The "Shit I just bought" thread

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
your *home* doesn't have any smoke detectors? o_O

when I bought my home, all the detectors were hard wired. and while removing a fake electric fireplace (no heat, just looks), one of the smoke detectors went off and never stopped. few other ones would turn on and off as well. only fix was to flip the breaker on them. they've all been replaced w/ battery only versions. on i think advertised having a 10+ year battery? hasn't died yet in 8 years.

do those Nests connect to the generic detector mount used by old school ones?

The home I purchased was built in 1952, but went to hell and back, total flip and from what I could tell there were no longer any hardwired units. The NEST functionality doesn't work with any non-nest products. They are connected using WIFI, but work together as a unit even if there is a loss of power (i.e. no wifi). It's a bit excessive, but I like that it has a smoke detector and carbon monoxide together in one unit.

The house is a ranch so I don't really need that many, if you were replacing your entire system it could get pricey and I would totally understand why someone wouldn't purchase them. I love the smart home aspect and plan on having the entire range of products (thermostat & security cameras).

BTW if anyone does indeed purchase a smart thermostat you can usually get a rebate from your energy supplier. Mine offers a $90 rebate and additional monthly service bill deductions.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Since this is where people are talking about the NEST stuff, I live in an apartment with one of the old style thermostats that has the lever you slide to the desired temperature, the HOT COLD selector, and the ON AUTO OFF switch next to it. That's it. Would I be able to wire up one of these thermostats to the wires there? I tried Googling if it would work and I'm gonna admit that I know next to nothing about thermostats. I'm not entirely retarded so I could probably pull off the wiring itself if the correct wires are there, but I don't want to buy the thing and struggle with it only to find out it won't work.

This thing is hugely inefficient and hard to zero in on a decent temp, so I'm constantly having to fuck with it. If I bump it just a little too far one way or the other it might end up freezing during the summer, wasting a ton of energy, etc. I'd love to put a better one in, set up timers and such, and even be able to manually do it via my phone or browser at work to get it started for when I get home outside of timer hours.

I also realize I could get a similar (non-internet connected) one for probably a lot less, but I'm intrigued by the idea of getting more products that will all tie together eventually too, so I'm ok with spending a little more up front if it will be useful in the future.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Since this is where people are talking about the NEST stuff, I live in an apartment with one of the old style thermostats that has the lever you slide to the desired temperature, the HOT COLD selector, and the ON AUTO OFF switch next to it. That's it. Would I be able to wire up one of these thermostats to the wires there? I tried Googling if it would work and I'm gonna admit that I know next to nothing about thermostats. I'm not entirely retarded so I could probably pull off the wiring itself if the correct wires are there, but I don't want to buy the thing and struggle with it only to find out it won't work.

This thing is hugely inefficient and hard to zero in on a decent temp, so I'm constantly having to fuck with it. If I bump it just a little too far one way or the other it might end up freezing during the summer, wasting a ton of energy, etc. I'd love to put a better one in, set up timers and such, and even be able to manually do it via my phone or browser at work to get it started for when I get home outside of timer hours.

I also realize I could get a similar (non-internet connected) one for probably a lot less, but I'm intrigued by the idea of getting more products that will all tie together eventually too, so I'm ok with spending a little more up front if it will be useful in the future.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I will also be doing this for the first time when I scoop the thermostat, I believe you do need to pull off the current thermostat to see what wires are back there. I don't believe that it's that hard to switch up, but believe I've read that all the wiring necessary might not exist for super old thermostats. NEST website definitely has the install guide with pictures of the wiring

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
As everyone said pop it off and if you can take a picture of the wires and post it here. If you don't have a C wire I would not use the Nest and it's bullshit passive draw system.
Learning Thermostat Compatibility

Also from the described thermostat I'm guessing it isnt a 24 volt system.

• 1Quality Calories

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i found this guy does some good explaining about thermostats (just regular and wtf all those wires do)

he has an older video that was recorded with the most dog shit quality, but has like a million views

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I keep forgetting to check my fucking thermostat when I'm at home, mainly because I really only browse the forum while at work. Setting a reminder to go off tonight so I can take a look. I'm betting it is not 24V, like Abefroman said.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
i found this guy does some good explaining about thermostats (just regular and wtf all those wires do)

he has an older video that was recorded with the most dog shit quality, but has like a million views
Nice thermostat Muhammed. Want to bring it to the White House?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Once we get the house i'm gonna nab me a
honeywell RTH6580WF

no idea really between a nest or honeywell, i just want it to talk to samsung smartthings (i'll be using smartthings as my hub)

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As everyone said pop it off and if you can take a picture of the wires and post it here. If you don't have a C wire I would not use the Nest and it's bullshit passive draw system.
Learning Thermostat Compatibility

Also from the described thermostat I'm guessing it isnt a 24 volt system.
According to that page, it is compatible. However, I don't have a C wire. Guess I will hold off for awhile and do something else frivolous with my money like wait for a good 4K TV to go on sale.

Thank you for the assistance.

2017-06-09 21.03.10.jpg

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I will say, I am not qualified in HVAC but installing a AC thermostat is pretty easy...you guys are smarter than this.

• 1Solidarity

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
According to that page, it is compatible. However, I don't have a C wire. Guess I will hold off for awhile and do something else frivolous with my money like wait for a good 4K TV to go on sale.

Thank you for the assistance.

View attachment 145342

Don't give up yet. Remove that wall plate and check to see if there is a extra wire possibly taped up in the wall or sticking out a bit. That thermostat might not require a C wire and they just taped it up and left it there. Also if you have access to your HVAC check to see if there is already a wire connected to the C terminal. There are kits you can get that can help you. Read this and decide if you are comfortable with it.
No C-Wire? Venstar Add-a-Wire adapter has you covered

• 1Like
  • 1Supertaster
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Mine was a rheem that wires different, then replaced with a lennox and the wires are all swapped at the handler end, so nothing is what it should be or what it is on the other end... and I have a nice programmable thermostat I have been wanting to use :-(

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Mine was a rheem that wires different, then replaced with a lennox and the wires are all swapped at the handler end, so nothing is what it should be or what it is on the other end... and I have a nice programmable thermostat I have been wanting to use :-(
get a multimeter and this video and it'll show you how to figure out what all the wires do

• 1Like

Crisco

A greasy jar
When I got a thermostat, I pulled all the wires out the wall and found an unused one, since they were colored I went to the AC and just moved themwire to power then all went well. Feel bad for the next guy as that color is likely for something else.

You and also trick it by using the "fan only" wire and get it to work like that. Nest website should have videos.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't have a C wire taped underneath somewhere, so I decided to say fuck it. If I move there is no guarantee the next shitty apartment thermostat works with it anyway, so I'd have a nice thermostat sitting in a drawer at that point.