The Prepper Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Rajaah Rajaah should probably browse some of the recommendations in this thread before you nearly let another case of spam go bad, lol.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
My friend just started a little prepper store (Former coworker, surveyor, mormon) - Products – Camping, Hiking & Survival

Posting it here just in case someone feels like supporting a friend of a friend. I think he's just doing this because people from his church keep asking him for advice, so he figured he'd try to set something up and make it easy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My friend just started a little prepper store (Former coworker, surveyor, mormon) - Products – Camping, Hiking & Survival

Posting it here just in case someone feels like supporting a friend of a friend. I think he's just doing this because people from his church keep asking him for advice, so he figured he'd try to set something up and make it easy.
That isn't a store, it's a just a small and fairly random list of Amazon referral links. and one link to an out of stock custom knife that I would never shell out 400 dollars for.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That knife looks like someone watched Forged in Fire and then tried to sell their first knife for $400.

Oldbased

> Than U
Oldbased Oldbased

Which ancel tester do you use for your portable generators? Looking to get one.
I think it is Ba201 works on 6v/12v and a wide range of every battery type lead, flooded, lion, deep and so forth.
It paid for itself the day I got it by diagnosing a battery issue in the car on a NEW battery. I took it to be replaced a week after buying and they tried to run me around on it, I pulled out the tester and they swapped it. Battery been going good a year+ since.

Should add, battery had a short that testing volts on didn't show until cranking amps were applied and it'd short out.
Think I paid $40 on sale.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So broke out some approximately 2-3 year old frozen chicken thighs, not good. I'm sure they were safe to eat, but I cooked them in siracha sauce with garlic and pepers and the taste was basically unedible. I got about 1 down and was on the second one and had to stop. Vice some frozen beef patties from Sam's club which are covered in ice same age or older, fry em in a pan, put a little hot sauce and some cheese and they are perfectly fine, no major taste issues.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So broke out some approximately 2-3 year old frozen chicken thighs, not good. I'm sure they were safe to eat, but I cooked them in siracha sauce with garlic and pepers and the taste was basically unedible. I got about 1 down and was on the second one and had to stop. Vice some frozen beef patties from Sam's club which are covered in ice same age or older, fry em in a pan, put a little hot sauce and some cheese and they are perfectly fine, no major taste issues.

I did slow cooker chicken and potatoes yesterday with ~2 year old breasts, and had basically the same outcome. Chicken just doesn’t freeze (or maybe thaw?) well, even vacuum sealed. The pre-frozen bags of chicken breast seem to last longer, but they always kind of have that mild freezer taste.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
How long did you cook them for? I'm a total fucking snob with chicken and only buy it from the butcher shop, but my woman got a few at the poor people grocery store recently. I had those things in the crock pot for 18 hours and it was pretty damn good. She tried baking the 2nd package the next weekend and it tasted like absolute shit.

Normally I do ~8 hours in the crock pot for chicken, but this garbage was good after 18.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I did slow cooker chicken and potatoes yesterday with ~2 year old breasts, and had basically the same outcome. Chicken just doesn’t freeze (or maybe thaw?) well, even vacuum sealed. The pre-frozen bags of chicken breast seem to last longer, but they always kind of have that mild freezer taste.

from a deep freeze properly vacuumed?

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How long did you cook them for? I'm a total fucking snob with chicken and only buy it from the butcher shop, but my woman got a few at the poor people grocery store recently. I had those things in the crock pot for 18 hours and it was pretty damn good. She tried baking the 2nd package the next weekend and it tasted like absolute shit.

Normally I do ~8 hours in the crock pot for chicken, but this garbage was good after 18.

Girlfriend got them on sale from the nicer grocery store in town, but still not butcher fresh. It was in for 7 hours.

from a deep freeze properly vacuumed?

Amazon special food saver and a dedicated chest freezer in my basement, so maybe? Older beef and venison have been totally fine out of it, but I get that packaged straight from the butcher.

I’m going to blame the shitty grocery store chicken.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Girlfriend got them on sale from the nicer grocery store in town, but still not butcher fresh. It was in for 7 hours.

Amazon special food saver and a dedicated chest freezer in my basement, so maybe? Older beef and venison have been totally fine out of it, but I get that packaged straight from the butcher.

ya probably i've never ate chicken after multiple years but have with beef and pork and it's fine, could be either

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

was it the whole chicken or specific parts like you had rubbery boobs?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Frozen chicken will be an edible source of protein pretty much forever, but you can't really keep it frozen longer than a year if you want it to still taste like chicken, even if properly vacuum packed.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Frozen chicken will be an edible source of protein pretty much forever, but you can't really keep it frozen longer than a year if you want it to still taste like chicken, even if properly vacuum packed.

Seems odd it works for other meat and not chicken, maybe the problem is breast with those longer fibers that may be damaged by the ice crystals vs thighs/legs with more fat. Could explain why beef/pork keeps for so long while still being palatable.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, so this isn't a true "Prepper" question, or maybe it is... But this seems to be the best place to drop it.

Deep Freezer Inventory Management

So, we have a chest freezer here which we use for storing meat. We also have a second fridge which we store some things in (mostly bread and such in the freezer, drinks and a few odd bits in the fridge).

The obvious best practice for leveraging a deep freezer would be that you want to use your oldest stock first. Around Chez Haus we know what the oldest/newest is because we label the vacuum bags when we pack and seal the meat before freezing. In the case of a chest freezer (and how gravity works) this means that over time your oldest stock is always on the bottom under all your newer stock. Right now around twice a year Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I will have "Big Meat Inventory Day" where we'll fold out a table next to the chest freezer, completely unpack it onto the table, then reload it newest stuff on the bottom. This also keeps us up to date on what we're going through faster or slower, and good ideas of what to keep an eye for sales on to stock back up.

I'm wondering if any of your folks have any better systems for this? I'm debating getting a standing freezer, but the hoarder in me knows that would just mean additional space (and much easier to keep organized) and I'd still keep the chest freezer (which was a free hand me down from the brother in law when he upgraded to a larger one). A new standing chest freezer would only be around $250 which is pretty easy to work into the budget right now.

• 1Like