The Peripheral

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I hate movies/shows that indicate a near mass extinction event but do not bother to discuss what the event was.
Yeah, as a huge fan of almost any post-apocalyptic fiction, this is the thing that absolutely kills anything in this genre for me. Like I wish I'd never wasted time opening it in the first place.

Its the equivalent of getting to the last episode and "lol it was all just a dream/purgatory/whatever". Retroactively ruins the entire thing.

I hadnt realized theres another book on the way, maybe they do get to it eventually.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
From The Peripheral so read if you’d like to hear the most detailed explanation we, as readers, receive.

And first of all that it was no one thing. That it was multicausal, with no particular beginning and no end. More a climate than an event, so not the way apocalypse stories liked to have a big event, after which everybody ran around with guns, looking like Burton and his poses, or else were eaten alive by something caused by the big event. Not like that.

It was androgenic, he said, and she knew from Ciencia Loca and National Geographic that that meant because of people. Not that they’d known what they were doing, had meant to make problems, but they’d caused it anyway. And in fact the actual climate, the weather, caused by there being too much carbon, had been the driver for a lot of other things. How that got worse and never better, and was just expected to, ongoing. Because people in the past, clueless as to how that worked, had fucked it all up, then not been able to get it together yo do anything about it, even after they knew, and now it was too late.

So now, in her day, he said, they were headed into an androgenic, systemic, multiplex, seriously bad shit, like she sort of already knew, figured everybody did, except for people who still said it wasn’t happening, and those people were mostly expecting the Second Coming anyway. She’s looked across the silver lawn, that Leon bad cut with the push-mower whose cast iron frame was held together with actual baling wire, to where moon shadows lay, past stunted boxwoods and the stump of a concrete birdbath they’d pretended was a dragon’s castle, while Wilf told her it killed 80 percent of every last person alive, over about forty years.

There’s a little bit more but that’s the gist of it. I do feel like there’s more and that was the easy version for Flynne to understand. But all in all there’s no great reveal so far. There’s some stuff immediately after that I’m not copying because it is a little more spoilers than just that generic description.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
From The Peripheral so read if you’d like to hear the most detailed explanation we, as readers, receive.

And first of all that it was no one thing. That it was multicausal, with no particular beginning and no end. More a climate than an event, so not the way apocalypse stories liked to have a big event, after which everybody ran around with guns, looking like Burton and his poses, or else were eaten alive by something caused by the big event. Not like that.

It was androgenic, he said, and she knew from Ciencia Loca and National Geographic that that meant because of people. Not that they’d known what they were doing, had meant to make problems, but they’d caused it anyway. And in fact the actual climate, the weather, caused by there being too much carbon, had been the driver for a lot of other things. How that got worse and never better, and was just expected to, ongoing. Because people in the past, clueless as to how that worked, had fucked it all up, then not been able to get it together yo do anything about it, even after they knew, and now it was too late.

So now, in her day, he said, they were headed into an androgenic, systemic, multiplex, seriously bad shit, like she sort of already knew, figured everybody did, except for people who still said it wasn’t happening, and those people were mostly expecting the Second Coming anyway. She’s looked across the silver lawn, that Leon bad cut with the push-mower whose cast iron frame was held together with actual baling wire, to where moon shadows lay, past stunted boxwoods and the stump of a concrete birdbath they’d pretended was a dragon’s castle, while Wilf told her it killed 80 percent of every last person alive, over about forty years.

There’s a little bit more but that’s the gist of it. I do feel like there’s more and that was the easy version for Flynne to understand. But all in all there’s no great reveal so far. There’s some stuff immediately after that I’m not copying because it is a little more spoilers than just that generic description.
Right, that + Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So climate change, that lead to something unforeseen, that caused a ripple effect, that dwindled down the population of the human race.

How very vague of the writer. I like details, even if made up.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
We’ll probably find out a lot more through the show but the way I look at it is at least they aren’t dealing with stopping a SkyNet or killing a Hitler, etc. The “thing” is so rudimentary and generic it becomes more about pre-event and post-event, and not about the event. The story is left to contend with how those two worlds collide and not constantly chasing after a doomsday clock. That’s either disappointing or reassuring based on what you’re looking for and how they handle it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Jesus fuck that writing style hurts my brain.
That's actually why I stopped reading the novel. The prose is uncharacteristically bad for Gibson, particularly in some sections. Almost everything in the future is very hard to follow, not sure if that was intended or what.

Pattern Recognition had absolutely fantastic prose (especially in the first half) even if the story ends rather abruptly and uneventfully. Neuromancer and Mona Lisa Overdrive were also fantastically written, there's a reason Neuromancer is consistently put in the top 50 American novels of all time, Count Zero not quite as much though there were some standout bits.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This is alright. Im very shocked to see post civilization collapse humanity where the majority of people died is as distinctly diverse as current day America is.

Gotta say Im getting real sister from S1 Altered Carbon vibes with bald black lady. They arent gonna completely sidestep how incredibly evil she is and portray her as more girlboss getting stuff done are they? A bit of a difference compared to how theyve characterized methkingpin colonel sanders and her so far.

