The Righteous Gemstones

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I had never heard of Danny McBride before Gemstones. Enjoyed it so much I went back and watched Vice Principals. GREAT show. I am officially a Danny McBride fanboy.

• 2Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I had never heard of Danny McBride before Gemstones. Enjoyed it so much I went back and watched Vice Principals. GREAT show. I am officially a Danny McBride fanboy.

I don't understand how not knowing who he is is even possible. Ya gotta go watch Eastbound and down asap.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
East Bound and Down is his best work by miles.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Eastbound and Down is teriffic, you can also watch the film "This is the End" for more McBride. And his early movie "Foot Fist Way" but he was yet to really develop his persona in that, and let's face it he plays the same character in everything

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Eastbound and Down is my least favorite of his three HBO shows. For me its Gemstones > Vice Principals > Eastbound

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Eastbound and Down is my least favorite of his three HBO shows. For me its Gemstones > Vice Principals > Eastbound

Kenny fuckin' Powers is a legendary character. While you can maybe make an argument that the show as a whole wasn't amazing (S2 and S4 suffered a bit), that character is fucking amazing.

"Just a man with a mind for victory, and an arm like a fucking cannon. But sometimes when you bring the thunder, you get lost in the storm...

With a true champion face to face with his darkest hour, he will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for pussies.
And my ass ain’t no pussy. My ass is a fucking champion."

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kenny fuckin' Powers is a legendary character. While you can maybe make an argument that the show as a whole wasn't amazing (S2 and S4 suffered a bit), that character is fucking amazing.

"Just a man with a mind for victory, and an arm like a fucking cannon. But sometimes when you bring the thunder, you get lost in the storm...

With a true champion face to face with his darkest hour, he will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for pussies.
And my ass ain’t no pussy. My ass is a fucking champion."

For me it just got old.

His Gemstones character is somewhere between Kenny Powers and Gamby, probably more on the Kenny Powers side. Gemstones has the advantage of more main characters, so its not just con artist Kenny Powers the entire time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
For me it just got old.

I get that. Show probably should've ended after Season 3. S4 was a big oof and very few funny lines outside of him shitting on people on the sports show.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Stevie Janowski is the best character across all his shows.

7 years ago when I watched it for the first time I had some College friends down for my birthday, I had this hot housemate at the time and she came in and asked what our plans were. Can't remember what was said but I said in the perfect Stevie voice "I can feel my lil dick gettin hard already" and she ran out the room screaming.

Then later on we are in the queue for da club and there was a bit of aggro/tension with some dudes trying to jump the queue. My two friends who are in the army made sure nobody cut in front of us, I was in full on Stevie mode by this point and as the queuejumpers backed down I was all "THATS RIGHT ASSBLOOD", I'll never forget their confused expressions.

Notice how S4 of EBD ended with him moving to Africa and marrying an African woman, and S1 of RG ends in Haiti, fucking lol.

I also used to make fun of a colleagues lack of chin, hoping he would get plastic surgery on it

Best Stevie moment

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Stevie Janowski is the best character across all his shows.

Stevie is fucking amazing. I used to have a buddy who could do a perfect fucking impression of him. My favorite Stevie moment..

There's something about the way he says, "I hope you brought a lot of toilet paper, because these razor blades are going up your black asses!" that just throws me into tears every fucking time, even years later.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Stevie is fucking amazing. I used to have a buddy who could do a perfect fucking impression of him. My favorite Stevie moment..

There's something about the way he says, "I hope you brought a lot of toilet paper, because these razor blades are going up your black asses!" that just throws me into tears every fucking time, even years later.

Lol that scene reminds me of putting Gasolean by 2chainz on the office Spotify playlist

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I will watch this, but I just don't love it. I feel like I watch it hoping it will be funnier than it is, but the real reason is it is better than most shit out there.

Maybe it is unfair of me, but I would rather he just kept doing East Bound and Down.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I will watch this, but I just don't love it. I feel like I watch it hoping it will be funnier than it is, but the real reason is it is better than most shit out there.

Maybe it is unfair of me, but I would rather he just kept doing East Bound and Down.
Last season of Eastbound and Down was pretty meh. Very few laughs.

Don't get me wrong, this is nowhere close to seasons 1-3 of Eastbound, but it's still pretty great and especially in the current "woke" environment.

• 2Solidarity