The RPG Thread

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Np man. I haven't used Salvator myself so let me know how she is - I just found out about her extraction perk. I think she needs to be the leader of the interrogation squad for her perk to activate, but not sure - check up on it.

Might consider getting a few more since generics have lost some of their power imo given the ease with which unique characters can learn generic evilities, whereas generics cannot learn a lot of the unique characters' evilities. Same with skills. For non-dlc characters, I only really used Killia (though I hear Usalia is quite powerful). Didn't like Seraph, Red Magnus or Christo, didn't try the others.

My break from D5 continues. Dropped Zestiria for now - will start over and play again, though - and started Xillia 2 and a little bit of Destiny. Xillia 2 is way, way better than Xillia 1. Combat appears to be the same, but the game just progresses so much faster. I'm maybe 6 hours in and already have 6 or 7 characters. The only real annoyance (aside from the graphics which I described earlier - for some reason Xillia 1 and 2 look really, really ugly on my tv) is the new debt system. The game regularly requires you to blow significant amounts of money to pay off a 20,000,000 gald debt you accrue at the begining. wtf.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So did alot of traveling over the summer broke down and bought a New 3DS, along with Bravely Default, and Xenoblade I'm guessing that the Wii Version is much better then that 3DS garbage? The screen for the 3DS is just way to damn small for a full on 3D RPG, but really enjoying Bravely Default(Think I'm about halfway thru it)

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Xenoblade is best played through the Dolphin emulator. I don't have the 3DS version myself but yeah, i can't imagine enjoying that game on a handheld. The screenshots I've seen haven't done it much justice either.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Tales is pretty interesting to me. I've played Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces F, Xillia 1 and Zestiria. The only two I loved through and through were Abyss and Vesperia (for the dozen hours I got to play it). The others are flawed as hell. The titles and battle system got me more addicted to Graces F than any other Tales, but everything else about it was shit. Xillia had a solid battle system and a better story than Graces, but I hated the lillium orb and (I think the following can be attributed TV weirdness, because nobody else seems to mention it) the graphics were bar none the ugliest I've ever seen on the PS3. I don't even mean just bad - it was straight up hard to look at at times.

edit: as for Symphonia, I just played it too late. Battle system felt dated as fuck.
Took me a little longer to finish up Zestiria, mainly docked around trying to do as much of the side shit as possible pre NG+. Think the final playtime was around 45 hours.

Anyways my final thoughts are it is a great story with good characters, voice acting, and cutscenes. But the experience as a whole is diluted by the equipment / skill / fusion system along with maybe the worst companion AI since Ni No Kuni. Part of my personal fun in these games is the equipment and gearing part, whether it means just getting the next towns +gooder version or deciding which materia to attach or using equipment to learn / unlock skills, and so forth. But the way Zestiria handles it is completely worthless for any standard playthrough. The concept is pretty easy and straightforward but the actual management is broken. I think it could have been tweaked to make it fun while going through the story, but as it is the only use is in NG+ and the Ex dungeon.

On the companions, I've pretty much decided not to even bother with the post game stuff because every battle boils down to just letting your team die and soloing the boss. They're literally retarded regardless of what Battle Strategies you set up or how you try to micro in fights. It is really unfortunate because I do like most of the battle system once I got rolling and comfortable linking combos and chaining Artes / Blasts. But any significant foe you can't rely on the computer to do anything but try and cast a 15 sec spell standing right next to the boss and getting 1 shot.

The Grade Shop is kind of disappointing too. You don't just get to spend your grade from battles. You have to use your grade in each area to level up the Lord of the Land and then convert their level to Grade to spend. There are 7 (?8) Lords, so you have to travel around to each area maxing them then convert them over.

Then there are no Devil Arms. There are unnamed weapons that you get to use in the Fusion system and is the only equipment you can take over to NG+. So if you didn't like the system to begin with you can look forward to relying on it for further progression.

tl;dr - play it through for the story, game is pretty easy overall even on Moderate, just don't invest in the post game or item progression.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Xenoblade is best played through the Dolphin emulator. I don't have the 3DS version myself but yeah, i can't imagine enjoying that game on a handheld. The screenshots I've seen haven't done it much justice either.
Anyone finish it on both wii and 3ds? Is there much difference? I need to fire up the wii and finish this game before December!

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Took me a little longer to finish up Zestiria, mainly docked around trying to do as much of the side shit as possible pre NG+. Think the final playtime was around 45 hours.

Anyways my final thoughts are it is a great story with good characters, voice acting, and cutscenes. But the experience as a whole is diluted by the equipment / skill / fusion system along with maybe the worst companion AI since Ni No Kuni. Part of my personal fun in these games is the equipment and gearing part, whether it means just getting the next towns +gooder version or deciding which materia to attach or using equipment to learn / unlock skills, and so forth. But the way Zestiria handles it is completely worthless for any standard playthrough. The concept is pretty easy and straightforward but the actual management is broken. I think it could have been tweaked to make it fun while going through the story, but as it is the only use is in NG+ and the Ex dungeon.

