The RPG Thread

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The Ogre didn't give me any trouble because I've had tons of practice on killing those from the 2 that are down below the Cardinal tower bonfire near the Fire longsword. Trust me, I had tons of trouble with them at first! Lol
The ogre is the thing in the forest that you said you killed repeatedly for 1000 souls a pop to level up early on. Those are ogres (same as the thing at the very beginning guarding an item).

What you're referring to are just those weird turtle mace-wielding dudes. Dunno what they're called, but they're not ogres!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The ogre is the thing in the forest that you said you killed repeatedly for 1000 souls a pop to level up early on. Those are ogres (same as the thing at the very beginning guarding an item).

What you're referring to are just those weird turtle mace-wielding dudes. Dunno what they're called, but they're not ogres!
Ohhhh! Ok! That ogre did give some trouble as a melee, until I had the fire sword. Mage killed him right away. He doesn't spawn for me anymore. It seems there's some kind of anti farm mechanic in game.

I'm rocking in Heide's tower of flame now! The anti farm thing has made it easier. I was dieing a lot, but eventually, the guys would quit spawning, letting me get further and further. Always was able to recover my body/souls.

So then I'm like why not try the boss! Bam, 2nd attempt he goes down. So first boss dead, the Dragonrider! And the ring of binding is in a different spot! It's right outside the Dragonrider boss, and not past the draw bridge. No idea how I'm gonna beat that dragon but I can't wait!

So now a little dilemma. I have 22k souls and not sure which way to go! I'm at 20 adp, so I've got the leet iframes, haha. I've got 2 spell slots. I've got 9 dex and 10 str so I can wield the fire sword and upgraded it twice. My shield is a blue kite shield and is 85 percent physical block. Where to spend?

My thought is so beef up a bit, but I would love to have my spells do more damage. I can't decide!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Right, most mobs in DS2 have a 15 spawn limit, I believe. You can farm out the entire game if you choose to, and it'd only respawn if you used a bonfire ascetic, and only for the area(s) around the specific bonfire it's used at.

It's less anti-farm and more "make repeated attempts easier if necessary," rather than making you fully clear trash for your 40th attempt at a boss. For the people who are less comfortable with running past shit and ignoring it.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah, in response to the "what stats next" question, you can never wrong with HP or Stamina, at least until diminishing returns hits hard.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You'll want to keep your endurance up too, you don't want your primary stats to fall behind either. Nothing like picking up an awesome weapon and realizing you need 20 more strength to wield it. Stat points are very fast early on but they slow way down later.

I played for like an hour today, kid kept waking up. Did the chariot boss, had a bit of trouble because I was yoloing it too hard.

I have dreams of speed running dark souls 3, but I feel I am always going to be mostly terrible.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Thanks Kriptini! You are like the messiah and keep giving me good advice!
I go to great lengths to live on Earth as Jesus did. God bless.

maxresdefault.jpg

Crone

I read a guide about equipment to get as a sorcerer and it was talking about a staff that takes 20 int and 20 faith to use but it was bad ass. That still a valid item? Should I even worry about faith for just 1 piece of gear?

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Leveling faith concurrently with int will allow you to cast hex spells, some of which are very potent until you hit the DLC. Stat requirements are obscene if you're going for that and melee capability, but like I said earlier with 30 int/faith and like 40 dex I had a "caster" scythe that did really respectable damage and resulted in a decision to become a melee character that could also hex.

Crone

Just lost 11k souls, and I'm level 43 so it means quite a bit. Would have been 3-4 more levels. This makes me want to rage and quit, but at the same time I just want to keep playing and try again. Does this game make anyone else feel like this. This rage, followed by an inability to quit playing. Lol.

I think I like having the different characters. When I get mad at one, I get on another and try that out. This game is brutal without some walk through or something though. Because of how you start. If I wanted to start as a 2 hander. Or a depraved, but magic user. It's annoying as shit that the first 2 hander I found on my way to no man's wharf. Or the first sorcerer staff isn't until your past Pate? Guess that's the challenge of a depraved? There are the classes you can start off as, so there's that I guess. .. I'm mad so I'm bitching to bitch.
smile.png

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just lost 11k souls, and I'm level 43 so it means quite a bit. Would have been 3-4 more levels. This makes me want to rage and quit, but at the same time I just want to keep playing and try again. Does this game make anyone else feel like this. This rage, followed by an inability to quit playing. Lol.

I think I like having the different characters. When I get mad at one, I get on another and try that out. This game is brutal without some walk through or something though. Because of how you start. If I wanted to start as a 2 hander. Or a depraved, but magic user. It's annoying as shit that the first 2 hander I found on my way to no man's wharf. Or the first sorcerer staff isn't until your past Pate? Guess that's the challenge of a depraved? There are the classes you can start off as, so there's that I guess. .. I'm mad so I'm bitching to bitch.
smile.png
I've lost hundreds of thousands of souls at once.

There are people who have lost millions of souls at once.

Don't let it frustrate you.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I always lose a few hundred of thousand souls in every of these games over the first playthrough, never an issue. Hell I generally don't use any of the consumable souls thingies until the last boss, and that's like 300k souls or whatever. Just grind a bit if you need to hit a certain cap, but otherwise don't sweat it. In all of these games you can farm souls way more efficiently lategame than early and losing your souls early or even midgame is basically a non factor unless you're doing a speedrun or you're that guy who doesn't spend his souls when he finds a bonfire for several hours.

Crone

I should have spent them earlier. Just one of those things that I didn't expect to die to something I had killed 3 times before without trouble. Damn it!

Started up a new character, but not sure what I want to make it. I love the variety of classes you can be and I love how the knowledge of one character makes it way easier on a second.

Has anyone been successful as a bow or crossbow user? I assume high dex and you end up using dex weapons and a bow on the side? Loved the ranged capabilities as a sorcerer so was curious about bows.

Or just might go deprived and be a faith magic user seeing as nearly immediately in game they give you access to a faith caster thing...but no spells so I guess that's how it evens it out. Damn!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I should have spent them earlier. Just one of those things that I didn't expect to die to something I had killed 3 times before without trouble. Damn it!

Started up a new character, but not sure what I want to make it. I love the variety of classes you can be and I love how the knowledge of one character makes it way easier on a second.

Has anyone been successful as a bow or crossbow user? I assume high dex and you end up using dex weapons and a bow on the side? Loved the ranged capabilities as a sorcerer so was curious about bows.

Or just might go deprived and be a faith magic user seeing as nearly immediately in game they give you access to a faith caster thing...but no spells so I guess that's how it evens it out. Damn!
So when you say you lost those 11k souls, you died, then died again before you could get to your bloodstain to retrieve the 11k?

Crone

The mace dudes in tower of flame are quite possibly the most annoying shit as a melee with their laser targeting and spinning. Wtf.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Crone, I think you're way too concerned with figuring out "a build" to use. Your first priority should be actually seeing if you can beat the game once. Then you can worry about trying out all the tricky shit.

You won't even have to start a new character. There's an item you can get called the Soul Vessel that allows you to respend all of your points that you've spent. I'm not going to tell you where to get it though, because knowing you, you'll probably burn all of them on your existing character then have a new idea and start over again.

If you're having fun doing what you're doing, then by all means keep doing it, but I really think you're too worried about min/maxing instead of just playing the game.