The RPG Thread

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Give that one a wait dude. I hear it bombed pretty hard in Japan, may not be a good Disgaea.
Famitsu gave it a 33/40. Not sure if they're credible or not as I don't speak moonrunes, but I'll ask the NEETs over at 8ch if any of them have played it yet.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I've been playing all the mainline Final Fantasy games on my Emulation System, because the only two I ever originally finished was 4 and 6.

So far I went through:
- FF1 (Origins)
- FF7
- FF5
- FF4 (NDS version)
- FF9

I just finished 9 last week, and I haven't decided which I'll play next.
How did you like 9? I cant get in to it but I want to finish it (gamer ocd) I told my self 1 hour a week and I would be done in a year ! what was your play time?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Famitsu used to be the go to in Japan for ratings so maybe I'm wrong, and the Japs are just bored with the series.

Disgaea 4 is the best recent one, if you have a vita or a ps3, can probably pick it up on the cheap as an alternative option

Cecil Harvey_sl

shitlord
SNES
? Breath of fire 1 and 2. I never played them beyond this.
? Super Mario RPG
? Earthbound
? Secret of Evermore

PS1
? Vagrant Story
? Vandal Hearts 1 (turn based RPG)
? Parasite Eve
? Xenogears

PS2
? Persona 3 and 4. For Persona 3 I prefer the version on PSP though
? Shadow Hearts 1,Covenant, New World. Shadow Hearts: Covenant really is my favorite game of all time
? Wild Arms 3
? Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. Its broken into two games, but really meant to be played as one enormous one.
? Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

PS3- I didn?t play many RPGs in the PS3 era.
? Valkyria chronicles (turn based RPG) Another game that ranks very high for me.

Handhelds
? Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together (PSP)
? Jeanne D?Arc (PSP turn based RPG)
? Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection (PSP) Has the base game and The After Years story line in one.
? Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 (PSP turn based strategy) Both are great games, but limited by the PSP, so maps are small. You will need a translation patch for the third one
? Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (GBA Turn Based Strategy)
? Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS Turn Based Strategy)
? Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS)

Those are my suggestions of good RPGs to check out, I tried to list the less talked about games. All of them are easily played through an emulator also.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Famitsu used to be the go to in Japan for ratings so maybe I'm wrong, and the Japs are just bored with the series.

Disgaea 4 is the best recent one, if you have a vita or a ps3, can probably pick it up on the cheap as an alternative option
Nah, I only have a PS4. (It's my first Sony console too.)

One of the Anons on 8ch got back to me already aboutDisgaea 5:

I've played it; it's alright. It's my first one though, so I don't know how it compares to other games in the series. Disgaea 5 is pretty grind-y. Story is goofy fun.
I think I'm gonna pick it up. With Persona 5 being delayed until 2016, and no Bravely Second or Dark Souls 3 until April 2016 (although I'm sure DS3 will be delayed), there aren't many RPGs coming out in the near future. WemightseeDragon Quest VIIIon the 3DS before 2016, but I don't think it's super likely.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Handhelds
? Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together (PSP)
? Jeanne D?Arc (PSP turn based RPG)
? Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection (PSP) Has the base game and The After Years story line in one.
? Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 (PSP turn based strategy) Both are great games, but limited by the PSP, so maps are small. You will need a translation patch for the third one
? Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (GBA Turn Based Strategy)
? Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS Turn Based Strategy)
? Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS)

Those are my suggestions of good RPGs to check out, I tried to list the less talked about games. All of them are easily played through an emulator also.
I also highly recommendFinal Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the RiftandMario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
All the Disgaea's are super grindy. That's one of their biggest draws, though. You can practically play them forever, and get to the point that you're dealing like 999,999,999 damage in a single attack and shit.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I'm also playing The Last Story noodle, I'm about halfway through.

Just finished up Xenoblade chronicles, next on my list is Witcher 3, which I should be getting near the end of by the time the DLC comes out.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I finished Xillia about a month ago - pretty good, but there's not really any post-game shit to do minus one really annoying dungeon.

Going through Disgaea 4 right now and it's become a pretty familiar experience - utter addiction until I beat the game and for about 20 hrs after, then the magnitude of the grind sets in and I gradually lose interest.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Nah, I only have a PS4. (It's my first Sony console too.)

One of the Anons on 8ch got back to me already aboutDisgaea 5:

I think I'm gonna pick it up. With Persona 5 being delayed until 2016, and no Bravely Second or Dark Souls 3 until April 2016 (although I'm sure DS3 will be delayed), there aren't many RPGs coming out in the near future. WemightseeDragon Quest VIIIon the 3DS before 2016, but I don't think it's super likely.
Doesn't Dragon Quest Heroes come out on PS4 in Oct?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Doesn't Dragon Quest Heroes come out on PS4 in Oct?
Yes, but it's not a real RPG. Also, Hyrule Warriors was profoundly mediocre. I actually got some hands-on time with Dragon Quest Heroes while at E3, and while it certainly seemed more fun for the twenty or so minutes I got to play it, I'm still very skeptical to pick it up just because of how average Hyrule Warriors was.

