The Sad, sad, state of MMORPG in this brave new era...

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
TLDR: Good thing WOW is still going strong?
That would be TL;DW you mean :)

At the end, they're talking about AAA rumors: CCP is supposedly making a new MMO (hopefully better than Dust), there's the mystery MMO from Amazon & Smed, and the elephant in the china room: Magic The Gathering MMORPG...

But those aren't for 3+ years, probably.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Blizzard slowly going the way of Valve, they'll just make money out of the shit they've already made and aren't making any new games soon. I think they'll be re-releasing war3 and D2 for the next couple of years and just selling more wow expansions/overwatch costumes/heroes of the storm heroes until then.

That seems a generally unfair comparison given Hearthstone and Overwatch. Say what you will about overall originality, they are both quite different from anything blizzard had tried before, and with both of them wildly successful, it seems unlikely it will be an environment where new ideas are ignored, regardless of how many accountants are in senior management.

Also I'm pretty sure Valve's problem is the opposite of milking it for profit, it's that they have a bunch of wealthy game nerds who can work on their pet project with no pressure to actually achieve anything, pretty much the George RR Martin problem.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I have to say if you take Korean and Chinese MMO out, we're left with kickstarter only MMO in development which is kind of sad.

As for what Blizzard will do next, tons of rumors that Diablo 4 is in the work, and that it might be an MMO, not sure how I feel about that. Considering that I still enjoy WoW for 3 months or so every time they release an expansion and still go back to Diablo every few seasons, it could be worse.

I honestly think that the future of MMO is stuff like Destiny and Anthem on consoles...which sucks because they are not really MMO as we probably define them but multiplayer games with a lobby.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wow is still.the greatest MMO ever made. Y'all are just some salty ass mothafuckas

• 8Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 13 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a few friends keeping an eye on the new Camelot game. I enjoyed the original DAoC and had many a fun night with Realm verse Realm.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
They've recruited a brand new team over the last year for an unannounced game. But zero info about what new game they're making. And yes, like you, after Titan, I'm 98% certain it won't be a MMO. Hopefully, they don't do a BR game.

Reports are that their new game is likely a mobile game.

• 1Barf

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
CCP sent a survey out yesterday about supposed new game. They asked questions about if you had played Dust and such. Guessing they'll try and integrate into Eve like everything else they dream up.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
As much as I respect CCP for making an innovative niche game that is pretty damn awesome in some ways (player driven economy, very free form, PVP heavy), and the same MMO being my first which always makes someone impressionable, I'm still under the impression that CCP simply lucked out on it more than anything and that they suck at game development in general. I'm looking at you WoD MMO that never was! And yes, as Borzak Borzak said, there's a damn high chance they're going to do something dumb and try and integrate it into Eve some way instead of just setting off on their own. I'll take a look if and when it is released and it looks good, but my hopes are so low I'm not sure I even have any lol.

Raign

Golden Squire
Wow is still.the greatest MMO ever made. Y'all are just some salty ass mothafuckas

I doubt you will get many arguments against that - the salt comes from how shitty and mindlessly linear it became, not how it was when it was made.

The studio Rob Pardo started (Bonfire) after leaving the Blizzard has been radio silent for a very long time other than doing a lot of hiring and some sort of nebulous partnership with Rare so it's possible something decent could still come out of there in the MMO genre.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wynn

Golden Knight of the Realm
Spot on with WoW, the only thing that annoys me is how many people who criticize WoW for what it is never played it back before it became the "game on rails" that has come to define much of the genre. The original WoW was full of quests that spanned multiple zones, dungeons etc, many that didn't just tell you go to A and do X (thus the reason people would use early sites like Thottbot to get info), had multiple large, non-linear dungeons that were usually done as different distinct runs (i.e. Dire Maul Tribe Run vs Dire Maul West even though they both actually connect and are the same instance, Blackrock Depths was usually done as either a Vault Run or an Emperor Run, Blackrock Spire normally was Upper/Lower, Strath Live vs Deadside etc.)

