The "Shit I just bought" thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Where can I get such a unit?
if a w/d has on screen controls, fuck dat shit, if you want to avoid wifi w/d, or a usb port.

no seriously, the older models had usb for this
06b8322d9a868d2766ae256c7e38f457.png

but now the newer ones have a nic built in w/ on screen controls.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I’ve been married a total of 18 years between two different women, so I know a thing or two about wives and let me tell you what’s really up. Wives think about laundry all the fucking time.

When it’s not done, they will constantly remind you how lazy you are.
When it’s done, they will constantly remind you that they did it for you.
When you do it yourself, they will constantly remind you that you fucked it up.

Wives want to know that if they are at Starbucks pretending that they’re going to workout, they can remote start a load of laundry that they can put in the dryer when they come home after their 3rd venti.

Added points if they can sign up for a monthly “box” subscription right from the washing machine.

That’s why W/D need WiFi.

This is why I do my own fuckin laundry. I grew up with four sisters, my mom would wash all their shit together, so I wasn't risking losing clothes in that chaos, which has persisted into marriage. She does her own fuckin laundry, and I do mine. I have enough clothes to last me about 6 weeks, which takes about two loads with these new units. Three hours and I don't have to have to fuck with that shit again for another month and a half. Her? She washes like two small loads a week, for whatever reason, but then still has a huge basket of clothes that need to be folded after several weeks of not actually putting them up. I hang everything, and only fold my jeans. She has a folding tool, and I feel like that's just a huge waste of multiple days worth of time. Also, fuck folding creases in my shirts. Ultimately I don't give a shit what she does, but running 10x more loads was definitely a primary cause of our washer dying. So there's that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Shit I just bought:
AMD Ryzen 5 1400
Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200
ASRock AB350M Pro4 Motherboard

all in all €400 or so and I'm good for the next five years. Initially I was going to spend €200 or less for a still significant upgrade but hey.
Paired with the 1050Ti 4GB I got earlier this week this should be fine.
Kept my Antec Three Hundred and my OCZ StealthXStream 500W PSU because why the fuck not. If my case ever breaks (yeah right) I'm getting the Antec Three Hundred II (302, Three Hundred Two, however they spell it). This case is so nice and it cost me €60 almost ten years ago. PSU same age. Wonder when it'll blow up.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Shit I just bought:
AMD Ryzen 5 1400
Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200
ASRock AB350M Pro4 Motherboard

all in all €400 or so and I'm good for the next five years. Initially I was going to spend €200 or less for a still significant upgrade but hey.
Paired with the 1050Ti 4GB I got earlier this week this should be fine.
Kept my Antec Three Hundred and my OCZ StealthXStream 500W PSU because why the fuck not. If my case ever breaks (yeah right) I'm getting the Antec Three Hundred II (302, Three Hundred Two, however they spell it). This case is so nice and it cost me €60 almost ten years ago. PSU same age. Wonder when it'll blow up.

This for gaming?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
No...where I will be until the end of the month. It's a main street and it SUCKS. Hence moving.
ah k, i expect pics in the home thread soon, also i noticed corner house, probably makes the main street doubly bad.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hi Guys!
Lazy again, and not willing to go back and look.
What do you guys recommend for a great knife set? German/Jap?
Komikoto any good? I think I am willing to spend around $300 for a great set, unless influences otherwise......

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Hi Guys!
Komikoto any good? I think I am willing to spend around $300 for a great set, unless influences otherwise......
Having owned sets between $100-500, it's all in the sharpening tools. You can buy a super cheap set and a nice stone for sharpening. When each blade reaches the $300-500 per do you really see an honest difference. Granted the handles on the $100 set sucked vs even a $300 set. It really depends on how often you plan to use them vs how often you plan to sharpen them.

The $1200 blade my favorite sushi chef has used for 30 years that can pretty much cut atoms...

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Hi Guys!
are you used to german or jap? is the question.

some are used to the heft of a regular french chef knife, so when they use a jap gyuto(jap chef knife) they think it's cheap.

also, you don't need a "knife set", you can get a good set of steak knives for 10bucks a pop, or however you want to style.

a chef knife should do for 90% of all your cuts. a bread knife is like 20bucks, however if you keep your chef knife razor sharp, you don't need to have a shitty bread knife around.

other than that a good honing rod is like 20bucks

imo build your own knife set

knife blocks are 30bucks or less hell, reuse an old one, or take moms old wood block that is probably in the attic

i myself use a magnetic strip[/url], i love getting as much countertop space as possible
PHOTO_20180308_000852.jpg

a honing rod/steel is like 15bucks or again, take one from someone that is bound to have one lying around

currently that is the largest mag strip i could put on and i don't feel like drilling through the ugly backsplash (i don't want to do kitchen renos for this house), so i've had sacrifice and forgo using my chinese chefs knife. i keep my honing steel and leather block in the drawer and keep the steak knives in the drawer as well (in the basement kitchen).

but yea as acidfly said, learning how to sharpen w/ a good whetstone is a plus.

From my knife line up, i have 2 santokus cuz my wife likes em, and they're good for cheese (since they're scalloped nothing sticks), i use the gyuto for everything else, and the pairing knife is around if i have to get into some weird cutting angles (like breaking down a chicken).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
This for gaming?
Yeah it's for... "gaming" as in WoW and Elite Dangerous, for now. I have a PS4 for "newer" games too so this should last me a while. I'm not playing new games, I'm the bargain bin buyer ;-)

Nice car man. So jelly.