The RPG Thread

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Trails of Cold Steel coming out next month for PS3/Vita is the first game in that series. It's separate from Trails in the Sky FC/SC that are on Steam/GOG.

Sadly, there's almost no chance that there will be a port of Cold Steel to PC (or even PS4). Being a PS3 game, it's a much more modern engine than Trails in the Sky, and it's pretty unlikely that Falcom will bother to port it over.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
There's no reason to get an xboner unless you like sucking dongs. Maybe pick one up for your girlfriend.

I never got around to finished Dragon Age, heh. Got to one of the last missions and I needed to grind 40 power and said "FUCK THIS SHIT". At that point I was really low and the thought of spending a bunch of hours grinding stupid crap immediately turned me off. Maybe I'll pick it up again and beat it, but it made me take a break.

With Fallout coming out next week and me buying Divinity, I'll be busy for awhile.

DA:I was definitely a good game, and I gave it a very unfair review my first time. They should have never had the hinterlands setup so shitty, as that turned me and several people off. After that the game was fine. My only other criticism is grinding for power is really fucking shitty if you aren't a completionist - I'm sure people that love to 100% the game had no problem having power throughout, but for me interested in just the story it was terrible having to stop and grind.
FYI, you can gimp most of the map "events" by adjusting the clock in you PS4 settings. Don't wait 6 hours, move the fucking clock a day forward instead! Some of the best parts of the story where the side events !

Hatorade: I own project cars, and just cant get excited about it at all, might trade it in.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Trails of Cold Steel coming out next month for PS3/Vita is the first game in that series. It's separate from Trails in the Sky FC/SC that are on Steam/GOG.

Sadly, there's almost no chance that there will be a port of Cold Steel to PC (or even PS4). Being a PS3 game, it's a much more modern engine than Trails in the Sky, and it's pretty unlikely that Falcom will bother to port it over.
Gotcha, my mistake.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Nah Carpe Fulgar was just a couple of dudes from Something Awful who translated the ports of several of those games.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
rrr_img_111461.jpg

This little gem has caused a flurry of activity over at 8chan, so I picked it up two days ago and have been pretty much playing it non-stop. It's an indie RPG developed by a very small team that has been described as "this generation's Earthbound." I can't really say whether that's accurate or not because I haven't played much of Earthbound (and what I did play of it I didn't enjoy), but if you're looking for a JRPG-esque game with a well-written story (composing of both great comedic and emotional moments), important player choices, "bullet hell" dodge mechanics, and that retro-spirte aesthetic, this game is for you.

In the world of Undertale, monsters and humans used to co-exist, until the humans declared war and sent all of the monsters deep underground, sealing them behind a great magic barrier. You play as a child who one day, while exploring in the mountains, falls down a hole into the Underground, where the monsters now live, and you have to find a way to escape.

rrr_img_111462.png

One of the cool things about this game is that battling is a bit more open-ended than in most RPGs. You don't have to kill every single enemy (or boss) that you come across, because every single enemy in the game can be "defeated" without killing them. On top of that, there are consequences for killing or sparing enemies. Do you kill a tough boss so that he can't come back later in the game to fight you again? Or do you spare him and attempt to make friends?

The game also has a habit of breaking the 4th wall and making fun of JRPGs. It's really fun and I highly recommend it.

rrr_img_111463.png
So I just finished this game. Holy shit, it's actually really good. Actually made me tear up a few times, which hasn't happened in forever. The humor, the world, the characters, the music, and even the weird ass gameplay just make this game feel like a really unique experience. If you guys haven't gotten it yet, I'd advise you do. $10 well fucking spent.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
So I just finished this game. Holy shit, it's actually really good. Actually made me tear up a few times, which hasn't happened in forever. The humor, the world, the characters, the music, and even the weird ass gameplay just make this game feel like a really unique experience. If you guys haven't gotten it yet, I'd advise you do. $10 well fucking spent.
Yeah, after having played through all of its content and secrets, it's on my list for GOTY.

I had a bad time and it was really fun!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Any JRPG recommendations for PS4? How is Tales of Zestiria?

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I'm playing zestiria right now. Story and characters are great, world feels alive, and the pacing is very good. As others have mentioned the item/upgrade system could use some work, and personally i feel the combat is too button-mashy, but those are my only complaints. 30 hours in and i would say 8/10.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Longing for a remake of The Last Remnant =/
Yeah I'd play that. I really liked the first one by by the end the game was lagging so hard and the battles took so long I never finished. I was falling asleep during battles
frown.png
Would love to play one without the performance issues, and sped up animations.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I'd play that. I really liked the first one by by the end the game was lagging so hard and the battles took so long I never finished. I was falling asleep during battles
frown.png
Would love to play one without the performance issues, and sped up animations.
Yep, game itself was amazing but plagued with a ton of fuckin issues -

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The Last Remnant was fun when you'd hit a threshold that would level up all the monsters and suddenly the dragon you need for a weapon upgrade material is HOLYFUCKRAPE.

I hated that one place with all the elevators though.

The whole thing with cycling through targets to fish for the ultimate attack combo was oddly fun. ("one guy casts weakass nuke and the other 3 melee", "what the fuck is this shit", "BLACKOUT, fuck yeah!")

And four arm dude ftw. He was doing more damage than entire groups.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Still making my way through Tales of Xillia 2 and my assessment is...interesting. It's a lot more fun than Xillia 1 and from a gameplay perspective it compares favorably to any Tales I've played. But my god what a fucking lazy game. I'd been warned about the prevalence of assets reused from the first game and was prepared for it - hell, the first game reused its own assets repeatedly.

