The Prepper Thread

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
So the mormons stopped selling their canned foods to the public at least on their website. That the cannery in the coal mine?

Do the mormons know something we don't? I mean, other than magic underwear?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm going to farm Kudzu and nutria to eat. You can never run out of either of those. Shit grows like a foot a day. I do know one thing, things get bad a coon ass will find a way to eat it and most likely make it halfway edible. I think LA ranks second behind AK for percentage of food that comes from other than a supermarket.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Best way to store water? Bottled water in air conditioning?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Get the hard plastic ones, and not the gallon of milk type (nor do you want regular 16 oz water bottles). Keep them in a cool dark place.

The milk type jugs and/or keeping them in hot or sunlit areas will cause the plastic to degrade. You don't want that.

Rotate (use) them every year or so. "They" recommend a gallon per person per day, but I've found that half a gallon is probably sufficient. I'd say two weeks is a good amount to keep on hand, so 7 gallons per person in your household.

Although, I will caveat that in that we have an extra 10-15 gallons just for things like washing our hands and doing dishes (not non-potable, but we don't drink it).

816Ofv0XzcL._SL1500_.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Get a well.

If the water turns off, shit is really going to go sideways
If they turn off water they also probably turned off the electricity.
Get the hard plastic ones, and not the gallon of milk type (nor do you want regular 16 oz water bottles). Keep them in a cool dark place.

The milk type jugs and/or keeping them in hot or sunlit areas will cause the plastic to degrade. You don't want that.

Rotate (use) them every year or so. "They" recommend a gallon per person per day, but I've found that half a gallon is probably sufficient. I'd say two weeks is a good amount to keep on hand, so 7 gallons per person in your household.

Although, I will caveat that in that we have an extra 10-15 gallons just for things like washing our hands and doing dishes (not non-potable, but we don't drink it).

View attachment 371787
IMO id go with individual 16oz bottles. Practical for carrying around and allows you to easily pass out water to friendlies while knowing exactly how much you have left.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

View attachment 371787
I haven’t seen these before at Publix. Maybe Costco has em?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Get a well.

Have an old well that at one point was used for landscape watering. Could maybe get it fixed but would definitely need some sort of filtration system I imagine.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Fuck it. May have someone take a look at my well. Problem is that its in NO WAY up to code. I mean it was done when permitting wasn’t even a thing. I imagine that getting it fixed may require permitting?

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Get a well.

You could get a 50 gallon jug and just keep a supply of water treatment stuff. Also Amazon has a thing called water Bob that turns your tub in a giant water storage device. Last option if you're staying at home, have a pool, or identify nearby pools and have a way to efficiently move the water back to your house, wagon jugs and a hose to siphon. Plus trusty ar to keep the natives at bay.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Our cabin has several large ponds, and we have water filters.

Still going to get a hand pump well installed soon

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
How long will rice stay good for and what’s the best way to store it? Glass jars?

Looking for long term food items - I have a good spam supply. Gonna buy canned veggies. Looking for more ideas. Longer shelf life the better.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
How long will rice stay good for and what’s the best way to store it?
If you vacuum seal it, it's good for 4-5 years. Will also last longer if it's refrigerated or frozen.