The Prepper Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
that movie was so bad and the logic was brain dead lol. It sticks out in my mind because my GF dumped me a week later or so after I decided to see that in the theater alone while she went alone to watch some faux Irish romcom. I should have seen the romcom!!!

Daybreakers is fun! It's sorta stupid but I like the world.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
A few years ago our work hosted a disaster preparedness briefing. It was a bit of a wakeup call for us, and so we went out and bought about 10 gallons of water that we stored in a closet.

Unrelated, we ended up building our van (2018 Promaster) for camping. It's got a 100A lithium battery and 200W of solar on the roof, plus we keep another 10-15 gallons of water in it just for normal use.

Fast forward to last summer and we got hit with the back to back earthquakes. I was able to move all our refrigerated perishables into the van's fridge, and we left our freezers alone. Turns out, having a van or an RV is the ultimate "bug out bag."

Last week the guy came back and gave the same briefing (this time with a slant on, "I told you so"), and my thoughts were mostly "I got this shit."

But anyway, for disasters, having 7 days should be your goal. If you're truly cut off, your town/city probably only has about 3 days of supplies. Keep 7 days of water and you're good to go. Eat your fridge first, then freezer, and then non-perishables. Most people probably already have 7 days of food in their house, but not the water.

For an epic disaster, you'd need 30 days. All that really means is a bit more water and then buy some dried/canned goods of things you already eat. You're probably wasting your time with prepper shit like MRE's and nitrogen packed food.

For end of the world shit, you really need a cabin far away from city centers, but also a means to escape. Likely roads will be a giant shitshow. This is also why having an RV or something for smaller disasters is awesome though, because you can just leave and go somewhere that's not a disaster (for the non world ending events).

Edit: Oh, the guy also said that whatever you do, you want to avoid getting put in a FEMA shelter. Basically, having 7 days of food and water shouldn't even be about "surviving," but avoiding that hellhole.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I keep a couple bug out bags. Can prolly be out of the house with everything in five minutes?

In reality, it's just my old backpack I need unpacked, a gun bag, and a hunting pack. But if you as then together I've got pretty much everything needed. Except water / food.

Cad Cad

Curious what your plan really is. You have mentioned relocation for this type of consideration, but given where you are, and some other stuff you have posted I'm really skeptical of your situation for the Corona zombies.

Oh I don’t think there’s any hope for being in the middle of the city like where I am except to fight your way through the first few days and try to get out to the country.

I have the usual basic stuff, solar power and batteries for basic electronics, couple weeks worth of that 30 year shelf life food, life straws and gallons of water and water purification pills.

But I also have several thousands rounds of ammo, rifles, and I know how to shoot, which I think will be a lot more important.

For some zombies scenario I think living alone off the land is unrealistic. You’re going to need to be in a group and provide skills.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I've got a week's worth of food and water, and a generator, since we need that for mom if something were to go wrong with the power grid locally. Main plan in case of shit hitting the fan would be to hop in the truck and head to the family farm out in the boonies. Older brother already converted the tornado shelter into an arsenal since he's a gun guy.

But more likely I'll just die in the initial bullshit as some country nukes Offut Air Force Base

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
For some zombies scenario I think living alone off the land is unrealistic. You’re going to need to be in a group and provide skills.

Surviving a zombie scenario is too dependent on the nature of the zombies. Like I don't see how slow shambling zombies could provide any kind of serious threat to even regional civilization, let alone global.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Screamfeeder Screamfeeder

It sounds like you've got a pretty good off-grid setup already built. I've only thought about these issues from a theoretical perspective because I'm too poor to actually build anything for myself. If you have the actual experience you should do some kind of write-up, it would be interesting I'm sure.

I'm picturing some kind of remote semi-desert semi-mountainous area where you've built/aquired what amounts to a fire lookout building on the top of some piece of terrain and then managed to set up some power and amenities to it.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Screamfeeder Screamfeeder

It sounds like you've got a pretty good off-grid setup already built. I've only thought about these issues from a theoretical perspective because I'm too poor to actually build anything for myself. If you have the actual experience you should do some kind of write-up, it would be interesting I'm sure.

I'm picturing some kind of remote semi-desert semi-mountainous area where you've built/aquired what amounts to a fire lookout building on the top of some piece of terrain and then managed to set up some power and amenities to it.
Its a 500 acre property in REDACTED that my brother and I have been playing with since our dad died.

Parts of it are crazy "prepped" but others are very much works in progress.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We own a piece of property in N Michigan, pretty remote area which does have a small community of vacationers (20?) and a few that are retired.