Now that I think back, they did mention it when they discussed the biker guy.
Bro makes it very clear when talking to methkingpin colonel sanders that bro and all battle buddies are networked together due to the military.

Oldbased

> Than U
I just don't care about Current Era Drug Lord, nor do I see how he can be a long term threat. When I look back at Justified (the closest 'present' setting match), they constantly brought in new outside threats to mix up with Boyd, and even then, Boyd's continual survival got ridiculous.

I don't understand current money either - given the wad of cash she had to hand over for one pain pill in the pilot, 200k a week (or the 250k lottery winnings last week) sounds like literal pocket change.

I don't care if its from the books or not, 'The Jackpot' may be the worst name for an apocalypse I've ever heard.
I mean soldiers have haptic systems, so it is a few years down the lane I suppose.
Hell my current smartwatch has haptic.
Still, after another 2022 and likely in 2023, a couple grand for a pill or a dozen of eggs will probably make more sense.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
So far, very good. I'm not surprised that the girl from Kick-Ass ended up being very cute.

Acting is quite good. Set-up so far is excellent. I have not read this one (and I occasionally get lost with Gibson), but I suspect they may not be keeping to close to the text anyway. Kind of glad I never read this anyway, as I am enjoying it a lot. They have some occasional stupid dialogue and some pacing issues, but I like it.

Wish they would have dumped all the episodes at once.

• 2Like

Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>
So far, very good. I'm not surprised that the girl from Kick-Ass ended up being very cute.

Acting is quite good. Set-up so far is excellent. I have not read this one (and I occasionally get lost with Gibson), but I suspect they may not be keeping to close to the text anyway. Kind of glad I never read this anyway, as I am enjoying it a lot. They have some occasional stupid dialogue and some pacing issues, but I like it.

Wish they would have dumped all the episodes at once.
I would have binged them all if that was the case.

• 2Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
chloe-grace-moretz-coach-fall-2016-campaign-steven-meisel-photos-4.jpg

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
She looks fine in 2030. Her 2099 style is pretty meh though.

• 2Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So climate change, that lead to something unforeseen, that caused a ripple effect, that dwindled down the population of the human race.

How very vague of the writer. I like details, even if made up.
Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Still a fan even though the local drug kingpin is just filler plot device shit. They used him to further develop her brother at least, which was cool. I like how he thinks and isn’t scared to say what’s up.

I guess the show can’t be totally about future land and one of the main themes is ‘fucking with past and future people isn’t as real as fucking with present people…’

but c’mon, why’s every town gotta have this character? (Under the dome, walking dead, pulp fiction even though he gets ass fucked by zed!)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Still a fan even though the local drug kingpin is just filler plot device shit. They used him to further develop her brother at least, which was cool. I like how he thinks and isn’t scared to say what’s up.

I guess the show can’t be totally about future land and one of the main themes is ‘fucking with past and future people isn’t as real as fucking with present people…’

but c’mon, why’s every town gotta have this character? (Under the dome, walking dead, pulp fiction even though he gets ass fucked by zed!)
Justified had like 12 of these characters and was one of the best shows ever.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I hate watching shows like this knowing or thinking the will be cancelled

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

I really enjoyed this. Never read the book, and I can definitely roll my eyes at stuff like all the bros hanging out at the campfire just happen to all be elite military soldiers/hackers with tons of guns stashed nearby, or Chloe being so much better at vidya games than all the men, but if I let that kind of stuff go, it was a pleasant surprise. And I actually think Chloe looks way better in this than whatever I saw her in last, particularly when she has the curly hair in redneck world.

Hopefully it won't end up being shit by the end, as so far I'm looking forward to the next episode.
starting this now.

I just loled at the "you would have to play with your brothers avatar, so the boys don't know its a girl" lol what. if a girl was actually good at games, dudes would be all over that shit. the idea that a girl would have to hide her gender for respect is idiotic. if anything, she'd get too much attention.

but, idk, maybe this world is just a fiction, so any of the nonsense stereotypes are intentional.

9mil bounty in 2030 getting a 20man kill team with super high tech in the continental US seems lul.

moms cancer drug is odd too. "we sent the directions to 3d print it to your local pharmacy". ok. The people who work at walgreens etc, ARE pharmacists. If they got some magic medicine like this, they'd ask some questions. That shit would immediately get passed around to other doctors, etc. her just walking in, getting it and leaving is silly.

Last edited:

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good episode.

So the Jackpot first started with a power outage that lasted months. While that would be devastating, power could still exist in a simpler form. That being said, anybody with certain medical conditions would die. That would kill off millions of people as there would be no way to produce insulin or anything involving machines meant to maintain life. The 2nd part was the real pandemic. Sounds like this was the one everyone thinks about now when they think of the end of days kind of disease. The 3rd part was a bit confusing. I get that a Nuke went off but 1 nuke does not a major event make. Unless of course everybody launched full scale, I do not see how the 3rd part was so awful. The first two would have been bad.

I hope this does not get cancelled as so far I am enjoying the story. I can think of ways that this goes(Example: The past is not a past but rather a sim that preserves the human race) but I am curious to the direction it ends up going. The lack of media attention or any kind of hype for the show is not a good sign. Its a shame because this ranks right up with the Boys for some of the best that Amazon has offered.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users