The Prepper Thread

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
One item I found by accident that holds up really well with basically 0 effort. Regular sugar in a plastic tub in my pantry has been sitting there for about 8 years or so since my ex mother in law left it there (I don't bake) I tasted it recently and could not tell in any way it had been sitting around for 8 years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
One item I found by accident that holds up really well with basically 0 effort. Regular sugar in a plastic tub in my pantry has been sitting there for about 8 years or so since my ex mother in law left it there (I don't bake) I tasted it recently and could not tell in any way it had been sitting around for 8 years.

Yeah, white sugar lasts forever. It's even got antibacterial properties.

• 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

That Steve1989 dude eats 60 year old sugar out of MRE's all the time.

And oddly enough, my sister just this weekend started putting sugar on her dog's open wounds for just that reason. She had been doing honey before, but the dog licked it off all the time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

B_Mizzle

Yeah I definitely added some sugar to my preps after I saw how it held up. 25 pounds for $15 at Sam's, and just bag it up in mylar, should be good for my lifetime.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
What's a safe way to store around 10 gallons of gas in a garage or on a side yard. Should I just grab some plastic cans or metal?

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's a safe way to store around 10 gallons of gas in a garage or on a side yard. Should I just grab some plastic cans or metal?

Plastic cans are fine, but you’ll want to replace the nozzles and make sure they have a pressure release valve. I like 2.5 gallon cans because the 5 gallon cans always seem to leak around the nozzle threads. Make sure you add Stabil to the gas and rotate your stash yearly.

• 3Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Source for cheap easy access antibiotics is going away;

The expertise of the veterinarian is critical to ensuring the responsible use of antibiotics in animals.

Fucking lol, expertise. Vets are complete sellout dipshits. You know how many vets have told me I shouldn't feed my dog raw meat? Why, doc? Because the wolf has figured out how to cook all his meals? Go fuck yourself.

• 1Like

B_Mizzle

Fucking lol, expertise. Vets are complete sellout dipshits. You know how many vets have told me I shouldn't feed my dog raw meat? Why, doc? Because the wolf has figured out how to cook all his meals? Go fuck yourself.

Is indiamart legit? I looked on there for stuff, it's just hard to tell if you're getting the real stuff. If you're ordering heart meds or blood pressure meds, you could take one and tell if it's real or not. Antibiotics, not so sure how to test them? Seems like having a few zpacks, some amoxicillin and maybe some bactrim DS for emergencies would be prudent.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
MRE. Has everything you need and will last 5-6 years minimum if stored properly.

There a place to get them with reliable certainty of quality? Let's just say Amazon sending me a counterfeit Safariland holster rig has me about done with that place. Then I thought ebay, but then you're wondering how they were stored before they got to you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

B_Mizzle

There a place to get them with reliable certainty of quality? Let's just say Amazon sending me a counterfeit Safariland holster rig has me about done with that place. Then I thought ebay, but then you're wondering how they were stored before they got to you.

Find someone who has base access and go get them at the commissary on the military base. Or have the person order them online from the commissary website.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Check Mountain House freeze dried packs. They are actually decent tasting and they claim it lasts 30 years.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Recommendations for basic long term food kits?
I personally recommend you start with a pantry extension before you jump into MREs/freeze dried. Get a heavy duty metal shelf and fill it with non-perishables that you already eat anyway. MRE/freeze dry pouches are great but they're like 3-4x the cost per calorie and not a great starting point imo.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This seller is legit, bought a case myself;

Though god damn prices have sky rocketed. When I bought that case April of 2021 it was $100 shipped.

MRE/freeze dry pouches are great but they're like 3-4x the cost per calorie and not a great starting point imo.
Yeah they definitely should not be your go to but one case is good for emergencies imo. Very convenient form factor if you need to throw some food in a backpack or give some to someone.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Singular7

Molten Core Raider
Eating 8 year old enriched white rice now, indistinguishable from brand new.

• 3Like