The Umbrella Academy

Cybsled

I'm wondering how they are going to handle explaining that in the show - only 2 options I see is they fully embrace the "this is the real me" route and they mention some subplot where Vanya transitions, or they handwave it away by saying wibbly wobbly timey wimey and Vanya turned into a guy because the timeline changed or something

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's an interesting development from a "weaponizing the argument" standpoint. The same way "feminism" and "equality" pushed for letting trans athletes play in the sport in which they identified, but instead just ended up with men demolishing women sports. This sets precedent for rewriting characters for actors. It's not white washing anymore, it's how the actor self identifies.

Chris

Potato del Grande
has any single actor personally ruined an entire show this much before?
I want to say Doctor Who but that was the entire cast and writing team.

In the 90s a guy called Homer Simpson ruined the Ichy and Scratchy Show with his Poochy Character, they wrote him out pretty quickly though.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I'm wondering how they are going to handle explaining that in the show - only 2 options I see is they fully embrace the "this is the real me" route and they mention some subplot where Vanya transitions, or they handwave it away by saying wibbly wobbly timey wimey and Vanya turned into a guy because the timeline changed or something

They will just make it a different timeline/multiverse wibbly wobbly bullshit thing. Oh like she's a guy now, crazy huh. Not like it matters, I barely made it through season 2 with the evil white man, lesbo plots. No way in hell I'm bothering with season 3.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Fucking lol. Yup, I'm out.

It started so good. Even had a fan favorite openly gay character with a gay romance as a major plot point, and it worked, but was that enough for them?

Of fucking course not. It's never enough.

I don't want to know what comes next

Caliane

I want to say Doctor Who but that was the entire cast and writing team.

In the 90s a guy called Homer Simpson ruined the Ichy and Scratchy Show with his Poochy Character, they wrote him out pretty quickly though.
yeah. theres show's where its clearly the whole team. like, batwoman. Ruby rose may have been awful, but so was the entire show.

Felicity in Arrow maybe. Weasley crusher. Author favorites who ruin the show. but, this was more then that as well. horrible, horrible acting. just totally bending the knee to the actor themselves.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's probably the most egregious part of this. She was/is the weakest member of the cast. Her acting was very wooden, and the character was written like shit too.

So they're bending everything towards the worst part of the show.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I want to say most of The CW shows wether it was Felicity, Iris from flash, or Lana from Smallville we're just bad

fris

Vyemm Raider
Oh I'm embracing this. I hope we get a shirtless Viktor vs Vanya battle! Something Van Dam would be proud of. And just bathe in the confusion of why views drop after that episode

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Fucking lol. Yup, I'm out.

It started so good. Even had a fan favorite openly gay character with a gay romance as a major plot point, and it worked, but was that enough for them?

Of fucking course not. It's never enough.

I don't want to know what comes next
It is legitimately insane because it lays bare the whole progressive lie.

This forum full of 40 year old dudes had absolutely no problem, by and large, with literally the gayest part of the show because it never once tried to hit you over the head with how gay it was, rather it was an actual heartbreaking love story that would have been poignant regardless of the people involved.

It is truly a pity that the 90s liberals never realized they won and had to keep pushing to die on worse progressive hills.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Rime

<Donor>
It is legitimately insane because it lays bare the whole progressive lie.

This forum full of 40 year old dudes had absolutely no problem, by and large, with literally the gayest part of the show because it never once tried to hit you over the head with how gay it was, rather it was an actual heartbreaking love story that would have been poignant regardless of the people involved.

It is truly a pity that the 90s liberals never realized they won and had to keep pushing to die on worse progressive hills.

It is shocking that people will accept non-'normal' relationships when they have good acting and make sense to the story, without being hamfisted checklist additions to derail the story or try to teach you a lesson. (This is sarcasm. Klaus is easily the best/only redeeming quality of the majority of the show.)

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It is shocking that people will accept non-'normal' relationships when they have good acting and make sense to the story, without being hamfisted checklist additions to derail the story or try to teach you a lesson. (This is sarcasm. Klaus is easily the best/only redeeming quality of the majority of the show.)
Six.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
has any single actor personally ruined an entire show this much before?
the most famous is Oliver in The Brady Bunch.

• 1Like