The Prepper Thread

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
170d 17h 47m
Fundamental problem with all prepping imo unless you truly live out in the absolute middle of nowhere.

If youre prepping to get through a few weeks of societal disruption(mainly natural disasters), it makes perfect sense.

If youre prepping to make it through the complete break down of society, anything beyond a go bag and some food and water is pointless. You arent going to be taking advantage of your sweet solar setup cooking all that rice you had stored in mylar bags. Raiders are because youll either be dead or long gone.

Ya, i'd say it's doable though, and many people will do it. You just need to have a defensible location and at the very least, three families to have a proper 24/7 watch while also being able to get work done. Five + families would be much better. Even then, you have to hope the populace gets back towards civilized society within a certain time frame (probably a year?). If not you'll end up with roving bands of enough people to overwhelm almost any defensive position.

LachiusTZ

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
<Silver Donator>
No way. The less availability of primary resources (food water medicine) the higher chance of “raiders”.

There will be "food".

Gruel for you, steak and potatoes for me.

Biden has stated several times, massive lockdown.

Last time, your couldn't get shit paper and bread for a month? And that was not a national lockdown.

Nobody will starve, but there is a very real chance the selection is going to get drastically reduced.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
170d 17h 47m
There will be "food".

Last time, your couldn't get shit paper and bread for a month? And that was not a national lockdown.

Nobody will starve, but there is a very real chance the selection is going to get drastically reduced.

we were talking about near total collapse situations

Lenardo

Blackwing Lair Raider
42d 3h 29m
HEH i am supplied tp wise,
family of 5 -3 male 2 female, i think i have enough tp on hand to last ~90 days.
i have 4 12 packs of charmin the quad roll? pack, i forget which
80 rolls of 1000sheet single ply(one case) of the amazon brand. and 2 cases of the industrial single ply mega rolls that my wife bought (you know the giant rolls that go in stadiums.....

food wise, we could last ~2 months probably with the food we have on hand if need be.
i do need to pick up some more jerky and landjaeger (think slim jims but WAY better) though, i have eaten most of it....
the landjaeger i get here:

Gravel

Bronze Baron of the Realm
105d 18h 9m
There will be "food".

Speaking of, my wife went to the grocery store here in CA and said everything seemed out of stock.

Her family in Kentucky said the same thing about a trip to Sam's.

Is there some kind of supply chain disruption right now that no one is talking about?

LachiusTZ

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
<Silver Donator>
Speaking of, my wife went to the grocery store here in CA and said everything seemed out of stock.

Is there some kind of supply chain disruption right now that no one is talking about?

Not sure if you heard, but, Biden is about to be PotUS

Cutlery

<Bronze Donator>
66d 19h 4m
Fundamental problem with all prepping imo unless you truly live out in the absolute middle of nowhere.

If youre prepping to get through a few weeks of societal disruption(mainly natural disasters), it makes perfect sense.

If youre prepping to make it through the complete break down of society, anything beyond a go bag and some food and water is pointless. You arent going to be taking advantage of your sweet solar setup cooking all that rice you had stored in mylar bags. Raiders are because youll either be dead or long gone.

Next thing on the list for me was to buy a slot of land in the north with my sister. Great grandparents farmed there in the early 1900's, so should still be doable, and there's a pretty massive whitetail herd there. There's still people, but it's people per 40 acres, instead of people per city block. Slap a couple of cabins on the land back out aways from the road, hopefully have a place to hunker down. Endless timber for warmth, water table is pretty reasonable.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to wonder if we're running outta time for that plan.

Bandwagon

ResetEra Staff Member
<Silver Donator>
Unfortunately, I'm starting to wonder if we're running outta time for that plan.
Nah, it's the perfect time. Take out a huge loan that you have no intention of fully repaying. Maybe you'll get 80 acres for ~2 years worth of mortgage payments.

• 1Like
Reactions: Aldarion

Cutlery

<Bronze Donator>
66d 19h 4m
Nah, it's the perfect time. Take out a huge loan that you have no intention of fully repaying. Maybe you'll get 80 acres for ~2 years worth of mortgage payments.

Won't even be that much of an investment. Land in the north is close to 1k/acre in a lot of areas. We were literally spitballing having a gigantic dog park/shooting range (depending on the weekend) for literally a couple hundred bucks a month.

I'm just wondering if we have time to set everything up before everything goes to shit. The timeline of the world has been accelerated quite a bit lately.

Bandwagon

ResetEra Staff Member
<Silver Donator>
Won't even be that much of an investment. Land in the north is close to 1k/acre in a lot of areas. We were literally spitballing having a gigantic dog park/shooting range (depending on the weekend) for literally a couple hundred bucks a month.

I'm just wondering if we have time to set everything up before everything goes to shit. The timeline of the world has been accelerated quite a bit lately.
If I was single with no kids, I'd already be packing a U-Haul and aiming for the least populated areas of the reddest states, with the warmer ones getting higher priority.

Now that I actually know how to make maps and parse data like that (and census data), I'm a little bummed that I don't have the freedom to pick up and move like I did my whole adult life. I was just playing with that a few weeks ago.

Cutlery

<Bronze Donator>
66d 19h 4m
Yeah, unfortunately I have kids...and joint custody of the youngest, so it's gonna need to be a societal collapse before I can bug out. Hunkering here for now, with enough supplies to wait out a little bit at least.

• 1Like
Reactions: B_Mizzle

B_Mizzle

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
45d 10h 10m
Yeah, unfortunately I have kids...and joint custody of the youngest, so it's gonna need to be a societal collapse before I can bug out. Hunkering here for now, with enough supplies to wait out a little bit at least.

Same situation hamstring myself by getting married/divorced with kids, now I'm stuck in the desert for about 10 more years. Could bug out if there is a major disruption though.

Big Phoenix

Trump's Staff
197d 27m
Even then, you have to hope the populace gets back towards civilized society within a certain time frame (probably a year?).
Yup. Unless the breakdown is only temporary eventually your oasis will fall. Why I dont think too much into long term, as its much more likely you will be forced to leave your home or just be killed.

I keep enough canned/ready to eat food on hand to last me a minimum of two weeks(getting this back up to a month) and enough water to last a month. If power isnt an issue then I have enough food to last probably close to two months before id need to get more. I need to get another case of MREs, those are great because just 1 is good enough to keep you alive and theyre very portable so if you need to get up and go you have everything you need for a meal aside from water.

For general food preparedness, id make sure to have a 25lb bag of rice on hand. Doesn't get much better for price to calories and ease of cooking for rice. Also incredibly versatile as it compliments so many other things. My staple is 1-3 cups of rice + can of corned beef hash, very simple and easy to prepare meal that decent tasting and can feed many cheaply. Ramen is another great option in terms of price to calories. Of course that assumes you have power, or the ability to boil water.

Another thing to consider is sanitation. If theres no power or running water you arent gonna be able to really clean any dishes so good to have a package or two of disposable plates and forks/spoons.

As for water, definitely go with cases of 16oz bottles.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
94d 3h 28m

The closer you are to the coasts the worse things will get faster. Things are made in middle America and shipped East/West. Meaning middle America tends to get stocked first and restocked more easily.

• 1Like
Reactions: B_Mizzle