The Peripheral

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Amazon has always been bad about how they promote their content. And more than a few good shows have been cancelled because of it

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So the Jackpot first started with a power outage that lasted months. While that would be devastating, power could still exist in a simpler form. That being said, anybody with certain medical conditions would die. That would kill off millions of people as there would be no way to produce insulin or anything involving machines meant to maintain life. The 2nd part was the real pandemic. Sounds like this was the one everyone thinks about now when they think of the end of days kind of disease. The 3rd part was a bit confusing. I get that a Nuke went off but 1 nuke does not a major event make. Unless of course everybody launched full scale, I do not see how the 3rd part was so awful. The first two would have been bad.

We still don't know the full extent of the Jackpot since she cut it off when she saw when she died basically. Clearly more shit to come after that moment

Loving this show.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Unless of course everybody launched full scale, I do not see how the 3rd part was so awful. The first two would have been bad.[/SPOILER]

See Ukraine-Russia nuclear threat for example. A dirty bomb was being worked on which can be considered "just 1 nuke" going off. In response to the plot, Russia stated they have retaliatory targets selected, around 5-6 NATO cities, in the event terrorists are able to detonate "just one nuke". Whether they are bluffing, doesn't matter. It's a window into how "just 1 nuke" could trigger a massive retaliatory strike.

So yeah, just one nuke is all it would take. Not sure where the skepticism comes from on this.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
starting epi4 now. did blow through 1-3.

I feel like the future tech is a bit much. way too much is like literal magic. Its bad enough to have such insane advancements in 70 years time. but have so many in so many different fields. but then, also place that on top of a massive global catastrophe. which means even less people, time and money to have invented and built all that shit.

Any off world colonies I wonder?

Oldbased

> Than U

I feel like the future tech is a bit much. way too much is like literal magic. Its bad enough to have such insane advancements in 70 years time. but have so many in so many different fields. but then, also place that on top of a massive global catastrophe. which means even less people, time and money to have invented and built all that shit.

Look where we are now from 70 years ago and ALL the predictions made back then either still don't exist or were far exceeded such as powerful computer devices in our hands that can do about anything. Even things such as light. I got these motion daylight sensing lights all over the house with a built in battery that runs a month kicking on every night when it senses darkness+motion that lights up a good area ( 300lumen ) that only take an hour to recharge for $12 each. It's rare we turn on lights to do anything even cook as the whole house is motion sensitive lighting lithium battery powered. 1st day of the month I recharge them all, but that is just one example that is dirt cheap now. TVs that are only an inch thick when they didn't even have color tv back then and they were masive heavy as fuck with terrible resolution for 1/5th the screen size and so forth. Flying cars? We got Starships sitting on pads ready to be perfected. On and on. It's not as far fetched that tech continued to advance especially given the most likely to survive were protected classes shoved in bunkers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
I hope this does not get cancelled as so far I am enjoying the story. I can think of ways that this goes(Example: The past is not a past but rather a sim that preserves the human race) but I am curious to the direction it ends up going. The lack of media attention or any kind of hype for the show is not a good sign. Its a shame because this ranks right up with the Boys for some of the best that Amazon has offered.

Well, it's definitely not linear time travel, given they call it a 'stub' and the russian gangster had his younger self killed with no obvious consequences. The passage of time between the two also seems to be synched, which is kind of unusual. It being a sim doesn't seem likely though, the suggestions of using it for illegal medical testing would be ridiculous if it actually was a sim - of course, that assumes the gangster has any idea what he's talking about regarding what's obviously a very secretive research program. An alternate timeline branching from whenever the 'stub' started seems most plausible to me. It would also fit with Alita saying that it was too late for their world, but they could maybe save a different one.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

lol go back in time and show an iPhone 14 to the smartest computer scientists and electrical engineers 70 years ago and ask them what century it was from. They'd probably guess you were from the year 2525 (if man is still alive...)

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Well, it's definitely not linear time travel, given they call it a 'stub' and the russian gangster had his younger self killed with no obvious consequences. The passage of time between the two also seems to be synched, which is kind of unusual. It being a sim doesn't seem likely though, the suggestions of using it for illegal medical testing would be ridiculous if it actually was a sim - of course, that assumes the gangster has any idea what he's talking about regarding what's obviously a very secretive research program. An alternate timeline branching from whenever the 'stub' started seems most plausible to me. It would also fit with Alita saying that it was too late for their world, but they could maybe save a different one.

