The Paranormal, UFO's, and Mysteries of the Unknown

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nobody thinks the pyramids are 10 million years old though. If they were built by a technologically advanced society 5000 years ago there should be some other evidence aside from the pyramids themselves.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Göbekli Tepe - Wikipedia
The tell includes two phases of use believed to be of a social or ritual nature dating back to the 10th–8th millennium BCE.

ugh yeah, we've been discussing Tepe enough recently that i should have had a better number in my head.

Nobody thinks the pyramids are 10 million years old though. If they were built by a technologically advanced society 5000 years ago there should be some other evidence aside from the pyramids themselves.

yeah i agree? my comment about the pyramids was a change of subject from the lizard people. was just pointing out two things that are very unlikely, the second of which is even more unlikely.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
and yes, i do believe that, despite being very unlikely, ancient lizard people societies are a couple orders of magnitude more likely than aliens having ever visited earth, (by my lay man's estimation :p)

interstellar travel is a BITCH

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
and yes, i do believe that, despite being very unlikely, ancient lizard people societies are a couple orders of magnitude more likely than aliens having ever visited earth, (by my lay man's estimation :p)

interstellar travel is a BITCH
it is rather odd that aliens only chill out with drunken rednecks who have no working cameras

• 1Like

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
it is rather odd that aliens only chill out with drunken rednecks who have no working cameras

Rednecks are awesome. You must not know any.

The stereotypes of Rednecks you see on t.v. are not at all representative.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Rednecks are awesome. You must not know any.

The stereotypes of Rednecks you see on t.v. are not at all representative.
we got rednecks in NJ going towards PA. had some fun times in Sussex county. they used to have a county fair every year with demolition derbies and tractor pulls after dark. it was a hoot. the blooming onions were so good there. rednecks are fine, just put film in the camera when ET comes to visit.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't know why demolition derbies aren't more popular. They are hilarious. I really think it would be fun to drive in one also.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I don't know why demolition derbies aren't more popular. They are hilarious. I really think it would be fun to drive in one also.
Because the old cars they used are very scarce now. And you can only use those old steel beasts. If you tried a demolition derby today with modern cars they would collapse after the first hit.

I think Louis Theroux had a doc about small-town wrestling and one of the wrestlers also did demo derbies. He had prefabricated an old beater car because he couldn't find any actual old cars for the derby.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
if humans were wiped out and in 10 million years another species advances to the point where they invent archaeology, the odds of them discovering anything about today's humans is pretty low. so of course, the same would be true of any pre-human civlizations.
Is this true?

I've heard that Earth has enough crazy bowel movements that the entire landscape changes over long periods of time. But I just can't imagine an Earth where there isn't a Mt. Everest, Marina Trench or Mt. Vinson.

It just seems like if we got wiped out, 10 million years from now you might be able to find remnants of the Hoover Dam, Burj Khalifa, Pyramids or Great Wall.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Is this true?

I've heard that Earth has enough crazy bowel movements that the entire landscape changes over long periods of time. But I just can't imagine an Earth where there isn't a Mt. Everest, Marina Trench or Mt. Vinson.

It just seems like if we got wiped out, 10 million years from now you might be able to find remnants of the Hoover Dam, Burj Khalifa, Pyramids or Great Wall.

I'd guess in 10 million years all current day things would be long gone and non-discoverable. Tectonics, weather and other cataclysms can do serious work in 10 million years.

Pops

eh, the headline was really different than what the scientists quoted in the article probably wanted it to read as. there is a VERY SMALL chance of there being a pre-human advanced civilization. however, there is a chance.

i thought the article made a strong argument for the possibility at least, tho obviously there was zero actual evidence presented. the facts that lead to the possibility, tho:

-- Earth's fossil record stretches over 4,500,000,000 (4.5 billion) years
-- Humans have only been around for 100,000 years
-- Human CIVILIZATION has only been around for 5,000 years
-- The Industrial Revolution only started 300 years ago
-- Since then, technology has advanced at an exponential rate. Flight was only invented 115 years ago. Cell phones were only invented 45 years ago. etc. etc.
-- Human cities only take up about 1% of the planet's surface.

if humans were wiped out and in 10 million years another species advances to the point where they invent archaeology, the odds of them discovering anything about today's humans is pretty low. so of course, the same would be true of any pre-human civlizations.

humans are on the verge of collapse, if you believe some people. all of recorded history, just a few thousand years, is such a brief moment in time as to have barely existed at all in the grand scheme of things. finding a pre-human civilization, if one did exist, could be truly like finding a needle in a haystack.

i'm sure most of you have seen this before, but it does a good job putting what i just explained about how human civilization has been extraordinarily brief so far into a great visualization.

the headline was clickbait, but the article makes some good points.

The Weans

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Is this true?

the catcher is they'd have to have any idea where to look. it's a miracle we've found some ancient human sites, and those have only been buried 5,000-10,000 years.

edit -- and this is in addition to the point Kiroy brought up, that was also mentioned in the original article we're discussing, that stuff on Earth's surface can get incredibly eroded without anyone around to maintain everything.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
the catcher is they'd have to have any idea where to look. it's a miracle we've found some ancient human sites, and those have only been buried 5,000-10,000 years.
In some cases, where to look might be really obvious. Anywhere near a coastline for example. Or through a river (or dried up one).

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
ok that wasn't the original question.
Sure it was!
I think you underestimate our understanding of past "civilizations" based on nothing but the fossil record. We know migratory paths for dinosaurs, breeding grounds for ancient microbes and can recreate entire cities.

Unless the entirety of human civilization is 100% underwater when these future scientists are getting going, there is a very high chance they will discover remnants of us.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I think you underestimate our understanding of past "civilizations" based on nothing but the fossil record. We know migratory paths for dinosaurs, breeding grounds for ancient microbes and can recreate entire cities.

but none of that stuff makes you think "hey maybe these creatures were smart enough to get to the moon"

Unless the entirty of human civilization is 100% underwater when these future scientists are getting going, there is a very high chance they will discover remnants of us.

i think you underestimate how much digging would be required to find the few things that would remain after 10 million years. human cities only make up about 1% of the Earth's surface.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
edit -- and this is in addition to the point Kiroy brought up, that was also mentioned in the original article we're discussing, that stuff on Earth's surface can get incredibly eroded without anyone around to maintain everything.

you two might have missed my edit^