The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Was Jay hooking up with the red head who was occasionally on and some of their earlier years? I just always assumed that was probably his girlfriend/ wife.

Think she was in at least a handful of there earlier videos, but then disappeared.
She's an actress, Gillian Bellinger; whether she was boning Jay I have no idea. Gillian Bellinger

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Big Trouble in Little China is definitely my #1 as well, though I could see putting The Thing over it. I first saw Big Trouble at my Aunt and Uncle's house the same year it came out at like 11 years old, and it stuck in my mind even then as a great movie. Plus I met Eric Lee at a seminar before, who was one of the Wing Cong guys and helped with the stunts too IIRC. So there's my biases in favor of Big Trouble.

And I now know that my taste in movies is almost the same as Rich Evans'. I don't know how to feel about that...

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
So has there been a Plinkett review this year?
Last one was Picard in early 2020 I think. I don't think they like doing them anymore, I dunno, because the one prior to that was the Last Jedi in 2018. Someone more in touch with their trends could probably tell you something more definitive.

If they haven't done Rise of Skywalker by now..........it's low hanging fruit, probably TOO low.

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Last one was Picard in early 2020 I think. I don't think they like doing them anymore, I dunno, because the one prior to that was the Last Jedi in 2018. Someone more in touch with their trends could probably tell you something more definitive.

If they haven't done Rise of Skywalker by now..........it's low hanging fruit, probably TOO low.

They did a 70 minute Half in the Bag for Rise of Skywalker.

• 1Like

Musab

Molten Core Raider
Jay's utter disappointment in Rich ranking Vampires higher than Halloween.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Caliane

might get a plinkett on Dune.

having one on Valerion might have been interesting. did they do a break down on that?

for the Carpenter vid. But surprised Jay had big trouble so low. even with the "top 4 are so good". going in, I probably would have put big trouble at 1. Although, as rich's "can you find a flaw in The thing" points out.. I think I have to move The Thing to #1, with Trouble in #2.

The fact is, we can find some flaws in Big trouble, in Little china. some of the fx are weak. like the rocks hitting his head. poor foam fx. Miao Yin, Wangs fiancee should have had a bit more screen time and presence. the orangutan.. why?

Juvarisx

Florida
Dune as in Lynch's? Thats more Jay's area and why would they do one a good movie ( the new one)? It wont be as interesting to talk about like the Titanic one which was more about James Cameron and the time of filming as CGI became a thing.

I think it is the last we will see of Plinkett for awhile. I honestly believe Last Jedi was meant to be the last one but lockdown afforded Mike to do Picard which felt like he did alone other then the art from their comic friend. Everyone got too spoiled with the new Star Wars trilogy, there was a time it was 4 years between Plinket reviews and "WHEN IS THE NEXT PLINKET REVIEW was the hot meme on the old RLM message boards (god those were the days). I still miss the "where is the episode 3 review" stuff but its all fun

If they ever do another I hope its something dumb like Baby's Day Out or Cop Dog again.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Caliane

Dune as in Lynch's? Thats more Jay's area and why would they do one a good movie ( the new one)? It wont be as interesting to talk about like the Titanic one which was more about James Cameron and the time of filming as CGI became a thing.

I think it is the last we will see of Plinkett for awhile. I honestly believe Last Jedi was meant to be the last one but lockdown afforded Mike to do Picard which felt like he did alone other then the art from their comic friend. Everyone got too spoiled with the new Star Wars trilogy, there was a time it was 4 years between Plinket reviews and "WHEN IS THE NEXT PLINKET REVIEW was the hot meme on the old RLM message boards (god those were the days). I still miss the "where is the episode 3 review" stuff but its all fun

If they ever do another I hope its something dumb like Baby's Day Out or Cop Dog again.
no. the brand new Villeneuve one. along the lines they are mostly... but not exclusively space operas.
But I suppose we didn't get one for blade runner or anything either.

So, its mostly just written by Mike, and his nostalgia. which was more mainstream. starwars, treck.. ghostbusters. so yeah along those lines, probably no more plinkett. or maybe the new ghostbusters will bring him out.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
there is a fairly obvious flaw in The Thing. at least with me. too many fucking people to remember. i remember first watching it as a kid and getting wifred brimley mixed up with the doctor who loses his arms in the alien's mouth.
also the scenes where they are checking everyone's blood. i wasnt sure which was which. i was a little kid, but i remember having a tough time. its not a big flaw, but it always stuck out to me as shit who were they looking for and who did that gear belong to?

i also never thought of Kurt Russell as the sidekick in "Big Trouble", he has the best lines, an awesome truck, the hottest chick and he kills David Lopan in the end. he sits out the one big fight, but so what? he was playuing the everyman, there was so much exposition they needed to explain why things were happening, he had to be an outsider. its like saying Harry Potter was a sidekick in his movies because he had never heard of wizards, and the wizarding world and Hogwarts and Voldemort. my favorite film is easily Christine. i saw it so many times and loved watching it all those times. first car i ever owned that i wanted to own and not just a car to learn how to drive on was a Plymouth Fury. i thought that the movie and book was the coolest shit ever. The Thing is my #2, with a tossup between Big Trouble, They Live, Halloween and The Fog.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
  • 1Direct to DVD
Reactions: 2 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
there is a fairly obvious flaw in The Thing. at least with me. too many fucking people to remember. i remember first watching it as a kid and getting wifred brimley mixed up with the doctor who loses his arms in the alien's mouth.
Not being able to tell two people apart because you were 5 doesn't really fall under the "fairly obvious flaw" category.

• 5Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Loved Big Trouble and I watched it at least a dozen times as a teenager. I always read Kurt Russell's character as an average joe with his hart in the right place who's sometimes trying to portray himself as a bit more of a badass than he really is, which are the things that get him into trouble (shooting into the ceiling, running his mouth etc).

I hadn't seen any of his other films so I didn't go in there expecting Kurt Russell's character to be a certain way, I can see how it would feel kind of off if you go in there expecting an 80's Stallone/Schwarzenegger character.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Mike was a real fucking asshole for editing in all that footage of Grandma Jamie Lee Curtis shilling for this turkey. We made this movie before Black Lives Matter and there's all this social relevance in the film! Black Lives Matter!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Mike was a real fucking asshole for editing in all that footage of Grandma Jamie Lee Curtis shilling for this turkey. We made this movie before Black Lives Matter and there's all this social relevance in the film! Black Lives Matter!
i havent watched this yet, but Mike and Rich have always been assholes. Jay seems to be the "nice" one. their assholeness is what gives their comedy an edge.

• 1Great Review

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
ok, after seeing this, yeah it was a shitty review, but it was a shitty movie so it makes sense. maybe Mike and Jay are saving the good stuff for their Halloween BOTW.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
To be clear, the guys have gone after press material before (cough*Captain Marvel* cough), but mostly when the movie is so mediocre or bad I think _they_ are looking for answers on why.

But when it comes to savagery, I'm not sure anything tops the American Ultra review.