The RPG Thread

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I've tried really hard to get into Disgaea but the "humor" ruins it for me, and there's few things I hate more than writing that breaks the fourth wall. If you can get past all that, the game systems and tactical combat are pretty interesting.
Fair enough. I actually like the humor and whatnot in the Disgaea games so that falls on the + side for the games for me.

I like a lot of anime humor too but my brother can't stand it and just thinks it's wierd.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Almost forgotDisgaea 5releases in NA on October 6th. I'll probably pick it up since I've heard it plays a lot likeTactics. (I've never played a Disgaea game.)
I like you my friend but if you ever speak poorly about the holy trinity that is Disgaea I will hunt you down and do terrible things!!

If you want you can go play D2 Disgaea which has a lot of quality of life improvements and was a solid game. Disgaea series is still probably my all time series by a far margin. Only FFT ranks up in individual games. 1,000's of hours spent on the D-series.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I like you my friend but if you ever speak poorly about the holy trinity that is Disgaea I will hunt you down and do terrible things!!

If you want you can go play D2 Disgaea which has a lot of quality of life improvements and was a solid game. Disgaea series is still probably my all time series by a far margin. Only FFT ranks up in individual games. 1,000's of hours spent on the D-series.
Chill out,

dood.
:^)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have 3 or 4 for ps3, can't remember. It's good but I got annoyed as fuck when I lost a key battle and the story started over. I wasn't even that far but it pissed me off.

xrg

Golden Squire
How did you like 9? I cant get in to it but I want to finish it (gamer ocd) I told my self 1 hour a week and I would be done in a year ! what was your play time?
I like it a lot more than I thought I would, but I can see why some people don't.

For me it didn't really pick up until you start running into the Black Waltz guys. Around that point the character development ramps up and most of the cast is surprisingly charming and well written for a Final Fantasy game. Unfortunately, around Disc 3, all the interesting ATEs and character development stops, and you're left with a fairly uninteresting plot trying to carry it to the end. I think if it didn't bottom out so severely around Disc 3 it'd be a strong contender for my favorite of the entire series. It has a lot of the kind of humor I like. Great scenes like Eiko cooking with Moogles, love letter winding up in the wrong people's hands, Zidane grabbing Dagger's ass, Quina seeing Cid as a frog. I also like the quirky Wizard of Oz art style it has. It makes things like Moogles not look so out of place.

Anyway, my save has 65 hours, but I did everything in the game except collect rare cards. I did some grinding at points too (which turned out to be completely unnecessary). You can only get Exalibur if you have under 12 hours played toward the end of the game -- so its possible to get through it pretty quickly if you wanted to.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Xenoblade Chronicles was good imo. Yeah there's a lot of fetch quests, but they're all very very quick: like go kill 4 things. go bring back 5 things. go here and kill one monster.

I'm a fiend for disgaea games, i've played them all multiple times. D: D2 is solid, and I've been watching streams of D5 and it looks fine to me, but GOOOOOOOOD do they fucking nickel and dime you on shitty DLC.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
but GOOOOOOOOD do they fucking nickel and dime you on shitty DLC.
Its not nickle and diming anymore when the DLC costs 3 and 4 times the base cost of the game. Its flat out highway robbery at that point.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Picked up the third Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth game on the PSN flash sale for $16. I got the 2nd for for like $12 a couple flash sales ago...still playing through the first one.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The Last Story has me hooked.

The animations are a little weird, and graphics are just ok (It's on the Wii) - but the story is great so far. Very reminiscent of Phantasy Star III in the beginning. My only real issue is the scenes are very chopped up - like, talk to this guy for a 1 minute cutscene, ok let's go, walk 3 feet, another cutscene, walk 3 feet you zone into a new room, maybe another cutscene, walk into another zone, ok now we can battle, but wait we need a pre-battle cutscene.

Maybe that aspect will get better since they're still holding my hands in battle 3 hours in.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
When you mentioned Last Story, made me think of:

Listened to this shit for hours and hours napping or studying, lol.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Funny you mention that. For my son we've been playing this 10 hour loop when he gets cranky, puts him right out. Also it's an incredible song by Nobuo as well:

