The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Then again, you could argue there are exceptions:
Rambo: 4 wasn't bad... but that was almost a decade and a half ago.
Rocky: Apparently people liked Creed? I didn't see it.

and I think any "ruining" these did would be considered self inflicted by Stallone himself. I very much disliked Rambo Last Blood, it felt unnecessary to even exist after Rambo 4, it wasnt very good to begin with and Stallone is really starting to look old in it.

Creed is probably the 2nd to 4th best Rocky movie, in my opinion, I like it slightly more than Balboa, a probably about the same as Rocky 2. Stallone picked up the pen for Creed 2, and it is worse than Creed 1 (but still probably better than Rocky 3-5, and about equal with Balboa). Stallone should have gotten his Oscar finally for playing Rocky in Creed.

Apparently a Creed 3 is coming out, I had kinda hoped after Creed 2 they would go the Drago route, but I still have hopes for it.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Objectively terrible. The latter seasons of BSG and the ending in particular were all so bad that they more than cancel out how good the first few seasons were.
If Dean Stockwell had asked Ziggy to get him out of there instead of shooting himself all would have been forgiven

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Don't worry, Babylon 5 hasn't been tainted! So yall better get to watching/rewatching before they fuck up and remake it, in the next 3 years...

After watching all the Treks up to Enterprise and Babylon 5 in the last 5 years or so, I think Babylon 5 may have been the best SciFi TV show of all time. While seasons of the Expanse and DS9 were better, there were also seasons of each that were much worse.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I am watching all of ds9 now. Sounds like I need to try Babylon 5, never seen it.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I just can't get over how bad Babylon 5 looks.

Wish someone would remaster it and fix the terrible cgi.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just can't get over how bad Babylon 5 looks.

Wish someone would remaster it and fix the terrible cgi.
i'm with you on this. i missed it when it came out... i don't know how bad it looked when it was brand new, but going back to it is just too much.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It looked good visually when it came out. At least that's what my memory is telling me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

it was astounding. it broke records/got awards. Pioneered the technology.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
There is a cleaned up version on HBO max. Still dated cgi. But you can't beat that story telling Babylon 5 shits all over ds9. And I fucking love ds9

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My first viewing of B5 was in the last 5 years, and I turned around and watched it again a few years later. The shit CGI was also a major hurdle, but I was able to power through it and thoroughly enjoy the show (just got used to it, after a while, and it wasn't as bad).

I keep hoping that some fan with the skill level of the Warhammer 40k Astartes guy (Syama Pedersen) picks up B5 and decides he can do the show justice with shinny new gfx.

Last edited:

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I am watching all of ds9 now. Sounds like I need to try Babylon 5, never seen it.
First season isn't that great. But it sets up some later seasons and you should just slog through. After S1 it becomes really good. I was suprised how well written some characters are and how the different big conflicts are more than just good vs evil.

Chris

Potato del Grande
And it's all being done on purpose!

View attachment 410677
Not even a conspiracy theory, it's true.

An anti-SJW comics reviewer on YouTube called "Comics Matter" goes through all this stuff. He is a former marine and described it as capturing critical points of infrastructure.

In Afghanistan maybe that's a power station or water reservoir, in our culture it's these IPs which inspire and teach children. It's also why schools are a target in the US.

We have to fight a guerilla war against it, for example anti-SJW comics artists and authors are now self publishing and the best are making millions. What that looks like for sci-fi/fantasy TV and movies I don't know.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Babylon 5's CGI was done on consumer level hardware (a Commodore Amiga with a NewTek Video Toaster card) in the early 90s so it's not surprising they don't hold up. This was actually fairly big news in the computer enthusiast market at the time because it showed that consumer level machines were becoming good enough to do "real" TV shows. The Amiga + Video Toaster hardware was around $5,000 and could do things that would have required a specialized 6-figure machine five years earlier. It also let them use many more effects shots per show than they otherwise could have, since they could now be made in a computer rather than with models.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Trigger GIF by MOODMAN

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users