Speaking of E3, I almost forgot,Legend of Legacyreleases on 3DS in October this year as well. I got hands-on time with this game as well and it interested me greatly. Its art direction is likeBravely Default, but with a pop-up book theme, and the combat seems interesting, like a hybrid of standard JRPG combat and MMORPG holy trinities. I will absolutely be picking it up when it comes out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm also playing The Last Story noodle, I'm about halfway through.

Just finished up Xenoblade chronicles, next on my list is Witcher 3, which I should be getting near the end of by the time the DLC comes out.
How did you like xenoblade? Heard the main story is like 100 hours

I'll probably start putting a release date list in the op

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Oh I did not realize it was a DW clone.

Thanks, I was about to preorder as I have a major RPG itch atm and Dragon Warrior was my first RPG and changed EVERYTHING.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Almost forgotDisgaea 5releases in NA on October 6th. I'll probably pick it up since I've heard it plays a lot likeTactics. (I've never played a Disgaea game.)
Disgaea games are awesome and they get better with every new one (less class limitations as far as grinding and stuff due to lack of aoe attacks). I'm definitely looking forward to 5.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Oh I did not realize it was a DW clone.

Thanks, I was about to preorder as I have a major RPG itch atm and Dragon Warrior was my first RPG and changed EVERYTHING.
Iwishit was a Dynasty Warriors clone. I lovedDynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legendsand put like 200 hours on it.Hyrule Warriorsis basically, "Yeah we took the basic premise of a DW game (run around killing hordes of enemies with combos) but took out all of the things that make it DW (actual strategy, bodyguards, time-based objectives for different endings, voice acting) and gave it some Zelda mechanics (use and swap between different sub items on the battlefield, fight boss monsters) that sound cool but in reality are very tedious and boring. At least you can play as Midna.

Dragon Quest Warriorsat least has better mechanics. The one boss battle I did was more fun than any of the ones in Hyrule Warriors, and there was no sub-item bullcrap, also you have bodyguards and you can actually switch between playing yourself or one of your bodyguards while in mid-battle. However, characters have MP which is consumed by some of their attacks in their combos, which is weird.

Disgaea games are awesome and they get better with every new one (less class limitations as far as grinding and stuff due to lack of aoe attacks). I'm definitely looking forward to 5.
Sweet, good to hear.

There is a dragon Quest rpg coming out but I'm not sure when
Uhh, DQXI is in development for PS4, 3DS, and NX at the moment with a projected release date of 2016, but they have no plans to bring it to NA/EU. If you need a DQ fix and haven't played IX yet, you should absolutely play IX. The story is weaker than the other DQ games but the party customization and endgame dungeons and bosses are fantastic.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Some great ones on PSP or PSP emulator if you don't want to mess with finding a working PSP.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
How did you like xenoblade?
I have tried my best to get into that damn game and there's just so much piddling bullshit to do, and I really do mean piddling bullshit, to do that I always get burned out about the time you leave the first town after like 10-15 hours of play.

I'm certain there's an amazing game in there somewhere, but it is covered up in so many go here do that bullshit fetch quests that I've never found it.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
How did you like 9? I cant get in to it but I want to finish it (gamer ocd) I told my self 1 hour a week and I would be done in a year ! what was your play time?
FF9 is one of the most solid entries in the franchise. I would put it second only to 6. It has both a great protagonist and a great antagonist. The combat is really well rounded and is only dwarfed by FF5's combat system(thanks to FF5 having classes). The item design is fun and it makes the magic system way more interesting. The soundtrack is awesome much like any Final Fantasy before FF12. It's just a great game that has aged very well.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Xenoblade is a dumbed-down, inferior-in-every-way knock off of FF XII crossed with godawful MMO-style questing and some of the worst voice acting in history.

I've tried really hard to get into Disgaea but the "humor" ruins it for me, and there's few things I hate more than writing that breaks the fourth wall. If you can get past all that, the game systems and tactical combat are pretty interesting.

PS3- I didn't play many RPGs in the PS3 era.
Resonance of Fate was far and away the best JRPG of last gen imo, anyone who didn't play it really missed out.

I finished Xillia about a month ago - pretty good, but there's not really any post-game shit to do minus one really annoying dungeon.
You know there's a whole second game, right?