The Shannara Chronicles

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Finally decided to try this and binged all 4 episodes. Much better than I expected. Yep, the girls are hot, but the princess can't keep the upper hand during a physical confrontation at all. It was kinda funny when they had Crixxus do the slow motion sword action, just like in Spartacus. The show has hooked me. I will continue to watch.

Malkav

French Madman
Started watching this tonight.

Damn, Eretria is hot.

Not sure if I'm a fan of some changes they did to the book, but maybe it's because I read it a few months ago so it's still fresh in my mind.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
I'm three in and pretty torn at this point, always was a fan of Brooks and the Shannara series.

It's basically a MTV version so I'll just have to live with it but I'm having a hard time with Manu as Allanon, loved him in Spartacus and Arrow but he's just not doing it for me as the Druid and it's been a few since I've read the early stuff but I don't remember a fancy collapsing sword just staff, sword and the occasional Druid fire.

Really like the world building with the ancient ruins of Seattle, always wondered in the early books if it was our world thousands of years later and with Brooks tying it together it makes me smile.

I'll take Amberle over Ercetria though!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
This would be amazing if it was not on mtv. Crixus and the plot are good, but Fuck mtv.

It's like sparkle vampires raped game of throne s.

Column_sl

shitlord
I wish Manu was in something really good again, but until then this will due.

Why isn't that guy making movies tho.

I'll take Amberle over Ercetria though!
She definitely isn't bad on the eyes

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Eretria is the girl from Pan's Labyrinth and damn that girl got a booty.
Booty booty booty!

rrr_img_122552.jpg

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
god damn, some hotties in this.
Kinda funny this show has stupidly hot women very pretty boys and then one bad as MOFO gladiator from spartacus. That guy looks like he is randomly going to crush all the waifs around him with his awesomeness.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
How is this show? Have first 4 episodes dloaded but wont bother if it is legends of the seeker bad.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
It's better than Legend of the Seeker. Shannara actually, so far, mostly, follows the book. Kind of...

Seeker wasn't terrible if you were looking for Hurcules/Xena type show with a couple hot women. But if you were looking for a Sword of Truth adaptation, then yeah... bad.

At least give Shannara a shot if you liked Elfstones. I didn't like it at first but I've changed my mind starting with episode 3.

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
As a comparison this is a step up from the series the originals, of which I could only take about 10 episodes. If you watched that. But at the same time it is a big step down from Game Of Thrones.

For me, this has a lot of red flags up already (after 3 episodes and a half).

Love triangle, clumsy/forced emotional scenes. The acting is borderline. This is also fairly heavy on the teen romance as well.

I don't remember much about the books at all, but this kind of reminds me of taking a great tale then imprinting your own designs on it, like the hobbit movies. And not for the better.

The problem I also have is a distinct lack of quality fantasy on T.V. So I am holding out on this for another episode or 3...

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Love triangle, clumsy/forced emotional scenes. The acting is borderline. This is also fairly heavy on the teen romance as well.
MTV. That's what explains all of the above.
The problem I also have is a distinct lack of quality fantasy on T.V. So I am holding out on this for another episode or 3...
Yup.

Malkav

French Madman
Well, not like the love triangle was not there in the book. And the protagonists in all of the Shannara books all had their stupid emotional/rebel teenagers moments.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Well, not like the love triangle was not there in the book. And the protagonists in all of the Shannara books all had their stupid emotional/rebel teenagers moments.
This is the truth. If you've read Elfstones and Wishsong, then you know where the 'love triangle' is headed.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's not exactly a love triangle in the book. Eretria is hot for Wil who is hot for Amberle who is too busy being conflicted over the whole chosen thing to get busy.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Watching this makes me wish HBO or Netflix would pick up the production rights for The Belgariad.
Eddings isn't HBO material tho. They pick up deconstructions of conventional tropes and turn them around to something grittier... Sopranos for the mafia story, The Wire for cop shows and GoT for fantasy.

Eddings' stuff would make sense on Amazon or Netflix maybe.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Like I said in a later post...or maybe it was that one, I can't be botherd to go look while on my phone. I think a slightly darker/grittier version of The Elenium would be an awesome idea and would be easier and better to translate onto the screen.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Elenium is plenty dark, but the main characters are basically charmed and borderline invulnerable. Except Kurik =| It's a very tame type of fantasy overall, and the Shannara books are substantially "darker" with more death and chase scenes and what not built in, while the Sparhawk books always have the plodding towards victory feeling. Especially once Sparhawk gets Bhelliom hah.

There's not really any teenager type antics going on, and now that GoT has made sure that the adult version of fantasy needs to have tits/swearing, it would be difficult to market it without substantially changing the tone, I think. It's fantasy for the DnD/Tabletop wargamer. Doesn't mean I wouldn't watch the shit out of it!