The RPG Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Definitely interested to see how I am Setsuna gets reviewed. I could really use a classic RPG right about now

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Japanese impressions were also not very kind to Setsuna from what I hear. Of course West views things differently so not all hope is lost!

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Oh that is really sad if true. Damn.
It doesn't look good, but on reflection the news might not be terrible for a few reasons. First, I'm not following the game at all - a few really negative anecdotes have stuck with me is all. And second, I've only really heard anything about it on the jrpg reddit, and the subscribers have been masturbating for two decades now, what with Chrono Trigger being released and Chrono Trigger having, uhh, continued to remain released for 20+ years now. They'renotgoing to favorably compare something that invites comparison to Chrono Trigger.

So who knows, it could be really good. That subreddit doesn't seem to like it, though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Setsuna cannot possibly be worse than SO5, so even if it's just a palate cleanser after that shit sandwich I'm ok with it.

I've only read a couple reviews and they were mostly positive. People taking the Chrono Trigger comparisons literally will surely be disappointed, but that's retarded anyway. It's a 20-25 hour 'budget' JRPG that SE most likely made to see if the people who claim that games like Bravely Default are worth bringing to real consoles/PCs are right.

I still can't decide if I want it on Steam or PS4 though. Leaning towards the latter since the price is the same and I don't see how there'd be any difference at all between the two platforms.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Played it for an hour and a half. Nothing much to go on so far other than

Graphics - Seem ok for what it is. Stylized. @Vorph, highly doubt there will be anything different with the PC port with the exception of things like faster loading times. Not long, but 2-5 seconds when entering houses /areas which might be faster on a PC/SSD.

Music - Good so far. Comes with a sound track (not sure if the non-pre order version does). You start off with the option to turn on voices, all it does so far is to add some Japanese vocals in combat.

Combat - Seems similar to Chrono Trigger. Combo abilities, and you get X strike right away. Hit multiple enemies with regular attacks as well when targeting the right mobs. Random stat boosts that can happen (30 sec boost to magical abilities and the likes). You have a SP system that goes up to 3, charges as you fight/attack/get hit. You can activate that when using attacks/skills for added damage effects.

Also get some messages like "exact kill" "shadow kill" "fire kill" etc, but not sure what all the messages mean yet. They seem to spam up when killing an enemy with a SP kill. I think you get added loot from it, and the counter reduces between fights, so might as well use it constantly.

Seems ok so far, but impossible to judge a jrpg this early.

Vorph

I ended up getting it for PS4, but if anyone else is on the fence it's worth noting that GMG finally added it to their catalog. They don't do vouchers anymore so the price should just be $32 when you log in.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really loved this thread on RR.

Playing FFIX on steam. Gameplay holds up really well, but only on 3xff. Otherwise battles are slow as fuck.

Vorph

GameFly hooked me up with Fairy Fencer remaster for PS4. Not much different from the original so far, but I've heard they mostly fixed the mid/end game stuff, which is what bored me when I played it before. It's a decent RPG if you like Compile Heart stuff, but the mechanics are kind of dated if you're used to, say, Neptunia V-II. It sucks a lot less than SO5 though, so there's that.

Also, this game has the worst music ever. No exaggeration.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was thinking of picking that up, but I need to clear some of the backlog first, and september alone has three jrpg releases I badly want.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Was thinking about Fairy Fencer. Looked jrpgish from the trailer I saw, never played any game from this developer before I think. OTher than a few minutes of some Neptunia game I bought on the last Steam sale.

Vorph

The combat is on par with Neptunia ReBirth1, and they've made tons of improvements since then, but as far as I can tell the remaster only prettied up the graphics a bit and added a lot of new content. If you haven't played Neptunia V-II yet, you might not notice how dated it seems. Even so, I think it's worth one playthrough at least (the game reallllllly wants you to play through it multiple times) because I like Compile Heart games, but I think they're insane to charge the full $60 for it. Plus there's a whole bunch of day 1 DLC, of course. GameFly it or wait for at least a 50% off sale, imo. Should also be a PC version of it before too long.

Note that a bunch of the DLC is free and you should grab all that stuff if/when you play it, although most of the free ones unlock dungeons you won't be able to do for a very long time. Paid ones seems to be pure cheater DLC, and so is the free one that gives you two fairies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Picked up Fairy Fencer remake, I played it on PS3 and thought it was ok. I hear good things about the new routes in the PS4 version though, probably just shoot for those.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I'm playing Fall of the Dungeon Guardians. No thread because it's almost a year old I guess, but it has recent updates.

Holy shit the level 7 boss on warrior difficulty was a real test. The arena boss, for the two of you who played it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Playing FFT WOTL on my phone and it's as enjoyable as ever
I downloaded that the other day. The touchscreen controls make it hard for me to get into it... Almost regretting the purchase. Might get a PSP and play it that way, since I heard there's a way to hook up PSPs to an HD TV. Sounds ideal.

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
I know it fits more into the hack/slash or beat em up category, but did anyone play the Odin Sphere remaster? It got great reviews, but I'm still waiting to see it drop in price a bit ($80 in Canada).