The Shannara Chronicles

Jait

Molten Core Raider
This is fucking terrible. I mean seriously guys. Brooks isn't deserving of a lot, but Manu? No one deserves that for their star. And I can't get past Shannara himself...those reaction shots...

rrr_img_122410.jpg

Since a lot of you are enjoying this, I'm not going to be a douche and continue posting. At least people are producing Fantasy series, and I really love some of the novels though I think Eddings would make for much better TV if you're going to use really... REALLY shitty actors.

edit: Great CGI. And Rhys Davies is the man.

Column_sl

shitlord
Enjoying it. From the original commercial it looked terrible, but it actually has a pretty high production value for a TV series.

Wish it was a little more questy since it is a pretty generic story. Would like to see this group tackle a dungeon first before diving into this over arching Villain destroying the world scenario.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Just finished episode 4, and curious if all this teeny drama was part of the books as well. The acting is meh and two 2 main chars are still annoying as sin at this point.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Just finished episode 4, and curious if all this teeny drama was part of the books as well. The acting is meh and two 2 main chars are still annoying as sin at this point.
It wasnt. I feel like I got Twilight when I wanted Game of Thrones. The books are really pretty dark but the show comes off more as a love drama to me =/ Hopefully the series gets better as I REALLY want to watch a Wishsong of Shannara series (I've read that book way too many times).

koljec_sl

shitlord
Would you go so far as to say that Amberle's portrayal iswooden?

Jait_sl said:
Since a lot of you are enjoying this, I'm not going to be a douche and continue posting. At least people are producing Fantasy series, and I really love some of the novels though I think Eddings would make for much better TV if you're going to use really... REALLY shitty actors.
I can see what you're noticing, but just don't take it so seriously and accept that it's Shannara reinvented for whatever MTV's audience is.

I'd be glad to see the Belgariad in serial form. There are stronger albeit cliche characters and interactions in that story. Who wouldn't want to see a live action Mandorallen or Silk?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Watching this makes me wish HBO or Netflix would pick up the production rights for The Belgariad.
Yep. It's a guaranteed money maker. Give it another 20 years
frown.png
It'll be my grandkids LotR. They could do the same with Feist too, but Eddings really has that "Family" Epic Fantasy story that everyone is looking in the wrong places for.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
David was highly against a TV show or Movie ever being made....Leah is horriable with decision making and now that he's dead maybe it'll happen some day. The Elenium (slightly darker) would be even better I think.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
David was highly against a TV show or Movie ever being made....Leah is horriable with decision making and now that he's dead maybe it'll happen some day. The Elenium (slightly darker) would be even better I think.
Honestly, I also think the Elenium and Tamuli would be the better choice for a grittier show, but I'm definitely in agreement on the Belgariad/Mallorean being the family-oriented one.

(There are a few less retcons in the Elenium and Tamuli, too, but I digress.)

A big NO to the Dreamers, though. Probably a pass on The Redemption of Althalus, too, but I'm 50/50 there.

Siliconemelons

Yep. It's a guaranteed money maker. Give it another 20 years
frown.png
It'll be my grandkids LotR. They could do the same with Feist too, but Eddings really has that "Family" Epic Fantasy story that everyone is looking in the wrong places for.
I am not the only one who read Feist eh, I think they would make a great show also, but mostly the first 2 rift and demon war... the rest if the show was successful would make some nice movies or mini series... I am currently in the last or 2nd to last book - I need to finish it.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I am not the only one who read Feist eh, I think they would make a great show also, but mostly the first 2 rift and demon war... the rest if the show was successful would make some nice movies or mini series... I am currently in the last or 2nd to last book - I need to finish it.
Milamber!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Honestly, I also think the Elenium and Tamuli would be the better choice for a grittier show, but I'm definitely in agreement on the Belgariad/Mallorean being the family-oriented one.

(There are a few less retcons in the Elenium and Tamuli, too, but I digress.)

A big NO to the Dreamers, though. Probably a pass on The Redemption of Althalus, too, but I'm 50/50 there.
The Sparhawk books were some of my absolute favorites as a young lad. He put them out pretty damn quickly too, like one a year or so from 89-94. They were pretty fast reads, but a story I liked a bit better than the Shannara stuff. Sword was a slog, but Elfstones/Wishsong and the whole Heritage set were pretty good reads. I just really liked the more militaristic angle that the Elenium/Tamuli had overall. Would love to see either/both on the small screen at some point.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The Sparhawk books are G-rated RR Martin. Basically all pulled from similar English source materials, but very different in presentation and design. I think they'd be perfect for TV, except for one tinsy problem.

Styrics. They're Jews. And they come with all the same stereotypes in the 2nd series :/ For whatever reason Charlie Sheen proved it best. You can fuck 10k hookers and give them HIV, you can snort more coke than a South American brothel, etc..etc.. but don't use Jewish stereotypes or your career in TV is over.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Very true on the jew angle, and one I didn't really put together when I was 13 hah. It's not nearly so obvious in the first series, but yeah, Zalasta and the rich priests are pretty stereotypical. Maybe the multi-deity nature would throw people off the scent, but yeah, they're jew wizards. =|

Ganthorn

N00b
Just watched the first 2-parter and was pleasantly surprised. It looks really good and the acting wasn't any worse then most shows set for the demographic. My only gripe from reading the books was instnatly giving away that it is the future of our world. That was a cool reveal what half way through the books. You are like humans, elves, trolls, gnomes. Yep typical fantasy then bam! No it isnt!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yep typical fantasy then bam! No it isnt!
And, presumably, that's why they did it, straight out of the box, in the very first scenes. "This is not just a Lord of the Rings copy" is a necessity in a world where The Hobbit trilogy just finished last year and having played Gollum(!!!) is a major career move for an actor.