The Prepper Thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So uh what do you when youre soaking wet with near freezing water in freezing conditions once youre out?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So uh what do you when youre soaking wet with near freezing water in freezing conditions once youre out?
Find a nice exposed spot, strip down, and work on your tan.

What kind of dumbass question is that? Shelter, dry clothes, heat source.

• 1Worf

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure it isn't what you meant but that comes off like, why even get out of the water.
Find a nice exposed spot, strip down, and work on your tan.

What kind of dumbass question is that? Shelter, dry clothes, heat source.
It's funny being in the frozen north and realizing how many things I know about and take for granted. When I was in high school a wrestler near me got stuck in a blizzard, dug a snow cave after realizing his car wasn't going to cut it and survived just fine. Yeah, he remembered the vent.

I'm sure I'd make some stupid mistakes in the desert or whatever.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sure it isn't what you meant but that comes off like, why even get out of the water.

It's funny being in the frozen north and realizing how many things I know about and take for granted. When I was in high school a wrestler near me got stuck in a blizzard, dug a snow cave after realizing his car wasn't going to cut it and survived just fine. Yeah, he remembered the vent.

I'm sure I'd make some stupid mistakes in the desert or whatever.
I wouldn't have been a dick if I'd thought it was a genuine question but I think he was making the Admiral Obvious point that you aren't saved yet just because you managed to get back out of the water.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Why worry about it? 200 lbs of man and his body will easily overcome a bit of freezing water. The air is and will continue to be your greater threat, because you can't get out of that, but more likely than not if the ice is thin enough to be breaking, the air is warm enough that there's no real frostbite risk to anyone adjusted to the cold.

Questions like this are bizarre to me, as someone who grew up enjoying swimming in frozen water and thinking 20 degrees was a nice warm tshirt day.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Why worry about it? 200 lbs of man and his body will easily overcome a bit of freezing water. The air is and will continue to be your greater threat, because you can't get out of that, but more likely than not if the ice is thin enough to be breaking, the air is warm enough that there's no real frostbite risk to anyone adjusted to the cold.

Questions like this are bizarre to me, as someone who grew up enjoying swimming in frozen water and thinking 20 degrees was a nice warm tshirt day.
Gotta dial it back too obvious.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Gotta dial it back too obvious.
If you think I’m trolling you’ve never been in the far north during winter. Yes the cold can kill you, but most of the time it’s your willpower that is weak, not the body. There’s tons of people who swim in ice water, and if you’re at a North Dakota Walmart you’ll see random joes walking in with tshirts all the time if it’s a nice day and 20 degrees.

Learning to see the real signs of when your body is in danger and knowing how to properly act are essential parts of survival training imo. Falling into ice water is not a big deal at all, just uncomfortable.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So started clearing some room in the deep freezer and testing a few items that had been long term frozen. Chicken doesn't work at all, it's probably safe to eat but the taste is unbearable to me, so just tossing it all. Unfroze some sams club standard sliced cheese, the 3/5 pound package, the top and bottom slices seemed no good the bottom got soaked while it thawed and the top slice was hard, but probably still edilble. Other than that, tastes fine and seems good. That sat in there for 3 years. Also tested out some imitation crab meat, thawed out fine, tastes basically like I just bought it. Same time about 3 years.

I'm starting to think maybe it is basically as long as something is salted up, it will last long term in a deep freezer and not become terrible tasting.

• 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
So started clearing some room in the deep freezer and testing a few items that had been long term frozen. Chicken doesn't work at all, it's probably safe to eat but the taste is unbearable to me, so just tossing it all. Unfroze some sams club standard sliced cheese, the 3/5 pound package, the top and bottom slices seemed no good the bottom got soaked while it thawed and the top slice was hard, but probably still edilble. Other than that, tastes fine and seems good. That sat in there for 3 years. Also tested out some imitation crab meat, thawed out fine, tastes basically like I just bought it. Same time about 3 years.

I'm starting to think maybe it is basically as long as something is salted up, it will last long term in a deep freezer and not become terrible tasting.

So, for sliced cheese, when you pull it out of the freezer, put a paper towel in the package to absorb the moisture as it thaws.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I haven't read this entire thread, so maybe you guys have talked about it already. I recently tried out dehydrated cheese and butter. The cheese is fucking amazeballs. Not only will I be getting some for storage, I'll be keeping that on hand for everyday use. The butter kinda tastes like you'd expect powdered butter to taste. Not bad, but not butter. My question about this is does anyone know if you can use powdered butter in baking? I'm leaning towards no right now. I rehydrated some using the instructions on the box and while it looks passable, it doesn't melt right when I heat it up in the microwave. I'm pretty sure it won't be any good for sautéing, but I'm planning to try it out anyway.

On another note, I checked out some of the beans we had in storage. We vacuum seal it in 2 cup packs. Most of them were starting to get puffy after a couple of years. I looked it up online and the puffiness isn't dangerous per se as long as you cooked it, but I saw some advice to cook it longer because it wouldn't be as tender. So I tried some and added a minute to the cook time in my pressure cooker and it was all delicious still

We also vacuum pack rice and store it and we learned a hard lesson about that. Apparently it's a good idea to put the rice in your freezer for a while before you pack it so you don't find bags full of dead moths 2 years later. I picked up a bag and went "Did we mix brown rice and white rice? Why would we do that? OH LAWD JESUS CHRIST!"

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Some friends of mine just bought a small ranch with a house on it that was owned by a big time prepper. He died and his meth head son lived there for a while so it's been a while since he was doing this stuff. They showed me his food cache and I wouldn't touch any of that shit. He had like 30 5 gallon buckets of rice and beans which I didn't look into but they said they seemed to have held up pretty well. There was a shit load of canned food though that was expired in 2010ish and it was all puffed up and leaking. There was a bunch of home canned corn and green beans also but I don't think I'd be eating those unless I was desperate either. All in all it sort of brought home that you need to rotate that shit every few years.

There's also a rumor that he buried $250k worth of silver somewhere on the property. Probably bullshit but they bought a metal detector to play around with anyway.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
There's also a rumor that he buried $250k worth of silver somewhere on the property. Probably bullshit but they bought a metal detector to play around with anyway.
Do magnetometers pick up silver?

DJI_0172_800x600.jpg
download (13).jpeg
DSC04672_800x596.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't know. Magnets don't stick to silver but there is some way that a metal detector can pick it up I understand. A drone would be helpful since the place is like 3 or 4 square miles and you could walk around with a metal detector until hell froze over.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
I haven't read this entire thread, so maybe you guys have talked about it already. I recently tried out dehydrated cheese and butter. The cheese is fucking amazeballs. Not only will I be getting some for storage, I'll be keeping that on hand for everyday use.
What brand of cheese did you try?