The "Shit I just bought" thread

Nola

Trakanon Raider
That keyboard.... Dude you know damn well you're too big for using that little ass keyboard. That's like Shaq driving this.

Shaq-LaCrosse2-847044_560x320.png

Siliconemelons

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
We also bought a real bed last week. Up until now the wife and I had been sleeping on a 140cm wide bed ambitious singles buy. It worked, but if one of the kids wanted to cuddle or something you had to be careful to not fall out.

Now it's 180cm and a whole new world. New mattresses too naturally.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Been doing some smart home purchases recently and was keeping an eye out for any Hue product discounts. The home I'm moving into doesn't have any smoke detectors so have been also watching the Nest Protects recently. Amazon has had them listed recently as low as $111.00. Walked into Bed Bath and Beyond and was surprised to see them on sale for $99.00 today. Ended up picking up 3 of them. They all rang up $129, but was given the $99.00 price by the manager. Might be worth checking your local store if interested, haven't seen them this low since last year around Christmas time. I thought the 3rd gen might be coming out, but that wasn't the case.View attachment 143493

I'm curious, what was the expiration date on those units? I just ordered some of the wired versions from Amazon. I was hesitant to pick any up locally since they may have been sitting on the shelf longer. Basically they lose 10% of their value each year they sit on a shelf. From what I understand they are designed to stop working at the 10 year expiration date. I recently set up a Nest Thermo but without the C wire. There was a potential C wire tucked back but it wasn't actually hooked up on the furnace side. My AC has been running so much atm its not been a problem yet but we'll see how it goes in less active times in the season. Has anyone participated in the Rush Rewards program? I imagine the experience will vary depending on who your energy company is and what they try to enforce. For $50 a year I thought I'd give it a try and also feel like I'm helping some energy efficiency cause as I drain the grid with all my other electronics...

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I'm curious, what was the expiration date on those units? I just ordered some of the wired versions from Amazon. I was hesitant to pick any up locally since they may have been sitting on the shelf longer. Basically they lose 10% of their value each year they sit on a shelf. From what I understand they are designed to stop working at the 10 year expiration date. I recently set up a Nest Thermo but without the C wire. There was a potential C wire tucked back but it wasn't actually hooked up on the furnace side. My AC has been running so much atm its not been a problem yet but we'll see how it goes in less active times in the season. Has anyone participated in the Rush Rewards program? I imagine the experience will vary depending on who your energy company is and what they try to enforce. For $50 a year I thought I'd give it a try and also feel like I'm helping some energy efficiency cause as I drain the grid with all my other electronics...

I'll have to see, but I don't recall seeing an EXP on the battery units. I do also have the thermostat installed and working as of the last 2 months. I participate in the Rush Rewards program and we've had two events so far in the past month. I haven't received my bill to see how the credit works out. You should also look into the product rebate from your energy company. In addition to the Rush Rewards program, you can get a $25 rebate from the energy company by completing a rebate form (their website in my area RGE, continually has the link expired), so I had to contact them directly to have a rep send me the rebate form. This is in addition to the rebate for the summer savings program. Hope that wasn't too convoluted.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I'll have to see, but I don't recall seeing an EXP on the battery units. I do also have the thermostat installed and working as of the last 2 months. I participate in the Rush Rewards program and we've had two events so far in the past month. I haven't received my bill to see how the credit works out. You should also look into the product rebate from your energy company. In addition to the Rush Rewards program, you can get a $25 rebate from the energy company by completing a rebate form (their website in my area RGE, continually has the link expired), so I had to contact them directly to have a rep send me the rebate form. This is in addition to the rebate for the summer savings program. Hope that wasn't too convoluted.
Cool, yeah I found more rebates for my state which is a nice bonus. Nest Thermostat, Nest Protect and Nest Cam support says it will nag you at the 10 year expiration. It also says you can check the expiration date from the app. It's hard to say what the state will really be at that point. I suspect it may just keep nagging you but still work although your house won't be up to code if you were to try and sell it. Even with ~8 years of usage, by that time there will probably be something even better to replace them with =p.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i believe anything that has carbon monixide detection is set to expire in 7-10years, so if you have a combo unit smoke/monoxide detector, it'll expire in 7years.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
i believe anything that has carbon monixide detection is set to expire in 7-10years, so if you have a combo unit smoke/monoxide detector, it'll expire in 7years.

Fire alarms are in the same scenario. Gen 1 of the Nest detectors were rated at 7 years but gen 2 is 10 years.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code (72-14.4.7) Replacement of Smoke Alarms in One and Two-Family Dwellings:

“Unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer’s published instructions, single and multiple station smoke alarms installed in one- and two-family dwellings shall be replaced when they fail to respond to operability test, but shall not remain in service longer than 10 years from the date of manufacture.” (NFPA 72)

When I bought my current house (it was just little over 10 years old) my realtor had them replace all the smoke detectors (7) because they had expired. So its not like they bought the nicest ones they could, so I'm happy to replace them now.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Specs por favor.

• Processor i7-7700K 4.2 (20% OC)
  • MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/2400MHz Dual Channel Memory
  • CASE: Thermaltake Core P3 Open Frame + Support Wall-Mounting Gaming case w/ USB 3.
  • CASE FAN: 3X 120mm Corsair HD Series, High Performance Individually Addressable RGB LED PWM Case Fans
  • Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler
  • POWER SUPPLY: 800 Watts
  • VIDEO: GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR
  • HD_M2SSD: 16GB Intel® Optane™ Memory Accelerator M.2 PCIe NVMe + 2TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [ARRAY MODE] No idea what this means. Sounded cool though.
  • MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z270-A Pro ATX w/ USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 1 M.2 SATA/PCIe [Intel Optane Ready]

Cost me 1700 bucks after codes.