I have all sorts of shit up there to survive. Welders, generators, snowmobiles, ATVs, a boat, tons of hunting and fishing shit shit (even though I never hunted before) dude in our neighborhood has a buried 200-300 gallon tank of gas that he uses for his snowmobiles and ATV since he uses special gas he orderes which has no ethanol in it. We also have a well with excellent water although it is pumped by electricity. But I have ran it before with a generator, so as long as its pressurized you can get a good solid water flow from it for a few hours until you have to pressurize it again....

We also have neighbors that have tracotors, exccavators, earth movers, one dude even has an air plane.

Only trouble will be getting the fuck out of the burbs...

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Surviving a zombie scenario is too dependent on the nature of the zombies. Like I don't see how slow shambling zombies could provide any kind of serious threat to even regional civilization, let alone global.

In most cases the zombies aren’t the real threat its the breakdown of civilization and other people that are the threat.

World War Z was slow shambling zombies right? The book here, not the movie...

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In most cases the zombies aren’t the real threat its the breakdown of civilization and other people that are the threat.

World War Z was slow shambling zombies right? The book here, not the movie...

Yes, at least there they came up with convoluted geo-political reasons as to why slow zombies were able to reach critical mass and overrun modern civilization.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
My best friend since junior high works in Homeland Security. I've learned a lot of interesting shit from him, such as there are Geiger-counter like devices planted along all our major highways that monitor and track the movement of nuclear material. There are also strike teams that are assembled to take out such threats in case nuclear material get moved without authorization.

We are in Los Angles, and the other big thing is he says the number of terrorist threats are crazy high. Of course, the vast majority are false alarms, but it's definitely changed him and made him more paranoid I think.

He's the only prepper I know of, but I can assure you he's not some crazy person. He's very stoic and rationale. He does have bug-out bags, guns, etc., and he has encouraged me to do the same. His mother-in-law also has a large property up in Lake Arrowhead that he has converted to become a "base of operations" in case shit hits the fan. So lots of food/water storage, supplies, air/water filtration, etc. He's always told me that if the shit fits the fan to head there. The hard part of course would be to get there because if all hell does break loose traffic is going to be a disaster and I don't live anywhere near Lake Arrowhead.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
My best friend since junior high works in Homeland Security. I've learned a lot of interesting shit from him, such as there are Geiger-counter like devices planted along all our major highways that monitor and track the movement of nuclear material. There are also strike teams that are assembled to take out such threats in case nuclear material get moved without authorization.

We are in Los Angles, and the other big thing is he says the number of terrorist threats are crazy high. Of course, the vast majority are false alarms, but it's definitely changed him and made him more paranoid I think.

He's the only prepper I know of, but I can assure you he's not some crazy person. He's very stoic and rationale. He does have bug-out bags, guns, etc., and he has encouraged me to do the same. His mother-in-law also has a large property up in Lake Arrowhead that he has converted to become a "base of operations" in case shit hits the fan. So lots of food/water storage, supplies, air/water filtration, etc. He's always told me that if the shit fits the fan to head there. The hard part of course would be to get there because if all hell does break loose traffic is going to be a disaster and I don't live anywhere near Lake Arrowhead.
Sounds like he's neglecting his oath and telling you information he shouldn't l

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
It's not important what we do with your things in death, but how you slept in life.
I am totally a 9 and 17.
View attachment 245209
i am none of those.. i am a combo of flopped 3 (legs are not curled up like that) i sleep on my right side not left, and 18ish.. but i use 2 pillows, one UNDER my head,, one on top of my head with my arm like 18 over it.

my bug out spot is heading to the mountains of NH around conway..

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The hard part of course would be to get there because if all hell does break loose traffic is going to be a disaster and I don't live anywhere near Lake Arrowhead.
yea prepper rule is aside from having the means and time to learn how to fly a helicopter, motorcycle and bike should be your means of transport

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
several years ago my son's science project was a solar usb charger. we made it etc, it still works and is in the basement atm. so my ereader and phone will still charge np.

once i get some cash freed up i am buying ~40ish acres and putting in one of these as well as a cabin with solar, windmill and a generator.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think we should figure out who has the best "bug out" bunker and we designate that the "FoH Alamo", for all our forums bros who make it out of the major cities. I'll offer up my girlfriend as tribute(she sucks in bed, but sex is sex when the apocalypse hits).

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I think we should figure out who has the best "bug out" bunker and we designate that the "FoH Alamo", for all our forums bros who make it out of the major cities. I'll offer up my girlfriend as tribute(she sucks in bed, but sex is sex when the apocalypse hits).
There are about 10 people on this forum I would give access to. The rest we will hunt for sport.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users