The Orville

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Just watched Season 2 (fantastic) and now two episodes of Season 3. What the fuck they ruined it, where is the humour?

IMO their problem is that they're trying too hard to do a story arc and skipping the monster of the week character development episodes. TV shows used to have like 30 episodes a season. We got to know the characters and gave a shit about them. That doesn't happen anymore and it's what this show needs.

The one episode where people come from the future and say “you died in our timeline”, but changed it, gets hand waved away as “well it’s not our future so fuck your timeline”

I don't remember that one unless it's the one with the being from the other side of the wormhole who's timeline moves super fast.

Although there was one possible oversight. Gordon sent the message 6 months after he arrived, but then they later grab him one month after. That creates a paradox, because now Gordon could have never sent them the message that brought them back.

I caught that too and was disappointed. Gordon knocked that episode out of the park. Ready to kill them all in one timeline, but in the other, when he was told about it, he's like "Holy shit I was a dick". I also liked how he's a mass murderer because he killed and ate animals.

Show is only missing the humor in my opinion. Little heavy handed in the morality but nothing unwatchable. They have missed several Bortus one liners IMO. When they told him he was very popular that his performance was "sold out". They easily could have had him say something along the lines of how his greatness could not be contained.

They need more moclan dancing. I don't like the moclan social stuff, but the moclan culture stuff is all pretty good. Now my wife wants to renew our vows in the moclan tradition. I might agree to it as long as she's the one chasing and getting rocks thrown at her.

Goatface

so there is a bonus end credit scene for the last one, this should start 1 min in

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Sorry if it was already said cause I'm not caught up and I'm working, but is this still on Hulu? If not, where? I LOVE Orville. Though it sucks that this has veered more into leftist la-la-land, if that's true. Could have been a nice centrist/balanced counter to Star Trek's descent into uber-leftism. Is Strange New Worlds still like that? They say it's awesome and a big improvement in overall quality.

Cybsled

I think it moves to D+ on 8/10. I'm not sure if that means it gets yanked off Hulu, or it just gets expanded availability

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Though it sucks that this has veered more into leftist la-la-land, if that's true.
We loved the first couple seasons. Its over now, fucking unwatchable. Sad

Really, spare yourself, its that bad

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well, I don't really have time for it as is. I have Hulu for a month due to Prey, so maybe I'll try to watch it. This thread isn't very encouraging though. I don't mind leftism in shows, heck I agree with a lot of it like "treat everyone equally" and so on, but modern ham-fisted leftism that veers into la-la-land is a bit difficult to sit through sometimes. I don't mind seeing things I don't agree with, either, though. Can't learn anything if you never step outside of a bubble. But also, the 90 minute runtimes are asking a lot.

So yeah, those are the pros and cons. If I get to it while I have Hulu, I get to it, if not...well, I'm not rushing to it like I did with the other seasons.

Last edited:

Cybsled

The show is fine. This forum just got salty over the "gender identity" episode in the 3rd season and never forgave it for that.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sorry if it was already said cause I'm not caught up and I'm working, but is this still on Hulu? If not, where? I LOVE Orville. Though it sucks that this has veered more into leftist la-la-land, if that's true. Could have been a nice centrist/balanced counter to Star Trek's descent into uber-leftism. Is Strange New Worlds still like that? They say it's awesome and a big improvement in overall quality.
5 years ago orville s1/s2 is what trek should be, while s3 is what horrible trek is now, but strange new world is the new hotness. st:snw gets a 9/10 for being trek while the orville gets a 6/10

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I bitched about the gender swap episode because it felt grossly heavy handed and really solidified the "we're not here to make you laugh anymore" theme of this season. Still watched the whole thing, and really liked the last episode. My wife and I were cracking up multiple times and really felt like it was back to it's S1-2 comedy levels. Fucking issac responding to Kaylon Primes question about who should attend the wedding with "That would seem reasonable." was easily the high point for me.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I bitched about the gender swap episode because it felt grossly heavy handed and really solidified the "we're not here to make you laugh anymore" theme of this season. Still watched the whole thing, and really liked the last episode. My wife and I were cracking up multiple times and really felt like it was back to it's S1-2 comedy levels. Fucking issac responding to Kaylon Primes question about who should attend the wedding with "That would seem reasonable." was easily the high point for me.
the last eps was good cuz they finally killed the annoying blond bitch

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
You're not wrong, I hated that character, which I'm sure was the whole point with her whole arc. Still though, lots of great moments on that last episode. Bortis jumping in with the "that too is a trait I share. On Moclan I was considered by many to be very humorous, I'll do it."

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
the last eps was good cuz they finally killed the annoying blond bitch

If you mean the cute helmsman/engineering prodigy who has a perpetual bad attitude and can do 4 dimensional math .... that wasn't the last episode. I think you have 2 more to go. I can't think of anyone they killed off in the last ep.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If you mean the cute helmsman/engineering prodigy who has a perpetual bad attitude and can do 4 dimensional math .... that wasn't the last episode. I think you have 2 more to go. I can't think of anyone they killed off in the last ep.
yea i meant, they killed her off and she wasn't in teh series no more so thats why eps10 was enjoyable

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Mid season 1 so far, this is brilliant. Loved the doc/kids/robot dude episode. Doctor knifed and shot everyone to get to her kids, nice. No hippocratic oath in space. Thought it was going to be a PSYYYCHED, it's a holodeck episode for the kids at first. Paused for a poop, blue squirt alpha just docked (hah) on the orville, seth is fuming and childish, hah. Great!

HAHAHA, it's a sex feromone episode of sorts. Doctor sucking the goo, naaasty. TNG Natasha Yar episode flashbacks, over the top. Mercer going gay for the blue guy now, I'm dying. Probably going to save the planet with his shit, make the 2 species go happy go lucky for each other.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I enjoyed season 1 of fart jokes and season 2 of it trying to get into a little more serious tones....season 3 though I was surprised at just how much I loved. Fart jokes are out the window totally and while it still has its funny moments this tries hard to be a legit sci fi show, and succeeds well IMO.

I was really bummed when mid-way in the season hit and I was enjoying it, thinking it may not come back for season 4, but honestly, they ended it perfectly if that ends up being the case.

There were a couple of plot holes, one being semi large but overall it was really well done I think.

Also, whats with Seth dating women on this show and then having them removed? First was the original security woman, and now the ensign helmsman who complained all the time. Either way, it's a funny trend.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Didn't know he was banging ensign angry lesbian, but I believe her arc was written as a self contained arc for the season. E.G. They planned from the outset for her to die in the way she did. The security chick he def was shtupping and she was apparently kind of batshit on top of it, but I liked the actress that replaced her much better anyhow.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This popped up on my Hulu/TV Ive just had it on for back noise but it's kind of sucked me in. I thought this was going to be just stupid humor but it actually feels like a startrek show. Only watched season 1

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
This popped up on my Hulu/TV Ive just had it on for back noise but it's kind of sucked me in. I thought this was going to be just stupid humor but it actually feels like a startrek show. Only watched season 1

It's main problem was that it was too short of a run. Moclins were my favorite even though they were used for some gay bullshit at various points. They actually made alien races, not just humanoid races with a hyperfocus on one human characteristic.

Edit: also, fuck you. When I saw it was bumped I thought they were doing another season or a spinoff.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users