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I picked up Grandia 2 on steam, shit is so fucking fun to play again. I cannot WAIT for Persona 5, Star Ocean 5, etc etc. I need my JRPG fix, it's been way too long. I love Hyperdimension Neptunia too, but at the same time I neeed a break from IF! games. I've played wayyyyyyyyyy too many of them recently.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I picked up Grandia 2 on steam, shit is so fucking fun to play again. I cannot WAIT for Persona 5, Star Ocean 5, etc etc. I need my JRPG fix, it's been way too long. I love Hyperdimension Neptunia too, but at the same time I neeed a break from IF! games. I've played wayyyyyyyyyy too many of them recently.
I actually really like !IF games, not for everyone but definitely change things up abit game to game but keep the general formula together. Cross Edge (?) was one of the best games I've ever played, fast action but some insane hard battles post game. So many different options as well.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The DS/3DS have a lot of great RPGs on them, and I've been plowing through some old favorites again. The Etrian Odyssey series is spectacular in my opinion, especially with the 3DS "remakes" of the first two games that also contain a more story-centric mode. They are theoretically difficult when you first get into them, because it is incredibly rare for a modern game to have very high chances of killing you in the first couple of fights you get into in the game, whereas an unlucky RNG can destroy new party. Not to mention status ailments actually do stuff in those games, and are basically key to beating many of the harder fights. I highly recommend them if you haven't run through them yet. The first two games were rebranded and rebuilt for the 3DS and are Millenium Girl/Knight of Fafnir, then Etrian Odyssey 4. Etrian Odyssey 3 is still DS only but is imo one of the cooler games, especially as you get further into the dungeons/story.

Also, if you haven't played The Last Remnant (360/PC) you owe it to yourself to do so. One of the most underrated games of last gen, and it ends up being a pretty enjoyable story on top of progressively more intricate combat tactics.

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 for the PS were pretty solid as well, and I'd say that 3 is probably the best game in the entire series. The 5th game, Dragon Quarter, wasn't nearly as interesting or entertaining imo.

Games I'm waiting most for are Persona 5 and FFXV, like many others here. I really should sit down and plow through Personas 1 and 2 (have the roms) but they are almost too archaic at this point, especially compared to 3 and 4.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nah, I only have a PS4. (It's my first Sony console too.)

One of the Anons on 8ch got back to me already aboutDisgaea 5:

I think I'm gonna pick it up. With Persona 5 being delayed until 2016, and no Bravely Second or Dark Souls 3 until April 2016 (although I'm sure DS3 will be delayed), there aren't many RPGs coming out in the near future. WemightseeDragon Quest VIIIon the 3DS before 2016, but I don't think it's super likely.
Disgaea games are only grindy if you want to. You can go through the main story and be done with the game of you want. The beauty of Disgaea games is they just allow you to keep going with extra shit for hundreds of hours worth of grind content if you want. I usually put in 50-150 hours on each one before I get bored with it. Then do it again in a couple years when the next one releases.

Will definitely be grabbing 5. I know what I will be getting for my money with this series.

Siliconemelons

I like it a lot more than I thought I would, but I can see why some people don't.

For me it didn't really pick up until you start running into the Black Waltz guys. Around that point the character development ramps up and most of the cast is surprisingly charming and well written for a Final Fantasy game. Unfortunately, around Disc 3, all the interesting ATEs and character development stops, and you're left with a fairly uninteresting plot trying to carry it to the end. I think if it didn't bottom out so severely around Disc 3 it'd be a strong contender for my favorite of the entire series. It has a lot of the kind of humor I like. Great scenes like Eiko cooking with Moogles, love letter winding up in the wrong people's hands, Zidane grabbing Dagger's ass, Quina seeing Cid as a frog. I also like the quirky Wizard of Oz art style it has. It makes things like Moogles not look so out of place.

Anyway, my save has 65 hours, but I did everything in the game except collect rare cards. I did some grinding at points too (which turned out to be completely unnecessary). You can only get Exalibur if you have under 12 hours played toward the end of the game -- so its possible to get through it pretty quickly if you wanted to.
9 was one of the only games next to 6 where the bad guys actually kill/massacre and destroy large scale and are more than a theoretical threat to the planet etc. The scene in 9 where your party stands there watching helplessly again as bahumut up and destroys an entire civilization (that you just interacted with and got to know and feel for some) your just like "fffffuuuu"

9 is hard to get into and sadly does just kinda let you wonder into the end after the build up- but IMO it as a whole is a lot better than many of the other FF offerings- especially the one it followed.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Those Disgaea 5 reviews are really solid. I know it's not exactly a jrpg, but this series almost always scoring 80+ on metacritic is pretty remarkable, what with western critics' hostility to the genre as a whole.

The original Shadow Hearts is what finally convinced me to ignore reviews at least sometimes. IGN gave it like a 5.