The Prepper Thread

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Best way to store water? Bottled water in air conditioning?
In a fast pinch, like shits getting real and you suspect things may get disrupted, they make tub/shower bags that you fill and gives you quite a bit of water if you get it before contamination or anything. Come/or can get little pumps, and bingo bango like 60-100 gallons per tub.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
In a fast pinch, like shits getting real and you suspect things may get disrupted, they make tub/shower bags that you fill and gives you quite a bit of water if you get it before contamination or anything. Come/or can get little pumps, and bingo bango like 60-100 gallons per tub.
I actually have a river that flows through my property. Just ordered some lifestraws and think I’ll go for bottled water in case I need to go mobile.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Just ordered $350 worth of prepper rice, beans and fruits to test out.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Unless you live out in the absolute middle of nowhere, buying enough rice/beans/whatever to eat for months and months is pretty worthless IMO. All that stuff takes water+energy to turn into food which aside from being someone you would also need to stockpile, all that will happen is the local raiders will know you have food, water and energy.

Anything more than a month is a waste imo.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I actually have a river that flows through my property. Just ordered some lifestraws and think I’ll go for bottled water in case I need to go mobile.
life straws are ghetto order a sawyer for the same price
3841a6b5242e2ef3b4d55896fbfe72d8.png

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Not drinking water, but our water went out during the hurricane. We had lots of drinking water and just put a bucket at each downspout and had plenty for flushing toilets. Of course it rains a couple of inches or more a week here.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Not drinking water, but our water went out during the hurricane. We had lots of drinking water and just put a bucket at each downspout and had plenty for flushing toilets. Of course it rains a couple of inches or more a week here.
Not worried about toilets. I have a river.

Oldbased

> Than U
Toilets I have
1631239529838.png

5 gallon lower tank 3 gallon top tank. Never used it but seems like it'd work ok. the Toilet and the little privacy tent were under $100 shipped off Amazon last year.

I have the 12 survivors purifier coming Saturday. 5 of them actually. Seems like lifestraws but has a removable cotton insert to filter larger junk before it gets to the filter core. Makes more sense to me.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Get a well.

If the water turns off, shit is really going to go sideways
Been dealing with a coworker who pulled his well head and put a new pump in 4 times. It's definitely at more than enough deepness. The water is turned off at his place. Guess he needs to drink the frog juice.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Looking for long term food items - I have a good spam supply. Gonna buy canned veggies. Looking for more ideas. Longer shelf life the better.

Shit is pretty crunchy though. 30 year shelf life.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Fuck it. May have someone take a look at my well. Problem is that its in NO WAY up to code. I mean it was done when permitting wasn’t even a thing. I imagine that getting it fixed may require permitting?

I don't know what code even means with regard to a well but there's nothing technical about them. It's just a hole in the ground that you stick a pump down. Just measure the depth with string and a bottle, have the water tested and see if it will kill you, then get a pump and hook power up to it. If it's deep that makes it more complicated, but I bet it's not. Didn't you say it has a jet pump on it? Probably means the water is less than 25 feet down there.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I don't know what code even means with regard to a well but there's nothing technical about them. It's just a hole in the ground that you stick a pump down. Just measure the depth with string and a bottle, have the water tested and see if it will kill you, then get a pump and hook power up to it. If it's deep that makes it more complicated, but I bet it's not. Didn't you say it has a jet pump on it? Probably means the water is less than 25 feet down there.
Pump is ancient. Not sure what it is. Was used to water about 5 acres of my land. Will take a pic of pump later today to post.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Looking into a manual switch to connect a generator to our pump. Like most (all?) its hard wired to a 220V circuit in the pumphouse, so if the SHTF for long enough we need to fire up the pump, I'd have to work with wires. Which is fine except these things usually happen in the middle of the night in pouring rain or ice.

Anyone done a manual switch like this? I can find instructions online but curious to hear about experiences.

I'm gonna feel a lot better about our long term prospects if we can maintain running water when the power goes down.

• 1Dislike

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Looking into a manual switch to connect a generator to our pump. Like most (all?) its hard wired to a 220V circuit in the pumphouse, so if the SHTF for long enough we need to fire up the pump, I'd have to work with wires. Which is fine except these things usually happen in the middle of the night in pouring rain or ice.

Anyone done a manual switch like this? I can find instructions online but curious to hear about experiences.

I'm gonna feel a lot better about our long term prospects if we can maintain running water when the power goes down.
My parents had that done, except their entire electrical system was on the backup generator. It actually worked well. Remember to fire up the generator regularly to keep it in working order.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's a common thing, just called a generator cut-off or a transfer switch. Generally it's at your meter. It's important that if you're going to electrify your house wiring that you're disconnected from the grid so some power company employee doesn't think the power is off and get electrocuted by your generator. You need to know how much capacity your generator has though and only turn on the number of breakers that the generator can handle.

Alternatively, you could put a 220 outlet at your well and a plug on the well power and then you could just unplug the well from the outlet and plug it into a generator if the power is out.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users