The Umbrella Academy

Fedor

<Banned>
“He has hurt LGBTQ people so badly as the governor of Indiana,” Page said, “and I think the thing we need to know, and I hope my show Gaycation did this in terms of connecting the dots, in terms of what happened the other day to Jussie, I don’t know him personally, I send all of my love, connect the dots.

2IyKzHx.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Pretty good show, as already mentioned, it hit all those notes that make me really enjoy the X-Men. Felt like it could have either cut down a couple of episodes or more time given to fleshing out the antagonist(s) side of things. Honestly if Netflix can keep going with stuff like this I won't miss the Marvel shows at all, as outside of the last Daredevil, I felt this was quite a bit better.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Binged it over the weekend- 7/10. Entertaining but nothing amazing. I enjoyed Klaus and Number 7, but the whole series despite being entertaining felt like there was lost potential. I would have liked to have seen more childhood superhero teamwork, and was it ever explained how Number 6 died?

Yeah it would be good to see more of the team functioning on missions as quasi idealized versions of comic heroes similar to the one bank mission. Hopefully if they do another season they will explore more of that.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I ended up rewatching some of the episodes while I was at a friends place. I love that dance scene in the first episode.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The dance scene and the bank scene in the first episode are just gold. The only downside being that the bank heist vignette doesn't really showcase Klaus's powers like it does all the others which makes Hargraves statement to Vanya a bit strained.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are there a whole run of comics around this? I've only seen the first 3 episodes and know nothing of the source material but the first show mentioned dozens of other babies born so there should be plenty of fodder for future seasons.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
There have been three main 'series' in The Umbrella Academy and this Netflix series actually adapts the first two of the three. There were a handful of standalone stories, mostly that took place in the heydey of the team when they were teenagers.

In the original comic
The 7 kids are the only ones out of the 43 who survived... or at least allegedly survived. They could obviously mine this, especially as the TV series doesn't use that language.

Finished binging the series and without spoiling anything the song on the final episode credits was absolutely perfect and, naturally, covered by Gerald Way.

Last edited:

Xevy

Log Wizard
Pretty good. Watched it all in one go. I'd say 8/10 for a Netflix series. Seemed like #1 was rarely as strong as he was supposed to be. Kind of a shitty superpower if he's barely stronger than anyone else. Hazel fucked him up.

Speaking of Hazel, that dude rules. He was great as Ed Geines in Mindhunter and he's one of the tech support guys in the PD in Barry. He's a great character actor. Just comes off as affable and threatening at the same time. And his tone of voice is just so calm and collected like he's thought really hard about everything before he's said it.

Also fuckin' Mary J Blige. Wut. Good for her.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty good. Watched it all in one go. I'd say 8/10 for a Netflix series. Seemed like #1 was rarely as strong as he was supposed to be. Kind of a shitty superpower if he's barely stronger than anyone else. Hazel fucked him up.

Speaking of Hazel, that dude rules. He was great as Ed Geines in Mindhunter and he's one of the tech support guys in the PD in Barry. He's a great character actor. Just comes off as affable and threatening at the same time. And his tone of voice is just so calm and collected like he's thought really hard about everything before he's said it.

Also fuckin' Mary J Blige. Wut. Good for her.

Elaborate!

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I felt from the first two minutes or so it will be a great show and it is. I highly recommend it.
But as best actor, is not Hazel, it is the chimp. The chimp rules.

Edit for a question...
I think I missed something, from where did Number Five get the eye from the first episode ? Did he just had it in the future and brought it with him ?

Last edited:

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I felt from the first two minutes or so it will be a great show and it is. I highly recommend it.
But as best actor, is not Hazel, it is the chimp. The chimp rules.

Edit for a question...
I think I missed something, from where did Number Five get the eye from the first episode ? Did he just had it in the future and brought it with him ?

You see exactly where he gets it in a later episode, suffice it to say he's held on to it for a very very long time

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Im on episode 7. I know nothing of the source material but it feels like a Young Adult book adaptation. It's alright I guess though a lot of it is cheesy and there is some pretty lackluster acting going on. Also a lot of nonsensical plot devices, like someone who can jump through space and time stealing a plumber's van and then using it as a stake out vehicle... in the middle of a city... for days.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Also Robo Mom was super hot. She's naked in the movie Anon with Clive Owen. You're welcome.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Finishing ep 4. Really enjoying this.

So, how does Netflix have so much success? Are they just funding a ton of things and kinda weeding out the shit? I feel like Netflix has so many good shows compared to network TV.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

So, how does Netflix have so much success? Are they just funding a ton of things and kinda weeding out the shit? I feel like Netflix has so many good shows compared to network TV.

It feels like the just advertise the shows that may actually be good and bring in eyes. There are quite a few shows that pop up on Netflix that I never saw anything about. Also I have to believe they are getting a lot of overseas money too. There are a lot of bullshit Bollywood and Korean stuff on there now. I bet that offsets some of the costs of American shows.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
They're not even weeding out the bad stuff. They put it up too.

The secret is throwing money around to anyone that can run a show start to finish.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider

Network tv gets paid by ads. Netflix gets paid by the end user, and they are global. Netflix also isn't locked into any kind of daily schedule. Networks need individual shows to get viewers, Netflix just needs people to subscribe.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Netflix works because they care primarily about entertaining their users rather than selling vaginal yeast treatments. They also have the power of direct analytics to show them exactly what people watch and what they like.

Neilsen research fucked up big time with their incredibly corrupted sampling model and crippled a couple decades of entertainment as a result.

Sterling

El Presidente
Netflix took a lot of losses when they put a bunch of money into original content. Even those Stand Up comedy specials aren't super cheap. But it helps build up a brand and they have a shitload of subs now.