The Prepper Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Closed on our house last week of June. My first project was building a raised bed. Looks like I will get a nice fall harvest of San Marzano and blueberry tomatoes. Lemon tree is three years old and bearing its firatt fruit. Super easy to grow, there's no reason anyone with any room shouldn't have one growing. Right now I'm working on getting my brassica seedlings going; cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, and radish. Also getting a bed prepared for garlic and onions.

Everytime it rains I'm able to collect about 50 gallons of rainwater. Just use it for the plants right now. Plan to increase my capacity by a couple hundred gallons.

I'm not going full blown prepper right now but am taking some common sense precautions. Going without power for a week in Texas because of a winter storm was a definite wake up call.

IMG_20211020_161007199.jpg

IMG_20211020_160949646.jpg

IMG_20211020_161519561.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
What do you plan on doing with all the lemons?

We're in northern Florida so not quite warm enough where we can grow the good shit. But citrus is pretty high on the list of things that'd do well. I just don't know what I'd do with a bunch of lemons or limes.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

We're in northern Florida so not quite warm enough where we can grow the good shit. But citrus is pretty high on the list of things that'd do well. I just don't know what I'd do with a bunch of lemons or limes.

Avoid scurvy.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

Should have a few years to figure that out. I would think all trees would take a few years to produce anything, much less in quantity.

TheBeagle TheBeagle you still in Texas? I've thought about winter crops here, but prolly not feasible with the hard freezes we get.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor

I go through lemons like crazy. I keep a Yeti thermos full of ice water with a lemon wedge on me at all times. The wife is also an amazing cook so she will whip up a lemon cheese cake every now and then. One of the things about Meyer lemons is they will stay ripe on the tree forever so you can just pick them as you need them. Well, until you start getting hard freezes anyway.
Should have a few years to figure that out. I would think all trees would take a few years to produce anything, much less in quantity.

TheBeagle TheBeagle you still in Texas? I've thought about winter crops here, but prolly not feasible with the hard freezes we get.
Yes sir. I'm north of Ft Worth now, near the Texas Motor Speedway. New housing development but still far enough out that we bump up against a cattle pasture and have coyotes roaming the streets.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
If/when we get a hard freeze I will cover the raised beds with a quick and easy hoop greenhouse. Just need some plastic, a few 6' bamboo poles, and some cheap flex pipe.

• 2Like

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
So I bought an inverter generator. I always used old school generators. The small ones I'd just pull the cord and plug in whatever needed to be powered. Large diesel ones had to be properly grounded.

Well, according to the manual, my new little 2000w inverter generator apparently needs to be grounded with a 4ft grounding rod. The hell? Is it just the manufacturer covering their ass or do those things need proper grounding?

I figure I can recycle a three prong plug and connect a grounding cable to the grounding pin and leave the neutral and live pins unwired and plug that in an outside outlet to use the ground of my house. Driving a copper rod into the earth wherever I use that generator sounds pretty insane, I've never seen anyone ever ground a portable generator.

Thoughts?

20211027_170253.jpg

• 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It will work fine without a ground. The ground is just a safety thing. If you have something plugged into it with a metal casing and it somehow gets connected to the hot wire and there's no ground you could get a shock from it where if it was grounded it would trip the breaker. If you want to maximize safety you would ground any generator but nobody does it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In before someone post pic of guy welding on a job site with ground rod in a bucket of dirt. "Grounded".

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I picked three of these as they seem quite handy to have to have in any emergency;

The bars themselves are individually wrapped inside the shrink wrapped packaging. Tried one and it taste very bland, similar to a just barely sweet shortbread cookie or graham cracker. Also had the same texture/consistency as a shortbread cookie. Not great, not terrible but would more than be ok in a survival situation.

Id recommend a few(or similar style ration). A very convenient way to carry or store 3 days worth of calories.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Its not hard to make long term bread type stuff and then pack it into mylar with o2 absorbers for cheap. Its basically hard tack bread they took on long sea voyages (no yeast bread baked twice). Add in whatever powdered vitamins and minerals you want.

Been adding slowly to the canned meat stuff each week, kinda getting to a point of needing to move on to other areas of prepping like learning to farm or something.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If there's one thread that needs a bump right now....

