The Science Video Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was one of my favorite threads on foh. Is it resurrected on here somewhere?

Grimsark

Hour+ long video... Worth watching if you have any objectivity what so ever.

Question everything!!!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Hour+ long video... Worth watching if you have any objectivity what so ever.

Question everything!!!
This is a phenomenally terrible documentary. I'm not an astrophysicist, though my wife is a nuclear physicist and and I have a close friend who is a radio astronomer and designs telescopes at Cal Tech. The idea that modern astrophysicists have totally neglected basic electrodynamics is patently stupid. The people in this video (an engineer and a sociologist, btw) make extraordinary claims and offer basically zero evidence beyond some hand-waving towards 19th century experiments with batteries and language from stories written by ancient people who didn't even have working plumbing.

I'm all for skepticism and challenging assumptions, but this is only compelling if you don't know what they're talking about.

Grimsark

This is a phenomenally terrible documentary. I'm not an astrophysicist, though my wife is a nuclear physicist and and I have a close friend who is a radio astronomer and designs telescopes at Cal Tech. The idea that modern astrophysicists have totally neglected basic electrodynamics is patently stupid. The people in this video (an engineer and a sociologist, btw) make extraordinary claims and offer basically zero evidence beyond some hand-waving towards 19th century experiments with batteries and language from stories written by ancient people who didn't even have working plumbing.

I'm all for skepticism and challenging assumptions, but this is only compelling if you don't know what they're talking about.
I'm not saying I subscribe to their assertions, but I will point out that the video was obviously made for common consumption, not as a scientific dissertation. I do find it unusually annoying the way that such counter intuitive ideas as string theory and information theory and even dark matter theory get all kinds of attention; but the electric (plasma) universe theory is nearly ignored outright... Perhaps if it where given the kind of establishment attention that the rest of these 'potential' explanations, for obvious contradictions in evidence, where given they wouldn't have to stoop to low budget appeals to common people to get it.

Also... As if I have to say it, Einstein was a common patent clerk. Your profession, is hardly an indication of your aptitude for scientific reason.

More crazy theory incoming...

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
<stuff>

Also... As if I have to say it, Einstein was a common patent clerk. Your profession, is hardly an indication of your aptitude for scientific reason.
I'm talking about background and education, not profession. Einstein was working as a patent clerk to pay the bills while getting a PhD in physics. This is different from a man who studies old fictional stories telling physicists they're doing their job wrong.

With regard to plasma cosmology:How I know plasma cosmology is wrong

Grimsark

I'm talking about background and education, not profession. Einstein was working as a patent clerk to pay the bills while getting a PhD in physics. This is different from a man who studies old fictional stories telling physicists they're doing their job wrong.

With regard to plasma cosmology:How I know plasma cosmology is wrong
That piece that is supposed to be debunking plasma theory, is itself based on the assumptions of dark matter... Which in the great scheme of things holds about as much water as the theory it is being used to supposedly debunk.

The truth is, we have (edit: only unproven ideas) either way. But its pretty obvious to me that theories are being cherry picked for investigation by an establishment bent on hero worship rather than intuitiveness or observational merit.

(edit: Posted wrong video)

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50434185...science-space/

rrr_img_8395.jpg

spum_sl

shitlord
I am approached with the most opposite opinions and advice, and by men who are equally certain that they represent the divine will. I am sure that either the one or the other is mistaken in the belief, and perhaps in some respects, both.
I hope it will not be irreverent of me to say that if it is probable that God would reveal his will to others on a point so connected with my duty, it might be supposed he would reveal it directly to me.

Abraham Lincoln

Troll_sl

shitlord
Grimsark, you remind me of the story that Carl Sagan tells in his book,The Demon Haunted World, about William F. Buckley (notthatWilliam F. Buckley). You're interested in science. You want to know. But you've been led down the garden path.