The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Watching Wil Wheaton ballwash this series is the funniest shit ever.

I almost broke down and watched this a few weeks ago, so glad I didn't. The RLM recap is more than enough thank you.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
To be clear, hack frauds ruining our (in many cases, no more than glorified toy commercial) past isn't anything new, but the level of anti-nostalgia we've been building up is pretty impressive:

Star Trek: Basically dead.
Transformers: Michael Bay put this in a grave a decade and a half ago.
Doctor Who: Honestly, this hurts worse, as the early revival was relatively decent, only to be ruined by modern politics.
Indiana Jones: As RLM also pointed out, if the script can't say Communists are bad guys, then who is the villain of the movie? Answer: terrible CGI, nonsensical action scenes, and 'member berries.
Marvel: The slide has started, and to be honest, if everything Marvel had ended when Cap hit Thanos with Mjolnir, I think I would be fine with it.
Terminator: I have a soft spot for Salvation (it's not good, but at least different), and I didn't even bother to see Dark Fate.
Jurassic Park: We can paint targets with lasers and have dinosaurs eat them!
Ghostbusters: To be fair, even Ghostbusters 2 is bad.
Star Wars: Since 1980... parts of The Mandalorian are pretty good? We all realize 1980 (or 83, if you are being generous) is nearly two generations ago, right?

So the only thing that has made it unscathed out of my childhood... is fucking Battlestar Galactica?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
It's basically them getting paid to watch the show because they wouldn't watch it if they weren't going to do Youtube vids about it and get paid for it.

I'm not watching it unless you pay me what they're making off of watching it, now that they've set the bar.

I think you underestimate Mike's fandom. Rich probably only tolerates it because him and Mike have been friends since childhood.

Star Wars: Since 1980... parts of The Mandalorian are pretty good? We all realize 1980 (or 83, if you are being generous) is nearly two generations ago, right?

The animated shows have been good. Well, most of them. Never watched Resistance because I hate anything sequel trilogy. The Clone Wars and Rebels (Bad Batch TBD, first season was alright) are probably the best Star Wars has had to offer since the original trilogy. Also Rogue One if you want the nostalgia memberberries, I liked it even if the story being told was pointless because you know how the story continues plus all the characters were throwaways.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Mike’s speech at the end (not the parody one) was fucking depressing and pretty much encapsulates how I’ve felt about so many franchises these days. Damn near everything I love is truly dead or dying and being made a mockery of. It really is all so tiresome.
And it's all being done on purpose!

1651546118391.png

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lol, Gavinmad Gavinmad would handle this much better.
I'm confused what my role in this is. Am I supposed to bring up that the latter seasons of BSG were so goddamn fucking awful that they reached back through time to ruin the early seasons?

Cause as a whole, BSG was fucking terrible.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm confused what my role in this is. Am I supposed to bring up that the latter seasons of BSG were so goddamn fucking awful that they reached back through time to ruin the early seasons?

Pretty much. It's like The Lost Effect, if those hacks hadn't gone on to remove all doubt of their hackery.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

are you talking "objectively terrible" or "compared to basically anything written today terrible?"

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
are you talking "objectively terrible" or "compared to basically anything written today terrible?"
Objectively terrible. The latter seasons of BSG and the ending in particular were all so bad that they more than cancel out how good the first few seasons were.

• 2Solidarity

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
To be clear, hack frauds ruining our (in many cases, no more than glorified toy commercial) past isn't anything new, but the level of anti-nostalgia we've been building up is pretty impressive:

Doctor Who: Honestly, this hurts worse, as the early revival was relatively decent, only to be ruined by modern politics.
Indiana Jones: As RLM also pointed out, if the script can't say Communists are bad guys, then who is the villain of the movie? Answer: terrible CGI, nonsensical action scenes, and 'member berries.
Marvel: The slide has started, and to be honest, if everything Marvel had ended when Cap hit Thanos with Mjolnir, I think I would be fine with it.
Terminator: I have a soft spot for Salvation (it's not good, but at least different), and I didn't even bother to see Dark Fate.

So the only thing that has made it unscathed out of my childhood... is fucking Battlestar Galactica?
They will never remake Married with Children so we have that going for us.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Objectively terrible. The latter seasons of BSG and the ending in particular were all so bad that they more than cancel out how good the first few seasons were.

Talking about the newer one? There were only four seasons though.

So 1-2 are the only good seasons?

BSG (new) has been on my watch-shortlist since like 2012, but I couldn't justify watching it before I finished oldschool Trek and I still had DS9 to go. So I just never got to BSG.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You can stop watching after S3 ep 4 or 5 as those first few episodes are good. Its after that the series starts being written by crackheads with a love for Jimmy Hendrix or Bob Dylan.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Talking about the newer one? There were only four seasons though.

BSG (new) has been on my watch-shortlist since like 2012, but I couldn't justify watching it before I finished oldschool Trek and I still had DS9 to go. So I just never got to BSG.
Two of the seasons were released in halves so it makes it easy to forget how many seasons there actually were. Unlike BP I think Season 3 is still mostly watchable, it's Season 4 that's so bad it retroactively ruins the entire show. Especially the ending.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Alien....ended in 1986. Don't care about anything that happened afterwards
Robocop, it's an unique masterpiece. There is nothing more to tell after Murphy say his name and smiles to the Old Man.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I could keep going:
Alien: Stopped after Aliens.
Robocop: I have a soft spot for Robocop 2, but I would also have been fine had this stopped at original Robocop.
Predator: I don't think Predators was bad (especially compared to modern reboots), but yeah, this could have stopped at the original.
Die Hard: I like Vengeance way more than 2, but the high point since 3... was Mac guy as sidekick?

Then again, you could argue there are exceptions:
Rambo: 4 wasn't bad... but that was almost a decade and a half ago.
Rocky: Apparently people liked Creed? I didn't see it.

But yeah, what will 2030s/2040s reboots look like?

Zero Rainbow Thirty: A multicultural non-CIS-male team time travels to stop the illegal assassination of Osama Bin Laden, a hero that tried to strike down the white male patriarchy (Pentagon) and their capitalist stranglehold on society (The World Trade Center).

Forrest Trumpf: Follows the life of Forrest Trumpf, as every one of his mistakes since birth butterfly effects into supporting the patriarchy.

Harley Patois & The Order of the Stormfront: Transgender Harley discovers her magical powers after transitioning, and learns the dark secrets Weissmort and his white cis-male capitalist cabal have used to keep the world in their thrall for centuries.

• 2Popcorn