Where the hell do ya find a shopping list for a years worth of dry goods? Do we have any Mormons here?!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have a couple of grain bins that I never use that each hold roughly 2 semi loads of grain. I have often wondered how much it would cost to fill one with rice and one with dry beans and how long it would last. Between that and 500 cows I feel like I could ride out a pretty serious apocalypse.

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

Where the hell do ya find a shopping list for a years worth of dry goods? Do we have any Mormons here?!
I've laid out my plan of buying an extra can of spam every time I shop. I have at least 10 years worth of spam by now, along with other long term food supplies. Rice is probably better than pasta for your carb protein fillers, I have a few hundred pounds of that stored away. After that, secure a source of water, have a big supply of multi vitamins and you are set for success. I have a reverse osmosis filtration unit(it makes even sea water drinkable) and multiple regular water filters just in case.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've laid out my plan of buying an extra can of spam every time I shop. I have at least 10 years worth of spam by now, along with other long term food supplies. Rice is probably better than pasta for your carb protein fillers, I have a few hundred pounds of that stored away. After that, secure a source of water, have a big supply of multi vitamins and you are set for success. I have a reverse osmosis filtration unit(it makes even sea water drinkable) and multiple regular water filters just in case.
My "prepping" is virtually non-existent. The stuff I do have is half-half-half-assed. Beans and Rice, I normally keep about 120lbs of each because we go through it often anyways. Ammo is good just because I stocked up in 2019 and mainly just shoot .22 when I go out (and only pellet guns now for the last year). I've got a bunch of random water filtration shit, but never went too deep into that because I have a well on-property and want to get a hand pump put in eventually. That's about it.

Honestly the only real prepper-related goal I have is ~500 acres with a freshwater creek (spring, ideally) on-property in an area that doesn't get snow. I'd love to be close enough to a body of water that supports fishing because I don't know how to hunt, too.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Split peas have impressive nutrients and density, as well as dried corn kernels, see plain popping corn. With rice, peas and corn, you basically just need some type of source of good fats, which technically you could get from just taking omega capsules in a pinch, or just stock up on canned corn beef and spam.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I have about 3-4 weeks of "emergency" rations. Anything that lasts longer than that, I plan on raiding the neighbors for. Anything that lasts longer than that, I don't really care to be around for. No fucking thank you on a, "The Road" reenactment.

• 2Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
My "prepping" is virtually non-existent. The stuff I do have is half-half-half-assed. Beans and Rice, I normally keep about 120lbs of each because we go through it often anyways. Ammo is good just because I stocked up in 2019 and mainly just shoot .22 when I go out (and only pellet guns now for the last year). I've got a bunch of random water filtration shit, but never went too deep into that because I have a well on-property and want to get a hand pump put in eventually. That's about it.

Honestly the only real prepper-related goal I have is ~500 acres with a freshwater creek (spring, ideally) on-property in an area that doesn't get snow. I'd love to be close enough to a body of water that supports fishing because I don't know how to hunt, too.
rice is actually cheap now, at least this brand (there are many varieties, but i assume you'll just trust my asian ass and buy whatever i say)
dbd52ae98a0c5f61ea65bf7f00439f6a.png

Nishiki Premium Rice, Medium Grain, 240 Oz, Pack of 1

the 15lbs are good b/c a 5gallon bucket can hold 36lbs of rice

a home depot bucket and lid costs 7bucks, so buy that, but two of these and DO NOT open them, just put them in the bucket, the bucket is there to protect the rice from moisture/rats, etc, it's not a "food safe" bucket, but those costs like 10bucks (i think they have gone down in price tho if you want to just cut it out)

30lbs of rice should last white ppl a good long time, maybe get two buckets, the investment would barely break 100bucks for 60lbs of rice gold

• 1Worf

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I have about 3-4 weeks of "emergency" rations. Anything that lasts longer than that, I plan on raiding the neighbors for. Anything that lasts longer than that, I don't really care to be around for. No fucking thank you on a, "The Road" reenactment.
I'm moving to step 2 at day 2. My neighbors are all retards with to much shit anyways. Lol