The RPG Thread

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At least there's Zero Time Dilemma next week. I'd be playing that before anything else released at the same time anyway since that series is one of the best to ever come out of Japan imo.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm waiting a bit, see what people say about the PC version. Getting Odin's Sphere this friday anyway so I'll be busy for a few days.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm waiting a bit, see what people say about the PC version.
It runs at native resolution and 60 fps, supports up to 16x MSAA, has borderless windowed mode, etc. Other Spike Chunsoft games (Danganronpa) have been fine too so I'm not worried.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
How is Odin Sphere? The demo seemed not very RPG like and more like a side scroller, i never played the original.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How is Odin Sphere? The demo seemed not very RPG like and more like a side scroller, i never played the original.
Yeah definitely not a RPG, but nor are Zero's Escape games imo(they're puzzle/visual novels, there's basically no RPG elements), was just mentionning it here cause that's what I'm playing.

It's very much a side scroller kinda beat'em up with RPG elements. It's kinda their style of game, like Muramasa and Dragon's Crown. If you didn't like the demo then you're not gonna like the game I would assume.

It runs at native resolution and 60 fps, supports up to 16x MSAA, has borderless windowed mode, etc. Other Spike Chunsoft games (Danganronpa) have been fine too so I'm not worried.
I still always wait on PC ports, just to see. Or on games in general, I tend to wait a day or so to hear player thoughts and what not. Exception would be betas with a bunch of streamers, demos or delayed releases like Odin's Sphere. Regardless I'm in the mood for some action game for now. I'll probably chain Zero right after, and hope I can avoid all spoilers in that time.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is there any reason Disgaea / Phantom Brave are $20 on Steam or are they simply trying to cash grab?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there any reason Disgaea / Phantom Brave are $20 on Steam or are they simply trying to cash grab?
I don't understand, were they lower before? Or are you asking why they're 20$ when they're cheaper on PSN or something? 20$ seems like a fair price for a "new" game, even if it's a port of an old game.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't understand, were they lower before? Or are you asking why they're 20$ when they're cheaper on PSN or something? 20$ seems like a fair price for a "new" game, even if it's a port of an old game.
Because its $20 for a 10 year old game? The price point is pretty stupid. I'm sure people will buy it since those NIS games are pretty heavily romanticized on the internet and people who never played or could never find the games (Disgaea especially) will probably buy it just off word of mouth.

I really just wanted to know if they added additional content in the PC ports since $20 seemed really high for a PS2 game

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Because its $20 for a 10 year old game? The price point is pretty stupid. I'm sure people will buy it since those NIS games are pretty heavily romanticized on the internet and people who never played or could never find the games (Disgaea especially) will probably buy it just off word of mouth.

I really just wanted to know if they added additional content in the PC ports since $20 seemed really high for a PS2 game
I think they are relatively new re-releases

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I Am Setsuna to me looks like it was made in RPG maker. Maybe it will be great but it does not look good.

Chrono Trigger's graphical style had a lot of charm that this is missing.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah if the option ever includes "on PC" I'm going to opt for the PC version 100% of the time. Even if I have to wait a couple of months.

Siliconemelons

I Am Setsuna to me looks like it was made in RPG maker. Maybe it will be great but it does not look good.

Chrono Trigger's graphical style had a lot of charm that this is missing.
Nah, those are what all the iPhone RPGs are made on - and I actually bought Asdivine Dios or whatever and its not that bad of a game, its very tropy anime but in terms of visual and system its quite nice for a portable.

this looks more polished but very close to a HD look of what we got in Bravely Default.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
At least there's Zero Time Dilemma next week. I'd be playing that before anything else released at the same time anyway since that series is one of the best to ever come out of Japan imo.
I just finished the 1st one on the DS Emu, it looks like Citra runs VLR? First one was good but jesus christ without the option of fast scrolling or instant text display. I almost went insane.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I just finished the 1st one on the DS Emu, it looks like Citra runs VLR? First one was good but jesus christ without the option of fast scrolling or instant text display. I almost went insane.
There was fast forwarding or whatever, just not through the puzzles. I don't know if Citra's at a point where it actually runs anything well enough yet, so you might be out of luck for VLR, unless you want to spend some money. Can get a PSTV with the game on vita for not too much, cheaper than a 3DS+the game at least. You'd need a PS3/4 gamepad to play it too though.