On the companions, I've pretty much decided not to even bother with the post game stuff because every battle boils down to just letting your team die and soloing the boss. They're literally retarded regardless of what Battle Strategies you set up or how you try to micro in fights. It is really unfortunate because I do like most of the battle system once I got rolling and comfortable linking combos and chaining Artes / Blasts. But any significant foe you can't rely on the computer to do anything but try and cast a 15 sec spell standing right next to the boss and getting 1 shot.

The Grade Shop is kind of disappointing too. You don't just get to spend your grade from battles. You have to use your grade in each area to level up the Lord of the Land and then convert their level to Grade to spend. There are 7 (?8) Lords, so you have to travel around to each area maxing them then convert them over.

Then there are no Devil Arms. There are unnamed weapons that you get to use in the Fusion system and is the only equipment you can take over to NG+. So if you didn't like the system to begin with you can look forward to relying on it for further progression.

tl;dr - play it through for the story, game is pretty easy overall even on Moderate, just don't invest in the post game or item progression.
That's a disheartening assessment because I love doing postgame stuff in Tales games. I'm holding off on the game until somebody writes a guide with an optimal strategy for postgame. I generally prefer winging that kinda stuff, but the gear system is such a chore I'm gonna wait til someone does it for me.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ok bros, I've decided I want to play games on my couch and TV so for the first time since PS2 I'm ready to buy a console. My guess is I will play primarily RPGs and a racing game here and there. Is there a vast difference in good RPG titles between PS4 and XBone?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If you are doing the Divinity: OS, Wasteland, Fallout, etc... RPGs you may want to consider a Steam Link and play all those from your couch. Even a few traditional JRPGs and such are seeing PC ports. The only real exclusive console RPG I can think of is the new Final Fantasy.

I had a longer post typed out but my phone ate it when I switched tabs, fuck Chrome.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Are you talking about rpg's like The Witcher or Jrpg's? For the former, pretty sure they're all multiplatform, though the PS4 is gonna run them a lot better. If you're talking jrpg's, the difference is simultaneously vast and minimal. The PS4 has a few, the Xbone has none (I think). Future prospects favor the PS4 (as far as I know).

I imagine the Bone is better for racing though, at least until they make a new Gran Turismo.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My completely unbiased opinion is to get a ps4. Because.

Also major Nelson.

Also bloodborne.

That is all.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Ps4 is far superior for RPGs, Xbox is better for racing due to forza, I don't think a single better racing game should push you into an Xbox, Mario kart 8 is more fun anyway imo ymmv.

Steam link is viable, I get mine on Tuesday and will report more soon.

One think to consider is what you pals play, I think the majority of this board went ps4.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Finished Tales and have been doing the (so far sub par) Alisha DLC -i rdy to sling this away now - it was a good tales but in no way do i feel the need to replay it.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ps4 is far superior for RPGs, Xbox is better for racing due to forza, I don't think a single better racing game should push you into an Xbox, Mario kart 8 is more fun anyway imo ymmv.

Steam link is viable, I get mine on Tuesday and will report more soon.

One think to consider is what you pals play, I think the majority of this board went ps4.
Project Cars is on both systems though and a racing game is no reason to buy a console.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There's no reason to get an xboner unless you like sucking dongs. Maybe pick one up for your girlfriend.

I never got around to finished Dragon Age, heh. Got to one of the last missions and I needed to grind 40 power and said "FUCK THIS SHIT". At that point I was really low and the thought of spending a bunch of hours grinding stupid crap immediately turned me off. Maybe I'll pick it up again and beat it, but it made me take a break.

With Fallout coming out next week and me buying Divinity, I'll be busy for awhile.

DA:I was definitely a good game, and I gave it a very unfair review my first time. They should have never had the hinterlands setup so shitty, as that turned me and several people off. After that the game was fine. My only other criticism is grinding for power is really fucking shitty if you aren't a completionist - I'm sure people that love to 100% the game had no problem having power throughout, but for me interested in just the story it was terrible having to stop and grind.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
There's no reason to get an xboner unless you like sucking dongs. Maybe pick one up for your girlfriend.

I never got around to finished Dragon Age, heh. Got to one of the last missions and I needed to grind 40 power and said "FUCK THIS SHIT". At that point I was really low and the thought of spending a bunch of hours grinding stupid crap immediately turned me off. Maybe I'll pick it up again and beat it, but it made me take a break.

With Fallout coming out next week and me buying Divinity, I'll be busy for awhile.

DA:I was definitely a good game, and I gave it a very unfair review my first time. They should have never had the hinterlands setup so shitty, as that turned me and several people off. After that the game was fine. My only other criticism is grinding for power is really fucking shitty if you aren't a completionist - I'm sure people that love to 100% the game had no problem having power throughout, but for me interested in just the story it was terrible having to stop and grind.
No reason to not own everything (but a wii-u) either!