They mentioned it when explaining what "stub" meant in reference to what they were calling her in the future. Each time a person comes forward a stub is created and a stub is a split in time (new universe), so while there aren't infinity universes, there's the potential for as many as are created by data transferring themselves back and forth.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Yeah but less people also means less waste of resources, management, and other crap. So faced with a global catastrophe and a greatly reduced population, the resources and survivors you do have are singularly focused on fixing the problem. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Caliane

I suppose I overlooked the obvious. They are harvesting other timelines for technology. So, they only had to make ONE advancement, then steal the rest. they don't have limited time, and people. they have literally unlimited amounts of people and time.

find an overachiever. lets say elon musk. go back and contact him. create a stub, where you convince him to go into biotech instead of e-vehicles. do it again, where you convince him to go into pharma... do it again, where you convince him to go into nanotech.. and so on..

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I dont think the show will be able to live up to how smart its portraying itself as with time travel being such a central element.

Example;
moms cancer drug is odd too. "we sent the directions to 3d print it to your local pharmacy". ok. The people who work at walgreens etc, ARE pharmacists. If they got some magic medicine like this, they'd ask some questions. That shit would immediately get passed around to other doctors, etc. her just walking in, getting it and leaving is silly.

Or what happened with the vehicles with stealth? Member how they just left those cars on the side of the road for anyone to discover? Seems they would quickly pollute the past with future tech and screw everything up.

• 1Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
i'm guessing that nuke silo being blown up by 'domestic terrorists' in Flynn's town will be relevant. but it seems like it might happen too far in the future for it to be anyone that we've met in her stub. was like 50+yrs from her time?

loving the show so far

Xevy

Log Wizard
Think it was like 2049? And she's currently in 2030. So probably ~40 year old Flynne figures out her world is a sim and "blows it up" as they've said she does with sims several times now.

• 1Like

Caliane

I dont think the show will be able to live up to how smart its portraying itself as with time travel being such a central element.

Example;

Or what happened with the vehicles with stealth? Member how they just left those cars on the side of the road for anyone to discover? Seems they would quickly pollute the past with future tech and screw everything up.
now, do remember, they don't care about polluting the past. when they contact the past, an alternate timeline is created. that alt timeline has no direct effect on them. they could kill everyone in that alt Earth, and it won't affect them.

of course then theres the, they aren't even really alt timelines just sims, idea.

Oldbased

> Than U
I'm just happy assault weapons exist in 11 years still.
Ttttake tttthat Bbbbiden

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
now, do remember, they don't care about polluting the past. when they contact the past, an alternate timeline is created. that alt timeline has no direct effect on them. they could kill everyone in that alt Earth, and it won't affect them.
It just comes off as very sloppy/lazy to have such loose ends for people who are supposed know what they are doing. Awfully convenient you can alter the world to such a degree and it seemingly has no effect.
I'm just happy assault weapons exist in 11 years still.
Ttttake tttthat Bbbbiden
Not just that but suppressors!

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Whatever the present is (and I think its still vague if this is an alternate reality* from the future that diverged when they first made contact, or just a sim), the future can do whatever they want to it and not care. It seems like 3d printing was the real limiting agent - there's no point in being able to contact the past if all you can do is send them schematics and then wait years / decades for the manufacturing abilities to catch up. (Even if we had schematics for femtometer fabs dropped in our laps today, it would likely take decades to iron out the bugs in the real world.) That said, I am doubtful the military haptic network and consumer 3d printing as portrayed in the show is even plausible in our 2100. (You can't 3d print chips smaller than your fab tech - to print your femto-scale chips, your 3d printers would have to have a resolution better than that, to say nothing of the data file sizes.)

The phrasing is vague (imo) on the timeline - is the depopulation over 40 years _after_ the virus in 2041, and _then_ the nuke is after that (which would be relatively recent history), or is the nuke _in addition_ to all of the rest (as everything was overlapping).

Kid Wilf and Aelita (which was said to be 35 years ago, iirc, so 2065) had to be vaccinated, and the terrain was not irradiated but did look dust-stormy.

*Wilf being concerned about Lev's present-family does suggest the present is real, doesn't it?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
another clue is the fact there was no people when she left unscheduled, so we're to assume all the people she saw during chaperoned trips were fake somehow

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Example;

I don't think the stealth cars were future tech. I think that was just very expensive mercenary tech. The cop, who knows nothing about time travel shenanigans, was weirded out by it, but not freaked out by it. As if this was military tech that wasn't common to see in a rural domestic setting, but was known to exist in the world. The vehicle had a button for it that wasn't like, hacked in there.