57million light years to Andromeda.

Generally, the average density of matter in space is known. It's quite low in the solar system, lower in interstellar space, and lower still in intergalactic space.

With this sort of information, it's possible to determine rough estimates.

The time scales matter too. The more time that passes, obviously the larger the chance.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

You know, you all talking about how a little bit of space debris - makes me thing it would make a good plot to some sort of interstellar space travel movie where a little piece of something cuases all sorts of bad things to happen to some spaceship that is making a really long journey.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So after writing this show off as some sort of Spaceballs like comedy with a Star Trek twist, people have told me that it's more serious and more authentically Star Trek than the SJW shitshow that is Discovery.

True or False?

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
So after writing this show off as some sort of Spaceballs like comedy with a Star Trek twist, people have told me that it's more serious and more authentically Star Trek than the SJW shitshow that is Discovery.

True or False?
MacFarlane is producing something that often fails, entry level sci-fi for any audience.

It's like family/disney but edgy. Relationship episodes, home-world/racial culture episodes, etc.

You can skip any episode that you don't like, IMO.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

True or False?
It's a good show. It's meant to be star trek with dick jokes and it does this well.

• 2Like

Cybsled

You know, you all talking about how a little bit of space debris - makes me thing it would make a good plot to some sort of interstellar space travel movie where a little piece of something cuases all sorts of bad things to happen to some spaceship that is making a really long journey.

That’s pretty much the plot of Passengers

• 1Like