The Orville

Cybsled

Some names do become the descriptor of the product. Escalators was actually a brand name for escalators (not sure wtf else to call them...auto-stairs?). But they became the defacto name for that.

People already called Jell-o like products Jell-o. They don't call them "flavored geletin products"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

There also I think is a legal thing where if I say on TV "I want Jell-O after I use a kleenex to wipe my face" has different licensing connotations than "I want a Volvo XC90 to drive and buy a Sony trinatron TV"

Once a product becomes synonymous with a product type.

• 1Like

Cybsled

There also I think is a legal thing where if I say on TV "I want Jell-O after I use a kleenex to wipe my face" has different licensing connotations than "I want a Volvo XC90 to drive and buy a Sony trinatron TV"

Once a product becomes synonymous with a product type.

It can weaken trademark protections, which is what happened with Escalators and the company lost the rights to the name. Even though the common person is going to ask for a band-aid or jello, the trademark owners not going to let other companies use the term as a generic descriptor whenever possible

It is sort of considered a paradox in the world of marketing, in that it is the holy grail and worst nightmare combined: Your product is so successful that everyone calls anything like the product by your name, but on the flipside, because everyone calls similar products by your product's name, they don't always associate the product name with your company.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I really just wish the show was tighter on worldbuilding/lore. "whats a cell phone?" you do NOTHING but spout current pop culture references, and you don't know what a cell phone is, or a cigarette?
the misidentifying "wtf" acronym is great. but again makes no sense in the context of how much they constantly refer to modern stuff.
later in this episode, he is explaining turbulence, and compares it to Jello. Jell-o is a brand name for Gelatin. Why the fuck would he even know what Jell-o was 4 centuries from now?
(granted we can argue various brand names becoming synonymous with products.. kleenex, jello, jetski, rollerblades are some notable examples..)
did they ever call jello-guy, erg jello-guy?

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, was good. Kind of glad it was resolved the way it was. Gordon kind of worked through it on his own.

Moclans becoming cigarette addicts was pretty lol "Computer, synthesize 500 cigarettes"

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Bortus hiding them around their quarters was amusing. Here's one, here's one, here's one....here's a whole pillow of them.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Really liked the episode, probably one of the more trek’ish episodes they’ve had.
Similar to the episode of TNG where Geordi fell in love with the simulated Leah Brahms.

Anyway, yeah, great episode. Although I highly doubt that finding a cell phone from a time capsule would be a rare source of 21st century data. Think about it -- nearly everything on the Internet has persisted for a couple decades now. I find it highly unlikely, outside of some global cataclysmic event, that all that data would be lost. I feel pretty confident that, 500 years from now, people can still view video and pictures that was on Facebook circa 2010.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Similar to the episode of TNG where Geordi fell in love with the simulated Leah Brahms.

Anyway, yeah, great episode. Although I highly doubt that finding a cell phone from a time capsule would be a rare source of 21st century data. Think about it -- nearly everything on the Internet has persisted for a couple decades now. I find it highly unlikely, outside of some global cataclysmic event, that all that data would be lost. I feel pretty confident that, 500 years from now, people can still view video and pictures that was on Facebook circa 2010.

Hard to tell, world war three in Trek lore is pretty extensive and it’s hard to tell what woulda happened in that area of the world that could have caused the degradation.

In Trek it was difficult to bring daddy’s head back to life and that was current cutting edge tech that went through that time, I doubt Apple is in pat with that.

And my point is they’ve cherry picked other ideas from Trek as well but as of now this was the most well done, it was an enjoyable episode.

Cybsled

Plenty has been lost from the internet and 400 years is a long time. People have warned of a digital dark age not brought about by catastrophe, but tech just going defunct and things not being ported over.

Classic example: floppy discs or zip discs. You can only access them with special hardware and in some cases software that is defunct and hard to find. VHS or Betamax tapes need special players and in some cases, special hookups to even let you hook them to modern TVs. This is decades after the fact. Imagine centuries.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, plus with how computer special effects are going, the stuff that does survive we might disregard as fake or unimportant. People thousands of years ago wrote shit down and thought that was permanent. They had no clue where technology would go, and neither do we, really. We might all become psychic cyborgs, information is all 'quantum data' instead of binary, and its shared wirelessly in a de-centralized cloud inside our heads (i have no idea what i'm talking about with quantum computing, but i think you get what i mean).

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
On an unrelated note, does anyone know why this show has been taking 1-3 weeks off in between episodes suddenly? I noticed it had a rerun for a week or two, then this episode, then after the show I think it said the next new one wouldnt be for 2 or 3 weeks again? wireless telecommunications center??

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
March Madness fucks with the schedules. It happens every year.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Oh march madness, ok. I had a feeling it was sports related, but I don't follow college sports so I forget about how big of an event that is.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
March Madness fucks with the schedules. It happens every year.

Thank you! I was wondering about the weekly gaps too. I guess I'm no the only one who has sports on /ignore

• 1Like