The "Shit I just bought" thread

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
you'd pay a pretty penny for a good one, i'd recommend
Chef’sChoice 120 Diamond Hone Pro EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener for 20-degree Edges 100-percent Diamond Abrasives Stropping Precision Guides for Straight and Serrated Edges, 3-Stage

your henckel set is a "western knife" and it'll use a 25/20 degree angle, and this'll be fine. Many of the cheaper 30 to 50dollar sharpeners are bad, and i'll tell you why. first off is they have the ability to "take off too much material" cuz these are all basically miniature sanding belts, and the cheap ones don't have as good of pressure sensitive stuff.

Also the cheaper ones use metal or tungstun or carbide to "bite" into the blade... admittedly this will be better than a dull ass blade, but your blade won't last long.

this one will diamond abrasion for stage 1 and stage 2, and a nice pad to hone for stage 3

also if you periodically, use the hone or "the rod" in this way

like 5 strokes on each side, you'll keep the edge way longer, if you can do that every week or even better everytime you use the knife, it'll be great. "the rod" doesn't sharpen the knife it just puts it back into alignment.

I actually bought a model very similar to this, but smoked it in about 5 minutes use. I live in a 220V country and had hooked it up to a transformer to step down to 110V, but transformers do not change the 50Hz frequency which will inevitably kill AC motors quickly. Hence, why I asked for a non-electric version.

Thanks tho.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I actually bought a model very similar to this, but smoked it in about 5 minutes use. I live in a 220V country and had hooked it up to a transformer to step down to 110V, but transformers do not change the 50Hz frequency which will inevitably kill AC motors quickly. Hence, why I asked for a non-electric version.

Thanks tho.
oops, guess i didn't see the non, i'm assume you still want the same "pull through" style where they keep the angle of the blade for you, again as long as you get the diamond abrasion, you'll be good
Chef's Choice 4643 ProntoPro Angle Select Diamond Hone 3 Stage Manual Knife Sharpener

again stay away from the cheap 15$ ones that use the carbine to sharpen.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
You can get a pretty cheap King 1000/6000 grit combo stone (maybe 25-30 bucks on Amazon), it's very easy to sharpen knives by hand. There are tons of good youtube videos on sharpening with a Japanese waterstone.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hone using the rod pretty much everytime I use it and then I take it to the sharpener guy once a year at our farmers market. He charges like $3 a knife.

• 1Quality Calories

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Drunk and Amazon again....
Purchased a Amazon Echo Spot, hooked it up to Arlo and the ADT system. Now I am seeing how lazy I am with Logitech Harmony Hub, Thermostat(s), and lightning in the house. So far...impressed.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
How the fuck do you buy sheets? I want some good sheets, comfortable, cool (I live in Florida, so fuck heat). Queen size bed, something like 13" thick. I have no clue what I should be looking for. I've always just got cheap sheets, I think it's time to get good ones

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How the fuck do you buy sheets? I want some good sheets, comfortable, cool (I live in Florida, so fuck heat). Queen size bed, something like 13" thick. I have no clue what I should be looking for. I've always just got cheap sheets, I think it's time to get good ones
like a bro guide?

usually you'll see em sold as a 4-piece

this includes two pillowcases, a flat sheet (that you place on top of you, like a weak ass blanket) and a fitted sheet (this has the elastic), it's all matching, cuz ppl like this shit to match

you're thinking either 3 materials
silk,microfiber,cotton

silk and microfiber are easy, nothing specific really, it's just made, nothing as difficult as cotton

cotton is spec'd by thread count, 300 to 100 thread count, you might think the more the thread count, the better it feels? maybe?

Also there are that are more confusing when they add in ply, you know like 2ply toilet paper, they have 2ply 300 thread count sheets too.

this is all really try if you like it, it also depends on what type of mattress you have (since you're a floridian and worry about heat???) regular mattress vs. memory foam or if you have allergies and use mattress casings too.

If you want to impress the ladies, always get a 4piece matching set and make your bed i guess.

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think it's time to get good ones

It's not. Thread count and all the other stuff is just marketing bullshit. It's worse than mattresses. Some people like those sheets that feel like a t-shirt and if you do then good for you because they are crazy cheap but I like my sheets slick and cold. Fancy sheets are just sheets that cost more though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My sheet set was like $12 on black Friday. I admittedly don't buy my sheets from someone should setup a stand in front of s gas station selling Egyptian 300 thread count sheets

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I dig cotton but in Florida and the humidity seems icky to me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's not. Thread count and all the other stuff is just marketing bullshit. It's worse than mattresses. Some people like those sheets that feel like a t-shirt and if you do then good for you because they are crazy cheap but I like my sheets slick and cold. Fancy sheets are just sheets that cost more though.
yea pretty much, tho i'd say this is different for pillowcases, i have like 5 silk pillowcases for the wife. I don't know the details, but she says it's better for not sticking face oil? or hair, idk

we just have these microfiber sheets from Amazon, 12bucks a sheet and incredibly plush and soft, just get ones where thousands of ppl have reviewed it, cuz ppl love to complain

• 1Solidarity

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have any luck or success with any of the bed-in-a-box companies? The intermediate priced Casper product is one of the most highly rated foam beds out there for $995.