The Orville

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This shit is completely unwatchable now. They left out the humor and went with an even farther leftist, more in your face NPC morality tales in space.

This has reached the level of that horrible ST spinoff with the black woman captain

What an incredible decline in quality.

Show is only missing the humor in my opinion. Little heavy handed in the morality but nothing unwatchable. They have missed several Bortus one liners IMO. When they told him he was very popular that his performance was "sold out". They easily could have had him say something along the lines of how his greatness could not be contained.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Show is only missing the humor in my opinion. Little heavy handed in the morality but nothing unwatchable. They have missed several Bortus one liners IMO. When they told him he was very popular that his performance was "sold out". They easily could have had him say something along the lines of how his greatness could not be contained.
the pro-tranny and pro-abortion stuff is so fucking heavy handed and gross.

star trek has always had lots of anti-racism etc., so its not like I'm saying morality tales are out of place here. They're just going way too explicitly with the currrent political priorities of the Demcoratic party in 2022. Just a little bit on the nose. I'm fully expecting a January 6 analogy before the end of the season. With protestors wearing red hats. On a stardate ending in the number 6.

that plus no more humor

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
the pro-tranny and pro-abortion stuff is so fucking heavy handed and gross.

star trek has always had lots of anti-racism etc., so its not like I'm saying morality tales are out of place here. They're just going way too explicitly with the currrent political priorities of the Demcoratic party in 2022. Just a little bit on the nose. I'm fully expecting a January 6 analogy before the end of the season. With protestors wearing red hats. On a stardate ending in the number 6.

that plus no more humor
If you think about it, the show is against trannies. They are against forced transition of the young and have made the planet of trannies the bad guys. Not sure about abortion though, must have missed that.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
It was the episode where the captains reunited with some alien chick he knocked up in the past. first episode of Orville I've ever gotten so fed up I skipped to the next episode

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Don't remember that. I do recall this season a very inconvenient baby was left alive. So not sure about pro abortion.

Cybsled

That episode had Mercer asking her why she didn’t terminate the pregnancy if the idea of a half human/half krill was so abhorrent, then she explains that abortion is a crime and shows him what they do to people caught going it (basically a holodeck that simulates the kid grown up as a form of psychological punishment) and Mercer thinks that is fucked up

The episode itself wasn’t pro or anti abortion that I can recall, beyond the union being for pro and krill being anti (or in turn, secular vs religious society)

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is why this show is good and STD (anything Kurtzman really) is shit. Much like classic Trek, it presents the allegory and does not force you into an approved conclusion. My only critiques on this season are that there is less humor than normal (the women led society having way too much luggage was fucking hilarious though) and some of the episodes are a bit on the depressing side (The time travel one, which I think Grimes knocked out of the park, stands out the most) at times. Been enjoying it and I find myself thinking about the episodes long after the fact and chatting with the wife about them, which probably means its doing a good job being sci-fi.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
That episode had Mercer asking her why she didn’t terminate the pregnancy if the idea of a half human/half krill was so abhorrent, then she explains that abortion is a crime and shows him what they do to people caught going it (basically a holodeck that simulates the kid grown up as a form of psychological punishment) and Mercer thinks that is fucked up

The episode itself wasn’t pro or anti abortion that I can recall, beyond the union being for pro and krill being anti (or in turn, secular vs religious society)
Thats the one.

#1, while retarded and heavy handed, the psychological punishment thing the Krill did was great. That combined with sterilization would be a reasonable and just punishment for abortion.

#2, when they make the over the top bad guys anti-abortion and the super awesome protagonists pro-abortion, and have them explicitly discuss the disagreement and have the good guys conclude, "yeah y'all are fucked up"... thats not exactly a neutral take.

All I'm saying is it was direct, hamfisted insertion of 2022 Democratic party politics.

#TheKrillDidNothingWrong

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Thats the one.

#1, while retarded and heavy handed, the psychological punishment thing the Krill did was great. That combined with sterilization would be a reasonable and just punishment for abortion.

#2, when they make the over the top bad guys anti-abortion and the super awesome protagonists pro-abortion, and have them explicitly discuss the disagreement and have the good guys conclude, "yeah y'all are fucked up"... thats not exactly a neutral take.

All I'm saying is it was direct, hamfisted insertion of 2022 Democratic party politics.

#TheKrillDidNothingWrong
But Mercer is clearly happy that the child exists and the mom is happy as well. I don’t see that as a pro abortion message at all.

Cybsled

Maybe - seems odd for him to say all 3 seasons are moving to D+, but then nothing else. Granted S3 isn't over yet, so I suspect they're just waiting to see final numbers

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
This season hasn't been great, but the last episode was aggressively terrible.

Mercer brings in the ghost of Dolly Parton to teach the militant feminist rock monster a valuable lesson about... I'm not actually sure, because what the fuck am I watching.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This season hasn't been great, but the last episode was aggressively terrible.

Mercer brings in the ghost of Dolly Parton to teach the militant feminist rock monster a valuable lesson about... I'm not actually sure, because what the fuck am I watching.

Ya. That shit was bad. Hell that whole story was pretty bad IMO.

Cybsled

The leader lady did objectively bad things, but then the Moclans did as well. It should have been grey, but they clearly sided with the rebel Moclans

This season has seen a lot of alliances get fucked, which makes me think the finale will be Kaylons attacking

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
looks like they spent all their budget on this eps, pretty blah, plot was super easy to figure out and of course whom died, bleh didn't care. (or was it)

Cybsled

Cool action episode. Alliances in this show are like musical chairs lol

• 1Like