The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I literally paid to rewatch Enemy Mine like 2-3 months ago. It's one of my favorite movies from my childhood. I enjoyed the whole thing through again; it's dated in a lot of ways like the guys point out, but it's still a pretty decent watch. Definitely some nostalgia mixed in but it was good stuff.

So about that Dune review...

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Almost 100% I only saw Enemy Mine because in Blockbuster the guy on the cover (LGJ, Jerry) looked exactly like Grig from The Last Starfighter to my tiny child eyes.
The plot "twist" must have been a surprise. LOL. I saw this when it came on Cable/HBO/Showtime back when movies played like 10 times a day. I was expecting this regular 80's movie, and it definitely didn't turn out to be that. Sci-fi seemed to have more broad horizons, or it was just a more popular vehicle for telling a wider variety of stories. Just as likely or probably more true, there was much less content available thru fewer channels and thus we were more aware of the broad spectrum of what was out there, via books TV and movies, which was the whole encapsulation of human endeavor at the time, really. Now there is so much available, so many small producers/self-publishers/youtube etc. its impossible to know or find everything in the cacophony.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit Mike is goin bald fast. He's got the wet sweep up to cover the skin and a fluffy front part to cover the forehead. He will make an unfortunate baldy.

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They were always going to be really hard on it. It's exactly the kind of film they hate to see keep getting made.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The sad part is they came up with probably at least a dozen ideas that sound like brand new comedies instead of rehashes and could've worked.

Get an actual writers room together and you could get an actual story. This, like most new movies, seems like it was written by a conglomerate that's just checking boxes (whether they be callbacks to previous movies, corporate sponsors, or whatever else).

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The sad part is they came up with probably at least a dozen ideas that sound like brand new comedies instead of rehashes and could've worked.

Get an actual writers room together and you could get an actual story. This, like most new movies, seems like it was written by a conglomerate that's just checking boxes (whether they be callbacks to previous movies, corporate sponsors, or whatever else).
Do you take these motherfuckers for inviolate gospel or something? Everyone in the actual thread for the new Ghostbusters movie enjoyed it.

• 2Like
  • 1Direct to DVD
Reactions: 2 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>

That idea they were pitching back and forth with Venkman fucking up the whole business thing and unions fucking over their conglomerate could have been pretty funny.

And no, I haven't seen this movie, and don't care to. Good or not, fuck giving Hollywood a nickel.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Caliane

yeah. Haven't seen it yet, but their point of view on it, seems to match mine pretty tightly. Im ok with stranger things ripe off a bit. But, rehashing gozer, etc is awful. staypuft walmart is horrible, etc. People in the thread seem to be enjoying it though..

Also, yeah, their ideas on where GB 3 should have gone are great. should have riffed on "the founder". having Peter steal the name, and start franchising out, drastically reduce quality, etc. also bring in Michael Keaton in general. he could nail the proper tone for Ghostbusters.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Kind of a lackluster review. I'm honestly surprised they liked it as much as they did. I was happy that they talked about the David Lynch version, though, and it makes total sense with Jay.

At least Colin brought up the crappiness of the new movies soundtrack in comparison to the Toto one.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was a decent watch; I really like the two canadian guys they occasionally get (Colin and the guy who does matte paintings) whenever they are on.
I actually got bored by the new Dune pretty quickly, and then it fell of HBOmax while I had it paused in my browser haha. Maybe 20 minutes in; just something about it felt kind of bland.
I'm sure I'll finish it whenever it goes back to being on a streaming service I pay for (you know, f'n millions) but it lacked all the punch that the Lynch version had, and while being absolutely gorgeous for what I saw, it kind of just felt "meh." 20-30m in isn't enough to condemn the movie, but it definitely didn't start with K fighting Dave Bautista to grab your attention.

Caliane

Kind of a lackluster review. I'm honestly surprised they liked it as much as they did. I was happy that they talked about the David Lynch version, though, and it makes total sense with Jay.

At least Colin brought up the crappiness of the new movies soundtrack in comparison to the Toto one.
Yet Jay says he only saw it... last year for the first time.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I mean I liked the review. I love both the films but still prefer Lynch's version due to getting the feel down better as they explain in the review. The new Dune is a more coherent film though.

• 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>

First off, that santa they used between sets SERIOUSLY looks like William Frakes in a santa suit, it's unnerving.

Also, they call out Fedor Fedor by name. Even RLM knows he's been unjustly banned.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users