The Peripheral

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
lol go back in time and show an iPhone 14 to the smartest computer scientists and electrical engineers 70 years ago and ask them what century it was from. They'd probably guess you were from the year 2525 (if man is still alive...)
I dont know what you joggers are discussing as I dont watch the show, however I will back up Misty here with some Arthur C. Clarke:

1668208641366.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Well, if all tech in their timeline is derived from the future, the unrealisticness of it isn't an issue. Though I still quibble about 3d printers being able to produce future tech, unless massively better 3d printer specs were the first thing they sent back - well, over I suppose I should say.

So the war was in Texas? Did Central / South America devolve into a giant narco-state? This seems ironic, as the first thing people would compile once 3d printer resolution got good enough was custom pharmaceuticals, eliminating those narco-states' revenue.

Oldbased

> Than U
Well, if all tech in their timeline is derived from the future, the unrealisticness of it isn't an issue. Though I still quibble about 3d printers being able to produce future tech, unless massively better 3d printer specs were the first thing they sent back - well, over I suppose I should say.

So the war was in Texas? Did Central / South America devolve into a giant narco-state? This seems ironic, as the first thing people would compile once 3d printer resolution got good enough was custom pharmaceuticals, eliminating those narco-states' revenue.
Plasma>cad>CNC>3d printer>flesh printer>bio printer( currently ). Not that far fetched. It continues to advance in tech and to have a 3d printing store in a small town says even in their current timeline has moved on quite well and with space programs/NASA looking to advance it even more due to the ability to print parts, tissues and food on moon/mars/deep space in our real world, it makes sense advances continued to be made.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
"in the book' the future tech was doable in the current timeline to 90% or so but it was bigger and clunkier. Like that headset the girl is wearing would be a pair of glasses in the future.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So there are 100's of these alt timelines. Since they have no effect on the current timeline, they feel no morale obligation for life in the stubs(Timelines). Well that takes animal testing to a whole new level of eeriness. They can do anything they want. However, what happens when a stub fights back?

I am liking this show a lot. It has good dialogue and is well acted. The premise is a very interesting one and could evoke plenty of conversation.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They really shouldnt have shown mr assassin being John Wick in one scene then utterly failing to kill Flynn the next.

Since future people genuinely give zero fucks about what happens to stubs why even bother to use an assassin to kill someone in hand to hand combat? There shouldnt be any reason to not use the most blunt hammer you have, especially when you failed once already. Give the assassin a drone filled with explosives, not a damn melee weapon.
another clue is the fact there was no people when she left unscheduled, so we're to assume all the people she saw during chaperoned trips were fake somehow
Multiple cityscape at night/dusk showed every building lit up in London. Even if London is real, a small detail that doesnt add up if London's reality is supposed to have a fraction of the people it once had.
I don't think the stealth cars were future tech.
The future henchman says they gave the mercs "technical assistance" at the start of the second episode.

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm
binged eps 1 through 5 last night. not too shabby. looking forward the the rest.

lol @ the 'hacker battle'. putin needs to fire his tech expert.

the casting of the big-bad is surprising in our shitty stub

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Good show. I'm fucking sick of that bizarre alien looking black chick who gets cast in everything lately. I swear she's in 3 shows we're watching currently. The future chick. You know who I mean.

My issue with her is this. If you cast the Rock in a role, at some point there will be dialogue about his appearance - making a note of his ridiculously huge muscles.

If you cast a cute little blond chick in a role, at some point there will be dialogue acknowledging hey this chicks really hot.

But if you cast this thing, this fucking ET-stretched-to-human-height with weird fucking artificial lips stitched on, that genuinely could pass on Star Trek for some alien chick with zero makeup whatsoever, and not one goddam person reacts to her the way a normal person would react to her in real life: like "dear God what is this thing!"

Instead they're all just like "oh hello fellow normal human who looks totally normal".

Just stop casting her, unless its an alien or monster. The end.

• 3Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Good show. I'm fucking sick of that bizarre alien looking black chick who gets cast in everything lately. I swear she's in 3 shows we're watching currently. The future chick. You know who I mean.

My issue with her is this. If you cast the Rock in a role, at some point there will be dialogue about his appearance - making a note of his ridiculously huge muscles.

If you cast a cute little blond chick in a role, at some point there will be dialogue acknowledging hey this chicks really hot.

But if you cast this thing, this fucking ET-stretched-to-human-height with weird fucking artificial lips stitched on, that genuinely could pass on Star Trek for some alien chick with zero makeup whatsoever, and not one goddam person reacts to her the way a normal person would react to her in real life: like "dear God what is this thing!"

Instead they're all just like "oh hello fellow normal human who looks totally normal".

Just stop casting her, unless its an alien or monster. The end.
dat overbite! all them teef barely fit in it's mouth and I get a hint of a lisp from it. She's very annoying, and weird looking.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

why the fuck would they A. not kill the assassin on the bridge with future tech. B. let him go with the town sheriff off alone.

why the hell would the sheriff arrest the guy alone?

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
They explained the first one via the sherrifs dialogue with the girl. If the assassin got killed, the federal authorities would get involved.
As for B... small city, defund the police... few cops, etc...

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did they explain how the girl is a super matrix level badass killer and I missed that part? Presumably she is that badass in the real physical world too but we haven't seen that yet?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They explained the first one via the sherrifs dialogue with the girl. If the assassin got killed, the federal authorities would get involved.
Which shouldnt really matter to the "evil" future people as they didnt create this stub for their own purposes. Theyre just cleaning up loose ends so why should they care about how messy the stub gets?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did they explain how the girl is a super matrix level badass killer and I missed that part? Presumably she is that badass in the real physical world too but we haven't seen that yet?
Imagine if you could play a video game that placed you into the action and allowed for complete control using your mind. No game controllers. Your mind did everything that you would do if you were alive. Do this for a few years and I imagine you could get pretty good at combat. I am assuming that is where they derive her combat skill from.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am still enjoying this show. I think it is better than 1899 when it comes to the whole Alternate reality thing. A lot of that might have to do with the setting as I am not a big fan of cruise ships or even the time period that 1899 is set in.

There is a distinct fear with law enforcement in the future setting. I am thinking punishment is a lot worse than what we have nowadays. Looking forward to the next episode as I am hoping it starts to really explain who is on what side and what that even means. Only two more episodes left to flush some of this out. I am assuming the season will kind of stop at a major reveal about the worlds involved.