The Umbrella Academy

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Luther, literal cyclops/leonardo archetype. The lamest power, daddy's good boi, and the defacto leader that no one wants to listen to. They should've made him actually really strong instead of sometimes kinda strong.
The bank robbery scene when they're kids he's a bad ass

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of the dancing scene, that episode and what happened in the episode following was a very refreshing way to tell a story. Was probably what made me appreciate the show more than anything else even though the rest was good as well.

• 2Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
They haven't announced it yet but rumors about Netflix scouting locations for S2 seem to indicate it's going to happen. Watched this with the wife, thought it was very good. Whoever said this is like X-men behind the scenes in their 'real life' is spot on. Number 7 is basically the equivalent of Dark Phoenix (in terms of power level). They have a ton of direction where they can go for S2 (more in depth on the father's origins, Ben's death, etc.)

One point that maybe I am missing.
One of the Commission's tasks was to protect the boyfriend yet 7 eventually kills him. I had this thought that he was going to use her to destroy the Academy (and the world) which is why the Commission wanted him protected but yet it happens anyway. Kind of weakens the narrative that the Commission is the one thing that keeps time happening as it should imo.
He needed to be kept alive long enough to trigger Page into psychotic killer mode to start the apocalypse. Mission Accomplished.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Supposedly in the comics (haven't read them was said in a previous page) the 7 were the only ones that survived. They can cover that in about 30 seconds with "and then they hit puberty, their untrained powers manifested, and they all went splat".

My guess for S2 is child actors and "we have to include 7 in the group so that she doesn't assplode the moon". Seems ambitious though. They may pop into the teenage years or something so they can use 20something actors for it.

Or they may go an entirely different direction and have the apocalypse resolution happen offscreen. That would make me chortle. I'm totally fine with that if they have a different story of the same quality that they want to tell. The last 20 minutes of the series or so was easily the weakest part of the whole. I don't -really- need to see an entire season of "lets be friends with the awkward girl".

Caliane

If you didn't see Klaus being gay/bi immediately, I don't think your intuition is very good. I mean, he literally wore a skirt in the first episode. I know cross dressing =/= gay, but come on. Also him wearing man-liner and just being overly theatrical. Was pretty fucking gay, dude.

5's actor was great as a know-it-all old man being cocky as fuck in a 13 year old's body. Ellen Page's character sucked, but not because her acting. I think the character was just shit. The only part I thought was good was when she murdered Pogo. Her asking him if he knew was the only time I felt any sort of thing for her. Still felt she was wrong, but felt SOMETHING for her character.

So apparently the kids are ranked in reverse for power. So 1 is the weakest, 7 is the strongest. So Ben was 6? Weird he died. Also I'm sure everyone would argue 5 is > 7. Probably. Poor Luther, literal cyclops/leonardo archetype. The lamest power, daddy's good boi, and the defacto leader that no one wants to listen to. They should've made him actually really strong instead of sometimes kinda strong.
spaceboy did get a bit of a hit from the combining of Dallas and apoc suite.

He loses the fight with Hazel. Which really does make him seem not very special at all. Comic version never fights em iirc. and Hazel specifically does have super human str himself.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah Luther needed a bit more time to shine instead of just being a 'goody-two-shoes' who gets fucked by fate. It does, however, reinforce the notion that while the leadership order was in rank from 1-7, the overall power of the kids was in reverse order with number 1 being the weakest and number 7 the strongest.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
All the actors did great especially Klaus and number 5. Main character that sucked was Vanyas love interest. Space boy was annoying but mainly do to the writing

Mary j blinge was surprisingly good and the guy that plays hazel is always good

Ironically after being basically tortured by an abusive father that vanya falls for a dick bag murderer actually seems pretty authentic.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
spaceboy did get a bit of a hit from the combining of Dallas and apoc suite.

He loses the fight with Hazel. Which really does make him seem not very special at all. Comic version never fights em iirc. and Hazel specifically does have super human str himself.

I got the impression that both Hazel and Cha Cha were superhuman (really anyone from the Commission including boss lady since she survives an explosion).

iannis

Musty Nester
I liked S1 Punisher a lot, too. But yeah, this is better I think. The middle of punisher sagged a bit... first 3 and last 3 were great. Middle was forgettable. Too much castle wants to be the family man. But I still liked it a lot.

This one's strong all the way through. There's a little bit of sag within episodes, but no string of sag.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Best marvel Netflix series, imo, by far.

Umbrella Academy isn't Marvel though, it's Dark Horse (Hellboy, etc.).

I got to admit, I'm not sure how good it would be if they are all kids again in S2. The actor who played five was pretty good but you may not get that with all of them.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hrmm I guess I'm in the minority here. I thought this was pretty boring. Bland, telegraphed story with mostly weak acting.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Sure you don't wanna go on an angry rant about how I'll never be able to enjoy a TV show because I don't have a wife?

• 1Worf

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Sure you don't wanna go on an angry rant about how I'll never be able to enjoy a TV show because I don't have a wife?
No, one has nothing to do with the other, but ironically the reason you don't like this show is the same reason you don't have a wife...you are an asshole 😁

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Came here earlier to post (but got distracted) that I finished this last night and really enjoyed. The boyfriend catalyst/bad guy was heavy handed and predictable but I still enjoyed watching it unfold. As someone else mentioned a few pages ago I really liked the ending with the time travel angle, it provides endless opportunities.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I can see how your think it was boring. It was fairly telegraphed, but it was the actors and production value that appealed to me more than the plot. Hazel and can cha were great iterations of their trope. Klaus was great in a weird, "this is what Sean Penn should have been" way. Really they all were.

And for a comic book story even the plot was pretty good. Most comic book plots are not.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
The bank robbery scene when they're kids he's a bad ass
There were so many great scenes. Watched with the wife and she was dying at Klaus pretending to be Five's dad at Meritech, between him striking just the right balance of crazy, the terrified look on the lab guy's face, and Five going from "what the fuck" to that knowing smirk after getting punched in the face. Good shit.

Great casting and music too. Looking forward to s2.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well... like just about any Wes Anderson film, you go for the character studies and interaction. The story is an afterthought to the set piece.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I can see how your think it was boring. It was fairly telegraphed, but it was the actors and production value that appealed to me more than the plot. Hazel and can cha were great iterations of their trope. Klaus was great in a weird, "this is what Sean Penn should have been" way. Really they all were.

And for a comic book story even the plot was pretty good. Most comic book plots are not.

It was telegraphed, but still ended up finishing differently than I thought with a couple of twists in between.

• 1Like