The "Shit I just bought" thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'd be fucking livid if some neighbor put up those eyesores in sight of my house!
Thank god the world isn't full of HOA's everywhere yet.

Be thankful you don't live next to me. I have antennas, a rifle/pistol range, and a runway for giant scale R/C airpleanes up to 42% full scale.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
It's the fun of tinkering. I build a lot of the stuff, antennas and other stuff like tuners just to see if I can do it. Plus you can get some pretty intersting info in the world by either listening or talking to people in certain areas. I have hit 180+ countries and the international space station 2 way and on several occasions with groups like expeditions that have no internet etc..as well as groups of people that their only contact is really radio. You can also do data on amatuer radio as well if that is your thing, not mine but it's another tech area people fiddle with.

If you want something you can sit down and talk to someone 1/2 way around the world by plugging in a radio then it's probably not for you and those people should stick to email.

I know a lot of people who carry a handheld UHF/VHF while outdoors and out of cell phone range as well. I have one but personally when I backpack solo I carry a sat phone nowdays but I used to carry a handheld.

I grew up tinkering and building computers, my first was an altair kit. Now that I work on a computer all day the last thing I want to do is fiddle with one at home. I surf but that's about it. Ham radio is still pretty much a tinkering and electronics type hobby.
Ok that space station shit sounds pretty cool, thanks for clarifying. Also, I have heard you have to get a license because you can potential kill people if you don't know what you're doing with one of those things. Is this legit or is it bullshit? I always just figured that guy didn't know what he was talking about.

Be thankful you don't live next to me. I have antennas, a rifle/pistol range, and a runway for giant scale R/C airpleanes up to 42% full scale.
Sounds like you have all the cool toys.

Remit_sl

shitlord
You get a license so that you dont cause interference to actual important stuff. I have a bunch of FCC licenses. I still think ham operators are stupid and given far too much spectrum
smile.png

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
This weekend is field day across the US. Ham clubs get outdoors and practice their emergency prepartdness and try and contact all 50 states etc...Some places really get into it. Me, not so much but if you are intested in ham radio look up a local club and you can go out and make contacts this weekend etc...A lot of them use it as PR thing as well.
Thanks, I'm in Germany though, won't be making it in time. Don't think I'll be going back to HAM stuff either, it was fun while it lasted though. I was pretty good at morse code (you needed to do 12 wpm / 60 signs or something when I took the shortwave license).

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Yeah, most cities I have lived in the neighbors would be raising hell about an antenna farm like that. I wouldn't care personally, but I'm sure people would be screaming about how they look and probably some retards would be claiming their kids were all getting cancer.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, most cities I have lived in the neighbors would be raising hell about an antenna farm like that. I wouldn't care personally, but I'm sure people would be screaming about how they look and probably some retards would be claiming their kids were all getting cancer.
It is for property value and re-sale. If I went into a house interesting in buying it I would pretty much immediately eliminate the home if my neighbor had 4 30 foot antennas next door.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If my neighbor did that and he was a cool dude then I would be fine with it, but you're right, the problem comes when it's time to sell and no one wants to buy your house because of that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Only acceptable if you attach tin foil to the towers to keep out the bad guys

Edit: Bought a Logitech Harmony 650 and it is awesome! My new comcast remote couldn't control the tv or AV system (because of idiots), so I had to buy this. Was able to program the TV, the AV system, and it even works on the new X1 comcast box.

10/10 would buy again.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had one of the first Harmony remotes and it was awesome. It probably lasted a good 7 years. I've wanted to replace it ever since, but all I hear is that they're just not the same anymore.

Borzak

Yeah, that's why I gave up neighbors 15 years ago.

Borzak

Thanks, I'm in Germany though, won't be making it in time. Don't think I'll be going back to HAM stuff either, it was fun while it lasted though. I was pretty good at morse code (you needed to do 12 wpm / 60 signs or something when I took the shortwave license).
In the US morse code is no longer required for any of the amatuer radio licences for about 6 years now.

CeNo65_sl

shitlord
finally bought a WiiU ... mario cart rocks, downloaded zelda for free cant wait to start that journey and played the first 4 levels os Shovel Knight(8 bit fun)

Borzak

Since we talked about HAM radio for a few.

Contact with the King of Spain today, the one that is stepping down (or possibly already has).

EA0JC , he was on for a "King of Spain" contest on amatuer radio today and he was talkig to a lot of people in the US who were having field day. Something I don't get to do every day. Apparently he's a big ham radio nut.

EA0JC Callsign on QRZCQ - The database for radio hams - BETA

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
New dining room table, 54" diameter, 24" seat height. made from US quarter sawn oak, chairs are regular oak.

the fact that im excited over this means im old =/

rrr_img_70193.jpg
rrr_img_70194.jpg
rrr_img_70195.jpg
rrr_img_70196.jpg