There was a great sense of wonder/adventure in original WoW, in a lot of ways it was like "EverQuest realized" for me, meaning it was like EQ which I had played for years, except stuff was done...right, and it was like I immediately realized how poorly designed EQ was in comparison.

When I went back to WoW in Legion, it was a well done game with fun dungeons and raids, but it lacked the sort of charm/character of 10+ years ago. Everything was tightly curated, everything was very linear. The Mythic+ game felt like Diablo 3 and all the raid bosses were so dissected and had accompanying strategy videos 2 weeks before the new content launched because all the guilds who test like to share their videos. It wasn't a terrible MMO but I only kept up with Legion for about 6 months because it just lacked the sort of uniqueness of the older school MMOs (of which I include WoW as one of them.)

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>

Credit to Blizzard for still being on top 14 years later, shame on the rest of the industry for not managing to improve on WoW and make something significantly better.

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Credit to Blizzard for still being on top 14 years later, shame on the rest of the industry for not managing to improve on WoW and make something significantly better.
Final Fantasy 14 is pretty fucking good.

Main issue is the main story quest chain which has you keep returning to a dumbfuck NPC to explain the plot to you.

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Main issue is the main story quest chain which has you keep returning to a dumbfuck NPC to explain the plot to you.
That is not the main issue .The main issue is that UNLESS YOU PAY REAL DOLLARS you cannot catch up on the latest expansion for months .you have to do all the quests from 1.0 up to now. In order.

WoW is still the same game. Raids and dungeons are great, the world looks better every expansion, quests are exactly the same

• 1Like

Raign

Golden Squire

That and I never found it to be as crisp and responsive as Wow... in fact, I haven't seen ANY mmo to date that is as responsive as Wow. I am not sure how Pardo and the Blizzard team made their net code, but it is both a thing of wonder and obviously VERY hard to replicate.

• 1Solidarity

Raign

Golden Squire
WoW is still the same game. Raids and dungeons are great, the world looks better every expansion, quests are exactly the same

No. If you think it is, you didn't play vanilla. It wasn't ANYWHERE NEAR on rails as it is today. There were so many areas in Vanilla where elite mobs roamed and packs were tight and pathed dangerously, fleeing at low health, areas where you could and did actually die. The dungeons, while not EQ non-linear were at least not straight up hallways, BRD, Lower and upper BRS, those style zones died in TBC and then continued to die more and more each expansion after that.

That said, the raid game did get better over time, Karazan, Ulduar, Ice Crown were AMAZING raid zones, by comparison MC was fucking cancer.

• 1Solidarity

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is not the main issue .The main issue is that UNLESS YOU PAY REAL DOLLARS you cannot catch up on the latest expansion for months .you have to do all the quests from 1.0 up to now. In order.

Someone with no heirlooms takes a long time to level up. So does someone in ff14. If you skip cut scenes it's probably not much different.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Vanilla WoW was amazing with how open it was, even the bits that sucked like running out of quests and grinding in Ferelas or Silithus sounds like an adventure now compared to the rails it has now.

I think Burning Crusade was the sweet spot between the open exploration of Vanilla and the good raids with some polish/rails of Wrath.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any game that stands a chance of capturing some of that old magic is going to have to be super indie. Anyone with a non-super-indie budget is just going to be too risk averse. Even the kickstarter projects are trying to go too big and too shiny for their own good. I think the only way forward is with a tiny team with tiny production values and tiny ambition who can still manage to release something that people will actually pay for. (If the ambition scales out of proportion to the paying audience, you get games that drag on until they finally run out of money and launch unfinished... so almost every mmo ever.)

I've run an EQemu for a couple of years now, so I know there are definitely people willing to play a game with oldschool EQ's production values. Some even offer to donate (though I've never accepted any), so people are even willing to pay to do so. Whether enough people would pay to play an oldschool EQ that wasn't EQ is the question though.

So: Would you pay to play a game on-par with vanilla EQ? And more specifically, what's the smallest slice of mmo (considering production quality, features, and content) that you'd pay to play today if you knew that your payment was directly funding further development on the game?