The RPG Thread

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Bravely Second(Bravely Default sequel) is dated for EU, Feb 26th. Comes in NA a bit later apparently, no definitive date yet but they said spring so 1-2months later probably.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Started playing disgaea, what are some of the things that are helpful to do early on?

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Started Playing The Last Remnant a couple of nights ago and I have been reading about grouping, leveling up, "classes", formations, selling creatures to get shops to open up other equipment and jesus christ:

11047929.gif

And I work on three separate network IOS for a living.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Started Playing The Last Remnant a couple of nights ago and I have been reading about grouping, leveling up, "classes", formations, selling creatures to get shops to open up other equipment and jesus christ:

11047929.gif

And I work on three separate network IOS for a living.
I basically just played until I had a minor grasp on classes and developing arts and then just started over.

Selling creatures is far simpler than they make it sound on the wiki. You sell creatures to any shop and it increases whatever shops are interested in it. It doesn't matter what shop you sell to.

Unions is where most of the strategy in this game comes in to play. Some fights you want less overall unions with more characters in each (fights where enemies have high damage single target damage primarily) to give larger HP pools to absorb the single target damage. Some fights you want more overall unions with smaller character pools to lessen enemy AE damage. This is something you'll just have to see in action and observe because AE attacks don't always hit everyone in a union. Some spells have a small AE radius, some large, some are cone, etc and this is where formations come into play.

Classes are the first thing I would suggest getting a handle on. Classes work on a rank system. This means you can only change into a new class if that new class has a higher class rank than your current class. To change into a class you have to meet the class requirements as well. Take Assassin as an example:

Assassin - The Last Remnant Wiki - Characters, quests, walkthroughs, and more - Wikia

This is a rank 6 class, meaning once you change into it you cannot change into any other class unless that new class is a rank 7 class (of which there are only three, Ordainer, Warlock and Ninja). To change into Assassin your item art levels have to be higher overall than your mystic art levels, you need to have one handed skill at 15 and sword skill at 13. So to get Assassin you would need to:

1) Equip and use a 1 handed sword, making sure to use Combat Arts often and making sure your wield style is set to "one handed"
2) Have a character that has some Item Arts and make sure to use them more than you use Mystic Arts (to make it easier you can just make sure to never use Mystic Arts so you know Item Arts will always be higher until you get Assassin as your class)

The class system seems daunting at first but in reality it's very simple. Go to the wiki and look up the character you're interested in, see what abilities they can learn on PC (and when they learn them), then go to the classes page to see what suits them.

These two guides helped me when I was first starting. They aren't very good from a mastery perspective but are very good at getting you started:

The Last Remnant Class Guide for PC by Misfiring - GameFAQs
The Last Remnant Army Construction FAQ for PC by ShinesmanOW - GameFAQs

One tip that makes the game much more manageable early on. Once you have 1 or two characters who learn Vivification Herb (the Herb Item Art that resurrects a union or blacked out character) put those characters in their own separate unions and have them hang back and do nothing but heal and resurrect. Never engage. This way they never get attacked and killed and can just keep rezzing if your damage unions die.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There's a fairly new TLR guide on Steam that's really good too:Steam Community :: Guide :: TLR Normal Mode Walkthrough and Guide: Maximal Results with Minimal Effort

-----------------------------

Lightning Returns came out today for PC. The port seems very solid so far. I'm running it at stable 1080p60 in battles with all the settings turned up to "Advanced" with load times of about 3-5 seconds max. The graphics options could have been a bit more granular, but I assume there's ini-file edits I could do if I really feel the need to tweak something. About all I want is better AA at this point though.

It's $20, -10% for the first week, and you can take an additional 20% off at GMG using 20PERC-DECMBR-SVINGS voucher so it came to like $14.50 for me. It comes with all the DLC except for one useless one (Aerith), but if you want a challenge I suggest not using that stuff, at least not for the first few game-days, and especially not FFX Yuna and FFVII Cloud items. Not sure about Divine Wear/Moogle Lover/Ultimate Savior, I didn't buy that one on PS3.

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
Ni no Kuni is one of my favorite games of all time, the glaring two issues for me are that AI is absolutely pants on head retarded and Mr drippy thinks you're literally retarded throughout the entire game.
For some reason this game really stuck with me. I rarely finish RPGs, especially one with such a flawed combat system, but I felt compelled to finish this one for the story. I truly enjoyed all of the cut scenes, music, and leveling aspects of the game.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I played like 2 hours of The Last Remnant so far and I already hate Rush.
The story is bad and the cut scenes are fairly intolerable. I stopped watching the cut scenes after Royotia. I skipped everything and went to the wiki walkthrough for spoilers to get the gist of what was going on.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Finding Dark Souls 2 SOTFS pretty easy so far (haven't gone into any DLC yet). Basically just plowing through when I get time. It's amazing, you beat the game once and everything is just pretty easy for you. I do have a weird issue where occasionally if I've been pressing a bunch of buttons and then go to sprint it just doesn't work, like I need to release the circle button and then press it again. I think it's a game bug because the button works fine. Maybe I'm pressing it before I'm allowed to and it's not accepting it.

I basically plowed through the copse killing both bosses there, then I went through the earthen peak in like 20 minutes and killed the bosses there. I might've missed some items, I'm not even sure, but it's amazing how quick it was since I knew where to go. I don't get much time to play, but last night the kid fell asleep at like 7:00 and my wife was working so I got some solid hours in.

Also another annoying bug, I might've already posted about. I put my PS4 in rest mode while I was still in game, well now my in-game time says I've been playing for 85 hours. I don't even know how long I've been playing, maybe like 8 hours total. Kind of bogus that I can't even tell how long it takes me to beat the game.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If only Atlus would go back to making more than one game a decade for real consoles instead of their shitty fucking handhelds.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Considering P3 and P4 are the two best RPGs on the best RPG console ever I'm fine with their slow and steady approach

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Persona q is etrian odyssey with the persona characters and monsters and skills and shit.

Its top tier 3ds game.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
If only Atlus would go back to making more than one game a decade for real consoles instead of their shitty fucking handhelds.
I enjoy the Etrian series! But I'm weird and enjoy old school shit that's supposedly been replaced by superior modern mechanics.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
EO games aren't my personal cup of tea but I'll see if this one draws me in with the Persona environment. DS/3DS has been the go-to place for RPGs lately prior to the PC deciding it wants to revive the CRPG genre.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
To be clear, it's the handhelds that I think are shitty, not the games.
Oh, fair enough. Yeah aside from the weirdness of trying to do old-school map drawing on anything but a stylus handheld, I'd prefer not having to play a handheld as well. PC versions of those games would be right up my alley.