The Tanoubliette: Pussy Hurt and Delusions or TTPHAD for short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Let me try to give an analogy here.

When told that you were indoctrinating your children with fairy tales, you reacted with anger and pointed out all the benefits they were supposedly getting from it. That was irrelevant to whether or not you were indoctrinating your kids with fairy tales. It was an attempt to sidetrack to the discussion.
You must spread more reputation around yadda yadda

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
This whole conversation started because of ZQ's Twitter. Are you just mindlessly arguing now?
The inclusion of the word "now" at the end of your post implies that he ever wasn't just mindlessly arguing for arguments' sake.

Please review the Trayvon Martin thread from three years ago to disabuse yourself of this delusion forthwith.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
This whole conversation started because of ZQ's Twitter. Are you just mindlessly arguing now?
I claimed, and I stand by the claim, that Gamergate is currently a bigger part of the public consciousness than Watergate, especially among young people and ESPECIALLY among gamers. I made this point to stress that the kids playing Paper Mario are not going to think "Watergate" when they see that joke, they're going to think "a '-gate' scandal joke", due in no small part to the recent popularity of Gamergate.

You claiming "but kids don't know who Zoe Quinn is!" doesn't change any of that.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
so you moved the goal posts.

anyway, its pretty moot, because its difficult to be familiar with gamergate without knowing the names attached.

i still think you're wrong, btw. my 13 year old niece is pretty tech savvy and spends a ton of time online, i'll ask her if she's ever heard of gamergate. her step brother is only around every other week, but he's even more of a nerd. will ask him too when i get a chance.

granted, its just two examples, but its certainly more concrete than anything you have offered up.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
so you moved the goal posts.

anyway, its pretty moot, because its difficult to be familiar with gamergate without knowing the names attached.

i still think you're wrong, btw. my 13 year old niece is pretty tech savvy and spends a ton of time online, i'll ask her if she's ever heard of gamergate. her step brother is only around every other week, but he's even more of a nerd. will ask him too when i get a chance.

granted, its just two examples, but its certainly more concrete than anything you have offered up.
I didn't move goal posts. That's the statement I originally made and I stuck to it. You trying to infer meaning that isn't there doesn't mean I moved goal posts.

Also, there's a difference between "tech-savvy nerd" and "gamer" (although there is a lot of overlap). But sure, ask them if they know about Gamergate and ask them if they know about Watergate. I'm interested in hearing the results.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
nephew is definitely a game, niece used to be until she hit puberty and started caring more about snapchat than RPGs.

off topic, but my niece used to play everquest with me even
frown.png
now she's just boy crazy. sad pharmakos is sad.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Almost nobody in my circle of friends knows wtf GamerGate is and only a handful have even heard about it in passing(and still don't know what it's about). I'm like the only one with GG PTSD.
frown.png

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I claimed, and I stand by the claim, that Gamergate is currently a bigger part of the public consciousness than Watergate, especially among young people and ESPECIALLY among gamers. I made this point to stress that the kids playing Paper Mario are not going to think "Watergate" when they see that joke, they're going to think "a '-gate' scandal joke", due in no small part to the recent popularity of Gamergate.

You claiming "but kids don't know who Zoe Quinn is!" doesn't change any of that.
Maddeningly retarded.

Algiz

N00b
Deflategate is currently a bigger part of the public consciousness than Gamergate.

Tom Brady must be fucking pissed that Nintendo is attacking him like this.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
To be fair, it's entirely possible I'm greatly overestimating Gamergate's influence. Hanging around here can distort my perspective a bit. I'm pretty sure that very few people I know IRL know or care about GG.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Oh wow no fucking shit. Glad it only took you this long to realize that one of the most famous scandals of all time that everyone learns about in history class might more quickly come to peoples' minds when it is explicitly referenced than a derivatively named minor Internet drama from 2 years ago would.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Canadians don't learn about Watergate in history class. Nor, I would imagine, do most people who don't live in America. We learn about it through hearing it referenced in popular culture.

And I stand by my statement that the -gate suffix has become its own thing and is very well known at this point. I still very, very much doubt the kids playing Paper Mario are going to read that joke and think "Richard Nixon".

khalid

Unelected Mod
Canadians don't learn about Watergate in history class. Nor, I would imagine, do most people who don't live in America. We learn about it through hearing it referenced in popular culture.

And I stand by my statement that the -gate suffix has become its own thing and is very well known at this point. I still very, very much doubt the kids playing Paper Mario are going to read that joke and think "Richard Nixon".
Well, that is one interpretation. That your history class didn't talk about the Moon Landing, or Watergate, nor did your science class teach you elementary engineering.

Or maybe you are just an idiot or simply didn't pay attention or crack open a fucking history book or a science book your entire life.

Algiz

N00b
Right. Let's set aside the various -gate scandals that are easily larger/better known than Gamergate (Deflategate, Spygate, CLimategate, Emailgate are all shoe-ins. And while some of the-gate stuffixesseem retarded, I would still place many of the events far ahead of Gamergame). The most likely situation is that kids (and most people) playing this game will read that joke and think "haha generic -gate scandal".

So let's say someone threw an absolute shitfit that it was a Gamergate reference. Would that person's reaction be justified?

And here we are.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Right. Let's set aside the various -gate scandals that are easily larger/better known than Gamergate (Deflategate, Spygate, CLimategate, Emailgate are all shoe-ins. And while some of the-gate stuffixesseem retarded, I would still place many of the events far ahead of Gamergame). The most likely situation is that kids (and most people) playing this game will read that joke and think "haha generic -gate scandal".

So let's say someone threw an absolute shitfit that it was a Gamergate reference. Would that person's reaction be justified?

And here we are.
Of course it wouldn't be justified. I've acknowledged as much.

I'm glad we're finally on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.