So I didn't think anything of going through the same world with a different story. But then you fucking go through themagain. That's right, ToX2 not only reuses zones from its precursor, it reuses them a second time, albeit with a darker sheen.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Curious for suggestions, as I'm longing for a gearing up type of RPG, where I can really sink some time into. Last time I had this was Diablo 3 expansion on PS4, where me and a few friends grinded the shit outta Rifts, and things to get some pretty bad ass characters. Was a lot of fun. I really appreciate any suggestions. Some things that may help... and I realize the games I'm talking about may not all be RPGs, but might lend some insight into my likes/dislikes.

• I've put less than 2 hours into Fallout New Vegas, and Skyrim. Neither caught my eye to keep going. Maybe the open world was a turn off, and I like more of a linear game?
  • I never thought a great story could keep me going but the Last of Us made me keep playing till the very end.
  • I don't mind a grindy game, as long as their is an auto mode, or some way to make it less tedious. Bravely Default on 3DS was kind of like this, but I would like something on the Ps4.
  • Graphics aren't a huge factor, since I'm going for PS4 instead of PC, but it matters a little.
  • Played maybe 20 hours into DA:I, and even got out of the Hinterlands, but was just meh. Didn't really hate it, but didn't really like it, and so I didn't have an urge to keep going.
  • I don't mind JRPGs, but I didn't grow up with final fantasy games, and so it's all pretty new to me. Tried getting into some of the earlier FF's on mobile, but FF5 didn't catch me, and FF8 on Steam was just horrendous graphics, and so immediately I was turned off because it looked so dated.
  • Would prefer it to be not penalize for short bursts of play. With kids, often times I think I'll have 2+ hours to play, and actually get 15-30 minutes.
Wow... didn't realize I was writing a book, sorry. Just kinda at a loss. MMO's are what I've played for 15 years, but with family, etc, it's just not my thing anymore. I'd love to get into a single player RPG, but given the stupid list I just made, I'm not sure one exists I can get into. Thanks again for any suggestions or insight.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Curious for suggestions, as I'm longing for a gearing up type of RPG, where I can really sink some time into. Last time I had this was Diablo 3 expansion on PS4, where me and a few friends grinded the shit outta Rifts, and things to get some pretty bad ass characters. Was a lot of fun. I really appreciate any suggestions. Some things that may help... and I realize the games I'm talking about may not all be RPGs, but might lend some insight into my likes/dislikes.

• I've put less than 2 hours into Fallout New Vegas, and Skyrim. Neither caught my eye to keep going. Maybe the open world was a turn off, and I like more of a linear game?
  • I never thought a great story could keep me going but the Last of Us made me keep playing till the very end.
  • I don't mind a grindy game, as long as their is an auto mode, or some way to make it less tedious. Bravely Default on 3DS was kind of like this, but I would like something on the Ps4.
  • Graphics aren't a huge factor, since I'm going for PS4 instead of PC, but it matters a little.
  • Played maybe 20 hours into DA:I, and even got out of the Hinterlands, but was just meh. Didn't really hate it, but didn't really like it, and so I didn't have an urge to keep going.
  • I don't mind JRPGs, but I didn't grow up with final fantasy games, and so it's all pretty new to me. Tried getting into some of the earlier FF's on mobile, but FF5 didn't catch me, and FF8 on Steam was just horrendous graphics, and so immediately I was turned off because it looked so dated.
  • Would prefer it to be not penalize for short bursts of play. With kids, often times I think I'll have 2+ hours to play, and actually get 15-30 minutes.
Wow... didn't realize I was writing a book, sorry. Just kinda at a loss. MMO's are what I've played for 15 years, but with family, etc, it's just not my thing anymore. I'd love to get into a single player RPG, but given the stupid list I just made, I'm not sure one exists I can get into. Thanks again for any suggestions or insight.
I can't think of anything that matches your taste on the PS4, but you would probably like Dragon Quest IX on the DS. It's not too grindy (unless you want to change classes), and the grind is somewhat alleviated by special "metal slime" monsters that are difficult to kill before they run away but are essentially EXP pi?atas.

The postgame allows you to unlock special dungeons that you run through to get rare gear and fight bosses from some of the other Dragon Quest games. There's also a pretty deep crafting system. Lastly, there's local multiplayer, so you can play with a friend that also has it. The battle system is like Bravely Default's though obviously without the Brave/Default system, also there's no limit to how many classes you can multiclass (my endgame character has ten pages of skills).

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord

I'm not gonna check it against your bulleted list of preferences, butg try Dark Souls. It yanked me forcefully and permanently from MMO addiction. Before Dark Souls and after EQ, I couldn't play anything that wasn't an mmo.

Don't let its reputed difficulty dissuade you - I'm not a fan of hard games, but the type of difficulty in Dark Souls makes for an utterly addictive experience. Its non-linearity - compared at least with non-western RPG's - often results in the familiar-to-mmo-players experience of venturing into to an area where you're clearly not supposed to be, but augments it with the possibility of either a) coming back later and more powerful or b) beating the fuck out of through pure skill.

The level of character customization exceeds that of any other game I've played, and any sensible build - and by sensible I mean one that has some thought channeled into it, no google minmaxing required - is viable. Grinding is fun as fuck, too, if you wanna do it, because all enemies have drop tables that include common and rare items in addition to the xp (souls) they drop.

Compound all that with the presence of imo the most haunting atmosphere in all of gaming and you get maybe the best game ever made. If graphics are an issue, start with Bloodborne, then try the PS4 edition of Dark Souls II, then go to Dark Souls. Demon's Souls is probably borderline unplayable to new players now, on account of terrible framerate and graphics, but it's also amazing.