The Orville

Cybsled

Well that was a pretty awesome 2nd part. Kind of turned out like expected, but keeps the Kaylons still as a threat.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was that the season finale? They had to blow two seasons worth of budget on that battle scene.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fucking retarded. Massive derp wtf's every 60 seconds of plot holes and otherwise nonsensical shit. Like I can't even begin to shit on it because I'd need to sit with a notebook to try and keep track.

• 2Worf
  • 2Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Was that the season finale? They had to blow two seasons worth of budget on that battle scene.

Yeah that was the seasons CGI budget right there. It was pretty awesome though. We still have 5 more episodes left this season.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Man, that two parter was fantastic. Some of the best sci fi I've seen on TV in quite some time. I hope they keep up that momentum for the rest of the season.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Man, Underwear Issac is my boy, but i woulda divided his ram by zero

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I dont see how they don't immediately go to Kaylon and blow the planet to smithereens. It took them a few weeks to build that fleet...what's to stop them from coming back in a couple months and blitzing some other world?

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Because that was a major chunk of earths fleet, their alliance with the Krill is too new and Kaylons planetary defense grid has been mentioned more than once in regards to its power.

• 3Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
They will hire the descendant of Jeff Goldblum to develop a virus and upload it to the Kaylon grid using a legacy Mac Mini.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

It was good, it had about every TNG trope used for "entire crew captured, ship taken over, and robot bad guys" so, can't complain.

We all knew Issac would be the good guy.

Should have left him dead for longer imo

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
i know this is a good show because i'm glad this guy has found a friend. "my people just aren't super appealing i guess".

1552063163847.png

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just started watching this and wow, even with the humor this is 1000X closer to actual Star Trek than fucking Discovery.

• 3Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Its not perfect, but I like it for the love letter to TNG it is. The resolution to the Kaylon 2 parter was a bit predictable (and less dark) than I would have gone, but this is a TNG ripoff not a DS9 one. You can bag on Mercer all you like, but I like what MacFarland is doing and he largely is letting the show be driven by the other characters (which is arguably the worst aspect of Discovery with the insufferable Mary Sue being shoe horned into everything) and restricting his scenes to a few Picard style give direction kinds. I could definitely use less of the Sam and Dianne shit with him and Kelly, though.

Another thing I noticed is the entire season so far seems to have a central theme about personal identity on certain levels. Not sure if that's intentional or not, but its a pretty strong threat to tie all these stories together. I also like the new security chief more, both in terms of her character and the acting involved. She actually looks like someone who should be in a position of leadership rather than the (self admitted) diversity hire the last chick was. Overall, if they keep this balance of world building, interpersonal comedic day to day interractions, and high sci-fi going this show will remain solid. This is especially true with how well they have dealt with social issues without preaching or ramming ideology on anyone. The various social Maklon episodes are exactly how you handle shit like that without SJWing iit all up and making it insufferable and preachy. The astrology episode is exactly how you critique religion vs science without breaking the sci-fi immersion by pressing any particular agenda.

I can take the imperfections and predictability of this show, because the core is good and entertaining. I end an episode wishing I could watch the next one right away. Compare that to Discovery and its pretty fucking obvious who has the plan and better writers.

• 4Like

Siliconemelons

Latest episode was good, felt a little dragging in the middle - but here is the thing... all of "those" types of TNG episodes felt the same way to me...

It is outsider accuses your insider is bad, and delay tactics are put into place while we investigate and some "big thing" is shoehorned to be on the line with it- moral dilemmas run the narrative - at a certian point, you the viewer know the insider IS bad or IS NOT bad even before you are given the actual info... at least to me... this is where it drags on, because well... you are just waiting at that point.

Again, this was a TNG trope to the t's and it was well done.

• 1Like

Caliane

I really just wish the show was tighter on worldbuilding/lore. "whats a cell phone?" you do NOTHING but spout current pop culture references, and you don't know what a cell phone is, or a cigarette?
the misidentifying "wtf" acronym is great. but again makes no sense in the context of how much they constantly refer to modern stuff.
later in this episode, he is explaining turbulence, and compares it to Jello. Jell-o is a brand name for Gelatin. Why the fuck would he even know what Jell-o was 4 centuries from now?
(granted we can argue various brand names becoming synonymous with products.. kleenex, jello, jetski, rollerblades are some notable examples..)

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard