The Orville

Caliane

You guys are way too generous, I'm giving it a C-, and that's only cuz i liked Andrian Paliki in Agents of Shield.

The only person with any character, is the fucking asexual dude.

did Andrianne have a sex change?

yeah. B or c. Pretty typical MacFarlane stuff. Very basic jokes.
Above average for network budget, but not nearly cable level. Maybe intentional to "look fake" on purpose?
The good was humanizing the characters. A workplace comedy on a starship is a solid idea. probably should have even been the focus. The office, in space. having the bridge crew sitting around talking shit, and commenting on things works well.

It also has a ton of family guy cut aways to dumb visual gags. which really stood out as poor. It was very disjointed.

Death by age bubble would be horrific. Like, from her experience she was sitting there, stuck on that table unable to move, for 80 years, without food, or sleep. She clearly went insane long before death of old age.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Yawn. I thought it was supposed to be a comedy ?

This was a painful contrast with this week's Rick and Morty.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I'll go against the grain and say we enjoyed it for what it was. Got a few chuckles. Seems like sci-fi first and comedy second, either way is fine by me, we need more science fiction on TV.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
I enjoyed it enough. Editing seemed really weird at time and the tone isn't quite right yet but still just a pilot. I think I like that's it more of a sci fi show with comedy than an attempt to make Galaxy Quest the series. Not sure that sort of humour is sustainable beyond a movie, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Maybe it's because I'm a huge Star Trek nerd but I actually quite enjoyed this. I suppose the early negative reviews kind of tempered my expectations of it not being completely a comedy but, honestly, I'm not sure how a pure comedy would work with this setting before getting old. If The Orville can be a spiritual successor to Trek while having some pop culture humor thrown in I'm okay with that.

Things I genuinely laughed at was the "You win!" holodeck scene and the red wood busting through the Krill ship.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I read the reviews and had no expectations going in or remotely enjoying it and I think that's what lead to my enjoying it. It wasn't too bad I didn't think. I'll give it 5 episodes and reassess.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
My girlfriend is in the middle of watching Star Trek: TNG. It's funny to see how light and goofy that show was at times. Picard added some dramatic gravitas to it, but a lot of plots and subplots were rather sitcom'ish for a "serious" sci-fi show. I felt this perfectly matched that tone, only slightly more lighthearted. The banter between the crew on the officers deck was pretty good.

• 2Like

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I enjoyed it as well. Wasn't really expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. I generally enjoy Seth McFarlane though, so that probably elevated it above where it really is for me.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Watched ep1, not bad, not hhaaallaarious.

Will watch more.

It's more SpaceQuest than Galaxyquest

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Cybsled

If it is more spacequest, does that mean we get a Latex Babes of Estros episode?

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
I thought it was a good mix of comedy/sci-fi. Will watch more.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I do like the parts where we see what the rest of the crew is doing while otherwise just sitting on the bridge. Especially when it takes 19 hours to get to the destination and the only thing you've done is turn on the autopilot.

• 1Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I felt like it was kind of a weak offering overall but was funny enough that i will definitely watch a few more episodes.

• 1Like

Ladro

Anomaly
This was really painful to watch, bordering on terrible. I'm not sure I can continue with it if they don't ramp the story more, It just felt like the interpersonal stuff was highlighted a bit much. The jokes felt forced and maybe that's the point but they just landed kind of off for me. It's a pilot so I get it, we'll see if the next couple of episodes are any better.

• 2Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Opening ratings aren't that important for a unique and hyped up show. Next week's retention will be telling.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was not blown away by the first episode but I think a show like this probably needs a fair amount of episodes to really find its flow to balance the humor and the scifi. I expect the first few episodes to be pretty uneven until the show finds its pace.

• 2Like