The "Shit I just bought" thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
To note: we had CHEAP laminate flooring that specifically said not to use steam on it...lol
So exactly why do they tell you not to use a steam mop? Think about laminate as being made of layers of wallpaper. The top layers – the shine and the photo – are very thin material. Steam is both hot and moist and how do you loosen wallpaper when you want to replace it? You use steam.

Applying steam to laminate weakens the material over time. The top coat that is doing all the heavy work in protecting the look and finish of your floor could be worn away or loosened by regular exposure to heat. In addition, you risk warping the material or introducing fissures in between the pieces that would allow moisture to seep underneath.
quickly google'd, seems true.

Siliconemelons

Yeah "Better" Laminate that proclaims itself "water proof*******" will handle it better, cheaper stuff - not so great.. if any of the cheap filler material (usually Dense Density Fiber, or Medium Density Fiber) gets wet, even a little - that shit swells up and causes all sorts of bad mojo- and a STEAM mob forcefully SHOOTING STEAM into every nook, chip and crack in your floor is NOT good.

Real wood is the same to an extent, but it recovers better from swelling - the MDF/DDF used as the primary structure of laminate does not- it will not dry and shrink back nearly as well as real wood if at all. So if you have a few scratches or chips in the polyurethane coat on your wood floor it is not as big of a problem as the same level of damage would be with laminate.

now, as mentioned above with stone, yeah- its awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah "Better" Laminate that proclaims itself "water proof*******" will handle it better, cheaper stuff - not so great.. if any of the cheap filler material (usually Dense Density Fiber, or Medium Density Fiber) gets wet, even a little - that shit swells up and causes all sorts of bad mojo- and a STEAM mob forcefully SHOOTING STEAM into every nook, chip and crack in your floor is NOT good.

Real wood is the same to an extent, but it recovers better from swelling - the MDF/DDF used as the primary structure of laminate does not- it will not dry and shrink back nearly as well as real wood if at all. So if you have a few scratches or chips in the polyurethane coat on your wood floor it is not as big of a problem as the same level of damage would be with laminate.

now, as mentioned above with stone, yeah- its awesome.

Yeah we have the "good laminate" in our house, which I actually preferred to real wood because of humidity and all of the outside tracking in...It's just easier all around in this environment. I would have preferred tile, but at least I don't have to clean much grout. In any case, we use the steam mop very judiciously on the lam and all the time on the tile in the house, for reasons you mentioned.

Siliconemelons

Yeah, we put in cheap laminate when we moved in to our current house, did it myself base tier homedepot crap - knew it was temporary (3-5 years plan to replace) and now I looked at some of the bamboo hardwood and stuff - gave it a scratch and dent test and it was just as "bad" as real hardwood - my kids are still little and very hard on floors so, we are most likely going to get the "good" laminate, thicker overall and thicker top layer - that is plank style for replacement. We chose the hand scraped style vs woodgrain style- laminate wood grain still looks fake as hell if the light gets it at a certain angle.

• 1Like

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
18447262_10102887408093135_6307779077411584498_n.jpg

Coming August of 2017.

• 1Quality Calories
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Amazon.com: Japanese Korean Short Sleeved Navy Sailor Suits School Uniforms For Girls: Clothing

I give this 4.5 grand muftis out 5 grand muftis on the haram scale. It runs a bit small, but the small was perfect for my 5'5 110lb girlfriend. So if you arent extremely petite id go with a size larger.

7e7.jpg

THIGH HIGH Opaque Black Brown Grey Blue Lace Top Stockings Sheer Nylon Pantyhose at Amazon Women’s Clothing store:

I give this 5 grand muftis out of 5 grand muftis on the haram scale. Fit gf perfectly and had no trouble staying up even without a garter. Material had great feel and look with no visible tears or rips.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wife just ordered a piano as her "one huge idiotic adult purchase"

countdown for the cat to jump in the case and fuck up all the strings and the dogs to chew off the legs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Been doing some smart home purchases recently and was keeping an eye out for any Hue product discounts. The home I'm moving into doesn't have any smoke detectors so have been also watching the Nest Protects recently. Amazon has had them listed recently as low as $111.00. Walked into Bed Bath and Beyond and was surprised to see them on sale for $99.00 today. Ended up picking up 3 of them. They all rang up $129, but was given the $99.00 price by the manager. Might be worth checking your local store if interested, haven't seen them this low since last year around Christmas time. I thought the 3rd gen might be coming out, but that wasn't the case.
image1.JPG

fris

Vyemm Raider
your *home* doesn't have any smoke detectors? o_O

when I bought my home, all the detectors were hard wired. and while removing a fake electric fireplace (no heat, just looks), one of the smoke detectors went off and never stopped. few other ones would turn on and off as well. only fix was to flip the breaker on them. they've all been replaced w/ battery only versions. on i think advertised having a 10+ year battery? hasn't died yet in 8 years.

do those Nests connect to the generic detector mount used by old school ones?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Amazon.com: Japanese Korean Short Sleeved Navy Sailor Suits School Uniforms For Girls: Clothing

I give this 4.5 grand muftis out 5 grand muftis on the haram scale. It runs a bit small, but the small was perfect for my 5'5 110lb girlfriend. So if you arent extremely petite id go with a size larger.

View attachment 141489

THIGH HIGH Opaque Black Brown Grey Blue Lace Top Stockings Sheer Nylon Pantyhose at Amazon Women’s Clothing store:

I give this 5 grand muftis out of 5 grand muftis on the haram scale. Fit gf perfectly and had no trouble staying up even without a garter. Material had great feel and look with no visible tears or rips.
I feel like there is a story missing here.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
looks like it used unreal engine
View attachment 143930

Just because it uses Unreal doesn't mean the Diablo devs couldn't have programmed it. With that said I see nothing on the page to make me assume it was a bay area start up which is where Blizzard North was located. It may have had "a" diablo developer, though.

Also the "about us" page for the company was cringy as fuck

• 1Like