The Umbrella Academy

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So if Elliot page is gay, does that mean he was a gay man pretending to be a gay woman in the show? Acting!

Kiki

Log Wizard
Wouldn't he be hetero now? So how can you be queer, trans, and non-binary all at the same time? Wait another year, he'll be black too for privilege bingo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wouldn't he be hetero now? So how can you be queer, trans, and non-binary all at the same time? Wait another year, he'll be black too for privilege bingo.
Muslim, with a headscarf despite being a man now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Getting off Page a bit, this is one of the few shows that I dont really mind the gay in and actually quite like the gay dude in it because hes funny and its well written part. Its also done subtle and not pushed down your throat. Probably my fave "hero" in the show. The fucking cult leader thing last season and him running from his flock was fucking classic.

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 7 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Getting off Page a bit, this is one of the few shows that I dont really mind the gay in and actually quite like the gay dude in it because hes funny and its well written part. Its also done subtle and not pushed down your throat. Probably my fave "hero" in the show. The fucking cult leader thing last season and him running from his flock was fucking classic.
The trick is gay is real life. Interracial couples are real life. Blacks being successful is real life. Women being President of the United States is real life.. wait scratch that one, its fantasy. The point being its ok to show this and represent it in film and tv. The key is to not make a big deal about it when you show it. Hollywood needs to stop beating this shit over people's heads. Every gay person in American doesn't talk and act like Richard Simmons. Just write them as good characters and if one is gay, or black then that is just part of the wardrobe. This is why Klaus works in the show and why Page's character doesn't. Klaus is just some drunken self-medicating hedonist who happens to be gay. In my eyes Klaus being gay doesn't change his character in a meaningful way. He could have been written as straight and the character barely skips a beat.

• 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>

I agree with this. Klaus is a character who happens to be gay. Gay isn't the defining character trait, it's just one trait. And I think that is the key difference. The Vanya arc in season 2 was predominantly all about her being gay and flipping a housewife. Some of this might also be them realizing that the actor playing Klaus is fantastic, and Ms/Mr Page is apparently over time becoming less and less "multi dimensional".

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>

I agree the actor and to an extent the character are great, probably the best on the show. But are you serious with the gay being "subtle"? Half of season 1, and all of season 2 was dedicated to his gay storyline.

I'd agree that him being gay "should" have been just one of his traits, not his defining trait. However when he only has 3 traits portrayed in the show (being a drug addict, being a psychic, and being gay) and they spend 90% of the show on his gay storyline, I'd say they made that his defining trait. Of course they did. "Subtle" isn't in their vocabulary.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I agree the actor and to an extent the character are great, probably the best on the show. But are you serious with the gay being "subtle"? Half of season 1, and all of season 2 was dedicated to his gay storyline.

I'd agree that him being gay "should" have been just one of his traits, not his defining trait. However when he only has 3 traits portrayed in the show (being a drug addict, being a psychic, and being gay) and they spend 90% of the show on his gay storyline, I'd say they made that his defining trait. Of course they did. "Subtle" isn't in their vocabulary.

lol all of Season 2 isn't dedicated to that storyline

The story mostly focuses on 5.

Sterling

El Presidente
lol all of Season 2 isn't dedicated to that storyline

The story mostly focuses on 5.
Right. Klaus' sexuality is far from subtle but it's not all consuming either and the actor is doing pretty good work so it's not really a problem.

Some shows do gay characters a lot better than others. For example, The Expanse has a number of gay couples and they never beat you over the head with it. They're just there.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
i know nothing about this show, but i just read that Ellen Page is a fucking man now? what in the holy fuck is going on? as posted, yeah she should be fired from her female roles because a man is playing a woman and she is now part of the Patriarchy.

Exactly!!

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So since her character is a woman she should now have to step down as to avoid "malewashing" a character and denying a woman the role? Right? Am I following how this works now?
God I hope so. My wife even complains about how she hates Mr/Mrs Page in the role. The character itself isn't bad (I think it is), but Ellen fucking sucks.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Its not the actor. The character itself has no redeeming qualities and exists pretty much solely as a foil to the rest of the siblings. The show would be better without that character entirely.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So speaking of the show again, the wife and I finally watched the last episode tonight. What a shit show.

I feel like season 2 started off with a decent amount of potential. And even up through episode 9 was still an interesting premise (although the stuff in the FBI building was a bit...ridiculous).

But that finale? What the fuck? Just MacGuffin after MacGuffin, retarded character placement, and all around ridiculous situations ruined everything they built up. What a let down.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

The love of his life dies in his arms in season 1. In season 2 he has a chance to make sure that doesn't happen but that means the two of them never have a relationship. He shows character growth by denying his selfish side and trying to save the person he loves. That story line is as old as time travel stories and it would have been the same in this show whether he was straight or gay. Now, they did choose to use the closeted boy trying to prove his masculinity by joining the army as the hook, but there are straight kids that join the army because they are teased for being pansies. I hate story lines that are shoehorned in for diversity more than any other dumb reason, but to me this isn't an example of one of them.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users